Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Here at last ....

F

Frank

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all, nice to 'meet' you

Being compleatly new here and astounded by the amount of info !

I'm about to buy my first Cali however I'm concerned about resale values in light of how the government views diesel engines these days. I'm looking at a beach 150ps and any advice would be fab
Thanks Frank

Hi, welcome.

One thing you do not need to worry about with a Cali is resale value - better than 90% of all other vehicles.

Any real punishing diesel issues will be a long way down the line.

Hello Frank and a warm welcome to the forum.

I think that worries about residuals on a diesel Cali are a long way down the road yet, and there are probably 20 million diesel car owners that have more cause to worry than you :D

Hi all, nice to 'meet' you

Being compleatly new here and astounded by the amount of info !

I'm about to buy my first Cali however I'm concerned about resale values in light of how the government views diesel engines these days. I'm looking at a beach 150ps and any advice would be fab
Thanks Frank
Welcome!

They are doing a petrol version now if you are still concerned. I'm sure it will drive well.

However the real world fuel economy is likely to be about 25mpg compared to about 40mpg for the diesels.

So if you keep it for ten years and do 10k miles per year with current fuel costs the petrol will cost approx £7,800 more than the diesel over that period. It's only £65 per month which may be inconsequential but it is a factor I'd consider when deciding between Diesel and petrol, especially if it is the financial (resale value) that is driving the decision.

(Calls based on:
Petrol 25mpg for 10k miles = 400gal/yr = 1,818l litres + £1.20 = £2,182/yr
Diesel 40mpg for 10k miles = 250gal/yr =1,137 litres + 1.23 = £1,398/yr

It will not surprise me if the tax levied on diesel is slowly increased to force domestic buyers to choose an alternative. However the entire commercial road delivery system used diesel and it will cripple companies if they do, so things will happen slowly.

I suspect measures will happen in cities to levy additional taxes on high CO2 (like in Germany) and diesel vehicles so that domestic vehicles can be singled out without impacting commercial vehicles.

This is all just speculation. I ordered an earth destroying 4Motion diesel. Remember follow the money, that's where you'll find the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure real world (really real brim to brim calculated) consumption for the average Cali owner, many with it as an only car and with lots of short journeys, is 40mpg. Seems optimistic to me.

And average Cali miles per year is less than half the 10,000 figure and must be 5000 or less. Just look at vehicles for sale - many with less miles than this.

There was a big topic on this a while back - you need to also add in typically lower servicing and RFT which is a huge cost now in the UK.

The figures will be closer than you think. And many will see other benefits to petrol other than financial.

But following the figures you give but working on a more typical 5000 miles a year and 35mpg diesel, 25mpg petrol the cost difference between diesel and petrol is just £290 a year.

As I say you need to allow for cheaper RFT and servicing too.

Does not mean much when you are spending near £70k on a Cali! Or even a lot less. :)

T7's will be petrol/electric hybrid I understand.

Last edited:
Not sure real world (really real brim to brim calculated) consumption for the average Cali owner, many with it as an only car and with lots of short journeys, is 40mpg. Seems optimistic to me.

And average Cali miles per year is less than half the 10,000 figure and must be 5000 or less. Just look at vehicles for sale - many with less miles than this.

I think you're probably right. I think it's going to take a long time to convince diesel drivers to go hybrid though. It's interesting in Norway, there is a big push to get people to switch to full electric vehicles. The country predominantly produces electricity from hydro, so switching all vehicles to electric will make the country very green. If only Lithium batteries could be produced with little environmental impact.....

There was a big topic on this a while back - you need to also add in typically lower servicing and RFT which is a huge cost now in the UK.

The figures will be closer than you think. And many will see other benefits to petrol other than financial.

But following the figures you give but working on a more typical 5000 miles a year and 35mpg diesel, 25mpg petrol the cost difference between diesel and petrol is just £290 a year.

As I say you need to allow for cheaper RFT and servicing too.

Does not mean much when you are spending near £70k on a Cali! Or even a lot less. :)

Interested on your comment about petrol/hybrid. Where did you get that info please?

Don't get me started on resale value ...;)
If i was buying now i get a petrol .

Welcome btw....

Don't get me started on resale value ...;)
If i was buying now i get a petrol .

Welcome btw....
We have rather hi jacked this intro. I'm backing off. Sincerely welcome and you've probably realised there are a lot of people on here passionate about all things California!

A very warm thank you .....I don't do social media normally, I've seen the effect on my teenagers ! .

An earth destroying 4motion sounds the business.........that'll really get them going .

Best wishes all, Frank

We were told you can't get the night heater in the petrol?

How true that is I don't know...

:welcome

word on the street is that a modern eu6 diesel is cleaner than a petrol engine now with noxious gas etc so hope we don't have owt to worry about tax wise for a good few years yet......but I'm sure it's coming because any excuse to tax someone they ALWAYS do it. if I was buying a car it's an easy choice but a bigger vehicle needs a diesel.it's a better engine. I wish we all lived on the same planet as America India and china that don't seem to give a rats arse....oh yeah.we do live on the same planet..I forgot...sorry I'm starting to rant