Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi everyone - Beach vs Ocean

Cali Steve

Cali Steve

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all, After about 10 yrs of wanting a vw camper we are now seriously looking to order a California around September time to be available for March next year.
The dilemma that we face is whether to go for the Beach or the full fat version?
These forums have been a wealth of info on the whole California experience but the more i read the questions i seem to gather.
As a family of 4 We are looking for something to get away in for regular weekend breaks as well as trips abroad and wondered what peoples views are between the two models.
The main difference (Apart from a missing kitchen) for me seems to be the heating system when parked up. I can live with the manual pop up roof, heated seats, and other minor options etc in the price list, but am i missing any other features that are not obvious from the price list?
I'd be interested in other owners views on either model.

Hello and welcome.
The Beach can be ordered with the parking heater so that shouldn't be a problem.
If you want it delivered for March and before the VED increase I would order before September.

Lots of info on here about the pros and cons of the two different flavour Calis, have a play with the search system.

You also need to decide which engine, which gearbox - DSG or manual, and whether you want 4 wheel or 2 wheel drive. Oh - and what colour ....

That should keep you busy for a bit! Good luck :thumb

Hi and welcome ,
It seems like you need the answer on a Q only yoursellf can answer.
If you reed the on the forum the Beach vs. SE/Ocean treads are quite popular....:D
The Cali is a great verhicle either witch version you take , just look at your own needs and finances....
I think a Cali beach is very popular un the UK , here the most Cali's you see are SE/Ocean .
Go and visit a meet and check out both , talk to owners personal.
On here , the debate pro and contra can get heavy....

Last edited:
Welcome :- You need to decide how you want to use cooker.

OCEAN. Kitchen fixed inside so cook inside or BEACH . cook outside or add a rear or side kitchen pod (all adds to set up cost)
for us it works to cook inside all weathers and simple to pull over and put the kettle on. (we carry a outside stove BBQ for good weather trips)

Not a fookin gain???????

Hi all, After about 10 yrs of wanting a vw camper we are now seriously looking to order a California around September time to be available for March next year.
The dilemma that we face is whether to go for the Beach or the full fat version?
These forums have been a wealth of info on the whole California experience but the more i read the questions i seem to gather.
As a family of 4 We are looking for something to get away in for regular weekend breaks as well as trips abroad and wondered what peoples views are between the two models.
The main difference (Apart from a missing kitchen) for me seems to be the heating system when parked up. I can live with the manual pop up roof, heated seats, and other minor options etc in the price list, but am i missing any other features that are not obvious from the price list?
I'd be interested in other owners views on either model.
Welcome.
There is no Right or Wrong answer to this question.
1. Which engine, which gearbox and which drivetrain ie: 2 or 4 wheel drive as not all combinations are available on each model.
2. How will you be using the vehicle? MPV on a frequent or daily basis or just weekends and holidays as a camper?
3. Wild camping or always on a campsite?
4. Always with a standalone awning or never?
5. Do you want to cook in the vehicle? If so do you want a fixed or removable kitchen.
6. Do you plan on using it All Year Round?

Most " Vehicle " options are available on both the Beach and Ocean although some are included in the Ocean base specification already, such as Parking Heater and Fridge.
Price wise, there is very little difference if you specced up either vehicle to the same standard although some items on the Beach would have to come from 3rd parties as VW do not supply them eg: Kitchen Pod, Compressor Fridge etc.
I'm not sure if VW can supply the Twin leisure battery system on the Beach that the Ocean has.

Welcome Steve, get yourself down the VW dealership and check them out in the flesh. They offer two different styles of use even though they look alike. If you have never hired one then do so, only you can make the decision. Search the forum for lots of debate re each models merits.

Welcome Steve, get yourself down the VW dealership and check them out in the flesh. They offer two different styles of use even though they look alike. If you have never hired one then do so, only you can make the decision. Search the forum for lots of debate re each models merits.
What's to disagree @Sp0_0k ?

In fact I recon it would be easier to overload a beach - theres more space to put people & stuff

I would probably happily kill the first person that suggested Albert had a weight problem with just me in it ....:shocked

Haha thx for all the constructive replies, have booked a test drive on Friday, so the saga continues....

Its an imagination thing - with an Ocean you can see what you are buying - a fully kitted out clever shiny camper van - and you buy it. If you look in a Beach and say wheres the cooker fridge washing up and wardrobes then you probably need an Ocean. The Beach is whatever you want it to be

Had one and never used the water tank, could not see the point in filling it up only to fill a waste tank. What is the use of cold water to use in a sink anyway. Use to go to the campsite washing facility. Only used the cooker a couple of time prefering to cook outside on a stove. The fridge was useful and we did sleep in it a few times but found it very cramped for two with the cupboards. Found life much easier with the Khyam we had.The wardrobe seems a waste of time if your camping anyway. I hopefully will go for a Beach this time but I could go Kombi. I can't understand reading through this thread why you are overloading the thing, what are you taking the bath & kitchen sink

I'm used to hanging my clothes on the floor, so had it not been for Mrs I may have gone for a Beach. But I want a peaceful life!

Come to that, I might even have gone for a Sportline window van ...... (and some sound deadening)

I do enjoy the Cali though :)

I heard some 'club' sites do not permit campers unless they have the cooking bit.

I heard some 'club' sites do not permit campers unless they have the cooking bit.
I think that is technically correct but even at the fussiest of club sites no one has ever come out to check my van over (including when I've owned pop tops).

We used to go camping in our white Vivaro works van, which has a certain stigma , but didn't get turned away even from a very posh site that had strict rules against such things. So I don't think you would have a problem in a Beach.

The fridge was useful and we did sleep in it a few times but found it very cramped for two with the cupboards.

I see the problem here and sleeping in the fridge should not count against the Ocean :bananadance