Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hey - going round in circles/navigating the minefield!

steverob55

steverob55

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hello, I'm in the research stage of my camper journey. I hired a T6 conversion in August & am ready to buy but where to put my money? I've viewed a few conversions, and am seeing a couple more very soon. I can't stretch to an Ocean but the Coast is in the same ballpark as a lot of decent conversions. I've specced up and I only want a couple of options - window in canvas, fogs, privacy glass so not getting near the Ocean cost.

I like the idea of a Cali for the factory build quality, the dealer network backup, residual value. I like the idea of a conversion for the personalisation I can have, ability to modify in the future.

I am concerned about the potential price increase on the Cali that might be coming. Am talking to a couple of local dealers now to see what prices I can get.

So, yeh, navigating the minefield!!

I've just seen your post on the T6F!
Try the search function in the top corner also, very helpful and im sure you will find what you need

You should buy the Coast, if you don’t get on and still fancy a conversion, you will get most of your money back. Not sure you could do it the other way round, you may loose more on a conversion?

If you are able to resist and can keep the options to a minimum, I can’t see a 50k Coast loosing much at all.

Hello, I'm in the research stage of my camper journey. I hired a T6 conversion in August & am ready to buy but where to put my money? I've viewed a few conversions, and am seeing a couple more very soon. I can't stretch to an Ocean but the Coast is in the same ballpark as a lot of decent conversions. I've specced up and I only want a couple of options - window in canvas, fogs, privacy glass so not getting near the Ocean cost.

I like the idea of a Cali for the factory build quality, the dealer network backup, residual value. I like the idea of a conversion for the personalisation I can have, ability to modify in the future.

I am concerned about the potential price increase on the Cali that might be coming. Am talking to a couple of local dealers now to see what prices I can get.

So, yeh, navigating the minefield!!
Does Drive The Deal or Autoebid discounts make the Ocean affordable?

A California will hold its value currently "Slightly better",however with the conversion you get in my opinion the same if not better quality to your own specific specification...I would certainly look at converting if I sold my California

Does Drive The Deal or Autoebid discounts make the Ocean affordable?
Drive the Deal are, on the face of it, offering about 8%. Still just out of my reach.

Speaking to a dealer today he offered 4%. Mentioned Drive the Deal and told me that often the price offered the dealers can't actually match.

Has anyone used them?

You should buy the Coast, if you don’t get on and still fancy a conversion, you will get most of your money back. Not sure you could do it the other way round, you may loose more on a conversion?

If you are able to resist and can keep the options to a minimum, I can’t see a 50k Coast loosing much at all.
Thanks, it's so hard to decide. I'd only want 2/3 options, nothing crazy.

A California will hold its value currently "Slightly better",however with the conversion you get in my opinion the same if not better quality to your own specific specification...I would certainly look at converting if I sold my California
Obviously depends on the conversion! Some are pretty poor. Seen some good ones, but worry about if the company goes bust, the safety aspect of cutting holes in a Transporter.

Yes I should have said that it depends on the conversion obviously a well researched quality conversion I am referring to would be as good if not better than a California in my opinion...It may be controversial on this forum but I really don't rate the California quality .

Yes I should have said that it depends on the conversion obviously a well researched quality conversion I am referring to would be as good if not better than a California in my opinion...It may be controversial on this forum but I really don't rate the California quality .
I am checking out a couple of converters in a week or so - Needingworth (who sell All Season's Leisure vans) and Cambridge Campervans.

Is there a specific area of Cali's you think are poor?

I am checking out a couple of converters in a week or so - Needingworth (who sell All Season's Leisure vans) and Cambridge Campervans.

Roof corrosion can sometimes be an issue long term, but otherwise OK.

In my experience of ownership from new the mechanics of the van appear solid however its the interior that lacks the quality that I expected,for example the under kitchen cupboard doors don't close properly and the handles/catches fall off on every use,the beds are extremely uncomfortable ive spent hundreds on trying to get them comfortable,the plastic parts are all easily marked and scratched without any effort,the parts that look like aluminium are actually silver painted plastic and that rubs off without effort and reveals the plastic underneath,everything is just so fragile and not really practical for this type of vehicle looks great when new but soon looks shabby,im also convinced that the exterior paintwork is not good quality as it chips really easily,obviously this is just my experience of my van I may just have a bad one but not impressed..

Drive the Deal are, on the face of it, offering about 8%. Still just out of my reach.

Speaking to a dealer today he offered 4%. Mentioned Drive the Deal and told me that often the price offered the dealers can't actually match.

Has anyone used them?
I have an Ocean on order via DTD for £59k all in including options (12% discount) - will need to pick up from Eurovans in Crawley. Might be worth a call to them (DTD or Eurovans), whichever California you choose...

I have an Ocean on order via DTD for £59k all in including options (12% discount) - will need to pick up from Eurovans in Crawley. Might be worth a call to them (DTD or Eurovans), whichever California you choose...
That's amazing. Have they given you a delivery date?

That's amazing. Have they given you a delivery date?
Just seen your status that has a date on it!

