Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi from London, just about to order a Beach Camper.

I’ve picked my T6.1 Camper up last week. What do you want to know? It’s my 3rd Beach, so can advise a little bit.

:welcome There are lots of members with Beaches. And a few now also with the latest T6.1 Beach. Hopefully you can find answers to your questions on the forum.

I’ve picked my T6.1 Camper up last week. What do you want to know? It’s my 3rd Beach, so can advise a little bit.
Hi 2haw,

Many thanks for the response.

Any "must have" or "best to avoid" options I should be selecting?

my current list is:

80 litre fuel tank, Rear view camera, Front and rear parking sensors, Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat, Front and rear mud flaps, Interior light concept for camper with comfort in passenger compartment, Removable/lockable towbar includes trailer stabilisation, Solid - Ascot grey, Steel spare wheel with original equipment tire, 17" Woodstock black diamond turned surface alloy wheels, Mixed dots fabric seat trim covers - Titanium black/ Palladium, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (direct measurement), Basalt grey canvas side bellows includes panorama window, Stronger AGM battery and increased alternator capacity

I would recommend you add the 3 zone climatronic, otherwise no aircon in the rear.

I would also recommend the 3 zone Climate and the Parking heater. This is our first Beach with the parking heater and me and my girls slept in it last weekend. We would never of done that in either of the previous ones, not at this time of the year.

The extra side window (with fly screens) would help for better ventilation during the warmer nights. We have holidayed in France for the last 5 years and I’ve always wanted greater airflow downstairs .

We’ve now got the Art Velours seats and it lifts the interior massively. The van feels more special, like a Caravelle, and to me feels more suitable for a van with this price tag! I really love it.

Heated front seats? A must to me, really missed these on our 2nd van.

From your list, I haven’t got the following:
Stronger battery
Tow bar
Parking Sensors (i just use the rear camera)
Mudflaps
TPMS

i would 100% keep the Comfort mattress, panoramic roof and rear camera that is on your list.

oh... and I’d definitely recommend the LED headlights!

Last edited:
Parking heater (required as calis do not have any insulation in the body panels)
3 zone climate
Parking sensors & rear camera (camera is a pain to fit retrospectively)
Heated seats
Larger fuel tank
Stronger battery

Also check the prices for different audio/ Satnav options. You can buy an aftermarket unit for around £700 incl leads / software adaptor which will often offer better functionality than alot of the VW offerings but will still show camera, climate, reverse sensors etc on the headunit screen.

Hi Orwell,

the million dollar question is how you intend to use the van and budget.

looks like you’ve done your homework.

I have a T6 beach with pretty much every conceivable option available at that time.

there are no options that I don’t use, some are more useful than others.

my top (most used) options would be: (in no order)
camping heater
LED headlights + fogs (fogs not led)
rear camera
front and rear parking sensors
Heated front seats
Rear a/c
Tow bar (for bike rack)
rubber front footwell mats (instead of carpet)
heated front screen (marmite option for some) I love it
Multiflex with Full VW comfort mattress (configurable to various bed lengths) creates a perfectly flat bed and removes contours from the bench seat.

seldom used extras, but still useful
interior light concept pack (lights in tailgate panel and dimmable in the pop top)
spare wheel
fly screens (Jerba not VW)

Extras I wish I had
ACC ( I have normal cruise and would love ACC)
80L fuel tank

options I do not have that I would spec on a new vehicle:
larger battery capacity / charging
Pano bellows.

things I would not pay for:
tyre pressure monitoring (horses for courses)

remember to factor in things like 5 year extended warranty + service plan

good luck in whatever you decide

I just picked up my new T6.1 Beach in pure grey (not metallic paint) and find the paint work very sensitive. Metallic paint may have a stronger resistance and would be my choice next time.

for parking heater: spec the air heater, not the coolant version, if you intend to sleep in it in spring/autumn.

Select the 6-Speaker radio option to have music in the rear. i was told the 4-speaker option only plays in the front.
Don’t see added value of tpms.

Also, I’m not sure yet how long you can last with the parking heater on all night on the leisure battery without electric hook-up. I have only used it with van plugged in.