Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New California ordered but wrong spec delivered, what are my options?

Thanks again all. We did some of our own research and found a top spec beach already assigned to a dealer in a different group. I think this did not come up on the search my dealer did because it is already registered. I called that dealer and it’s available, but more expensive than my vehicle had been (similar spec but I had negotiated a good discount before) and the new dealer weren’t prepared to come down on the price. My original dealer called the new dealer to request an Inter-dealer vehicle transfer but the new dealer has said no. I guess they will lose the potential sales profit if they do and would rather we bought it direct from them. I would be happy to do this but would expect my original dealer to compensate me by making up the price difference so I’m not out of pocket. Infuriatingly they have refused to do this which I think is unacceptable, so plan to escalate it to VW tomorrow. Whilst hoping the van doesn’t get sold to someone else in the meantime.

Just to add what others have said. We have a beach camper and:
- we have art velours seats. They’ve been under covers for 3 years. I wouldn’t bother getting them again.
- we have front fog lights but not sure what they add over LED headlights. They wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.
- we have a tow bar (and had a tow bar bike rack) but ended up getting a tailgate bike rack anyway as easier to leave on and forget about.

I would obtain legal advice, and get to the bottom of who made the mistake on the order. If it was factory they should be able to cover the difference to mention on the other garage refusing to lower it. If it was the garage that did the mistake you should get the compensation or difference without much more wasting time.

I would obtain legal advice, and get to the bottom of who made the mistake on the order. If it was factory they should be able to cover the difference to mention on the other garage refusing to lower it. If it was the garage that did the mistake you should get the compensation or difference without much more wasting time.
OP says it was a code error by the dealership. I don't see VW being part of the problem. The dealership are the ones who need to bend over backwards to make it right. But sounds like they are hoping the buyer will go away quietly. Not sure what comeback OP now that the vehicle has been rejected. Only thing guaranteed is that any deposit paid has to be returned. Litigation will be a real headache and not worth the legal costs IMHO. Better just to keep pressuring VW and the dealership for some reasonable solution, failing that walk away.

Thanks again all. We did some of our own research and found a top spec beach already assigned to a dealer in a different group. I think this did not come up on the search my dealer did because it is already registered. I called that dealer and it’s available, but more expensive than my vehicle had been (similar spec but I had negotiated a good discount before) and the new dealer weren’t prepared to come down on the price. My original dealer called the new dealer to request an Inter-dealer vehicle transfer but the new dealer has said no. I guess they will lose the potential sales profit if they do and would rather we bought it direct from them. I would be happy to do this but would expect my original dealer to compensate me by making up the price difference so I’m not out of pocket. Infuriatingly they have refused to do this which I think is unacceptable, so plan to escalate it to VW tomorrow. Whilst hoping the van doesn’t get sold to someone else in the meantime.
I don't think you said who the original dealer was.... Some are quite aggressive to deal with and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you needed to go legal.

You need a dialogue with the VW Executive Office so between them, the original dealer and the new dealer a proper result can be obtained.

I'm actually surprised the old dealer couldn't transfer the vehicle. I'm sure it's because the new one think they have a baked-in sale of it to you.

Tbh I thought dealers switched stock all the time.

Thinking about this a bit more, maybe a formal letter to the original dealer, sent by Special delivery, copying the MD of the dealership laying out your losses and that you intend to pursue them might be a good idea.

Then send a copy of that to the VW Executive office outlining that other dealers aren't playing ball to help sort out the issue.

The OP needs to be clear as to what is exactly stated in the sales contract. By rejecting the vehicle that contract becomes null and void though. Maybe a trip to citizens advice is a no cost option for some feedback.

Hopefully the dealer isn't Eurovans

I ordered a new California Beach Camper in April 2024, taking advantage of the 5 year 0% finance offer before manufacture of the T6.1 ends. Unfortunately when it arrived at my dealership the spec is wrong - Tour not Camper (!), no nav upgrade, no auxiliary heater, no towbar. I understand my options at this point would ordinarily be (1) reject it and get a refund, or (2) wait for a replacement vehicle of the correct spec. But of course manufacture of the T6.1 has now finished and no new orders can be placed. So I feel like I'm trapped - this vehicle isn't right (at a fundamental level - Tour not Camper) but I don't want to walk away because I won't be able to afford an alternative vehicle elsewhere without the 0% finance deal. Any thoughts or comments welcome...
We were told by our dealer just yesterday that the 0 % deal is back for stock vehicles

Buy a Ford Nugget instead and stick two fingers up at VW.

IMG_0812.jpeg

(…just joking of course!)

Last edited:
Back