How was the process of using DTD? I have plugged in a van and got an indicative price back. Not progressed further though. Do dealers then contact you?

Has anyone used them?
We had quotes from Drive the Deal and AutoEBid. AutoEbid was a slightly better price and they were really good. Ours is being built this week :thumb

In my experience of ownership from new the mechanics of the van appear solid however its the interior that lacks the quality that I expected,for example the under kitchen cupboard doors don't close properly and the handles/catches fall off on every use,the beds are extremely uncomfortable ive spent hundreds on trying to get them comfortable,the plastic parts are all easily marked and scratched without any effort,the parts that look like aluminium are actually silver painted plastic and that rubs off without effort and reveals the plastic underneath,everything is just so fragile and not really practical for this type of vehicle looks great when new but soon looks shabby,im also convinced that the exterior paintwork is not good quality as it chips really easily,obviously this is just my experience of my van I may just have a bad one but not impressed..
Well either you have a bad one or I've got a good one. But I don't recognise that description at all. After 6 yrs, 97k miles daily use and many nights away with extended trips to Scandinavia, Italy France and Spain I can honestly say the only change I've noticed is the discolouration on the gas burners from frequent use. Nothing broken, all cupboards work as they should and the aluminium edging still as it was. Not sure where the painted plastic is that you mentioned. Personally we find the beds absolutely fine without any expensive toppers etc;. But that's a personal choice. Apart from one or two mainstream conversions that cost as much if not more for the same base vehicle, not many conversions I've come across would have lasted so well.

We had quotes from Drive the Deal and AutoEBid. AutoEbid was a slightly better price and they were really good. Ours is being built this week :thumb
Thanks for that.

How was the process? You got indicative quote then dealers contacted you? How long did that bit take? How long have you had to wait for build? Thanks!

Main disadvantage of conversions for me was the lack of 'boot' space and the ability to move the rear seat forward or back as required. otherwise usual considerations like basic van base normally used.

I'd not bother with privacy glass as if privacy needed then internal film will be added later.

Just seen your status that has a date on it!

How was the process of using DTD? I have plugged in a van and got an indicative price back. Not progressed further though. Do dealers then contact you?
They were great, very helpful. You need to know exactly what options you want, and be prepared to give your card details to them, even though they don’t take anything from it. DTD/Autoebid are in the business of delivering ‘oven ready’ clients to VW dealers, and get paid about £350 by the dealer when you take delivery of the vehicle.
DTD get a price (the next morning for me) for your spec but don’t tell you which dealership for obvious reasons. I live in London and DTD did divulge that the dealer would be in the south east, and that I will need to go and collect it - no delivery in the price. Once spec agreed/card details passed over, Eurovans Crawley emailed confirming the order and giving me a contact and a receipt for the £1000....
....I then decided I wanted a shower attachment. No real problem, though I had to go back through DTD to add that (discounted) option, order was then amended and revised order confirmation including shower received from Eurovans 48 hours later.
So far so good...

They were great, very helpful. You need to know exactly what options you want, and be prepared to give your card details to them, even though they don’t take anything from it. DTD/Autoebid are in the business of delivering ‘oven ready’ clients to VW dealers, and get paid about £350 by the dealer when you take delivery of the vehicle.
DTD get a price (the next morning for me) for your spec but don’t tell you which dealership for obvious reasons. I live in London and DTD did divulge that the dealer would be in the south east, and that I will need to go and collect it - no delivery in the price. Once spec agreed/card details passed over, Eurovans Crawley emailed confirming the order and giving me a contact and a receipt for the £1000....
....I then decided I wanted a shower attachment. No real problem, though I had to go back through DTD to add that (discounted) option, order was then amended and revised order confirmation including shower received from Eurovans 48 hours later.
So far so good...
Thanks, sounds pretty straight-forward.

Did anyone mention potential price increases to you?

I know no-one knows what will happen for sure, but there's talk of 10-20% increases!

Did anyone mention potential price increases to you?

I know no-one knows what will happen for sure, but there's talk of 10-20% increases!
[/QUOTE]
No...but given the demand you could forgive them for one. I hear there’s usually one 1 November but unlikely the dealers will confirm until 1 November...so if you’re on the fence it’s worth considering ordering in October. You should have no problem cancelling and getting your deposit back I’m told, esp if there’s a Brexit tax.
The £800 1 October one was to cover the cost of improving emissions standards i was told - manadatory Real Driving Emissions Standards 2 (RDE2) from Jan 2021

Ocean or Coast all day long, I have owned a 2019 Ocean from new and before that commissioned a conversion on a LWB T6.

The Ocean was head and shoulders above the conversion, the air of quality space and light IMO can't be beaten by anything I have seen on the conversion market.

When the time is right my next van will be a Coast with 17 inch wheels, fogs, tow bar, privacy glass & panoramic roof. That is pretty much the same spec as the Ocean I sold this year minus the hydraulic roof.

Best of luck with your search, plenty of dealers will match DTD & Autobid quotes.

Back