Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

High Level Brake Light...

B

bournemouthbeach

VIP Member
Hi

You can move if need be didn't know where to put this...

So noticed water inside of tailgate Friday morning and found the high level brake light missing i phoned Breeze Poole to tell them i had water coming in my Beach and it was missing.

Booked me in Saturday morning 10am for a replacement to be fitted under warranty, I was then told that on April 8th that VW had issued a campaign to sort out the high level brake light problem and the Cali's/Transporters affected would be notified... :)

Happy with the prompt service i got from Breeze also a free health check which they videoed and sent me a copy which was pretty cool...

Shaun

Last edited:
Mine is also broken and taped on (discovered it on Saturday when found water in boot) - I'll speak to the dealer in the morning. Almost made it 2 weeks without something breaking!

I got mine changed as well …

Did my own again this weekend, cheaper for me to buy & do it myself than take a day off to get a garage to fix it. Now looking for some replacement trim clips......

Had my new replacement Bendy light fitted in today. It has been upgraded to touch sensitive LED.
Works a treat.

While I was at the dealers they say there was a recall flagged on my vehicle. Turned out VW have accepted the issue with the 'Pop out Light' on the tailgate. Mine has never popped out but they upgraded that for free too while I waited.

So if you take your vehicle in anywhere for a service be sure to ask if there are any recall notices on your vehicle they might upgrade your light while you wait.

That's providing they have the part in stock. My dealer only had 5 there were too many Transporters and Cali's etc to count. So, it will be a massive job to fix everyones tailgate light.

@bournemouthbeach
Many have problems with waterinfiltration arround thirth breaklight and the glass falling out , dealers are aware ....hope VW factory is also!
Is it a 5 or a 6 you'r having?
Please fill in verhicle details as we would love (or hate) to hear if the T6 still got the same issue....

@bournemouthbeach
Many have problems with waterinfiltration arround thirth breaklight and the glass falling out , dealers are aware ....hope VW factory is also!
Is it a 5 or a 6 you'r having?
Please fill in verhicle details as we would love (or hate) to hear if the T6 still got the same issue....
Its there underneath my Avatar :rolleyes:. T5.1 to be precise

No. Why the strange question?

I am asking @bournemouthbeach to fill in verhicle details and you reply that you have ....seems strange to me ...
Anyway just noticed in his underwriting it is a 2014 so now its clear to me.
We are highjacking this tread
:thumb

The term "high level light" seems strangely inappropriate when so many end up in the gutter :shocked

VW Heritage kindly informed me and then replaced my high level brake light under warranty. I only went in to get my winter wheels swapped to the summer set.:D

I was in the dealers to get some trim clips on thursday & asked about the recall, the parts man seemed to think that there was a recall but thought the design of the light hasn't changed but the method of fixing had.

He wasn't clear on what they do differently but my understanding is that as well as the fixing screws on the rear of the light they now put a bead of mastic round the opening & this will glue the lens into the hole rather than just relying on the plastic clips to hold the lens onto the back of the light unit.

I was in the dealers to get some trim clips on thursday & asked about the recall, the parts man seemed to think that there was a recall but thought the design of the light hasn't changed but the method of fixing had.

He wasn't clear on what they do differently but my understanding is that as well as the fixing screws on the rear of the light they now put a bead of mastic round the opening & this will glue the lens into the hole rather than just relying on the plastic clips to hold the lens onto the back of the light unit.
My dealer only had 5 units of whatever the mod update was. It may be just different securing clips and like you say add a blob of glue. I think the actual light does not get changed.
Next person with their Cali in will have to ask what is in the recall update kit.

My high level brake light lens fell out on the way to the last Cali meet! Spoke to my dealer who first of all said it wasn't covered by warranty because it 'had probably been stolen', and then that they couldn't warranty a part that they didn't physically have to send back to VW. I wasn't going to accept paying for a replacement as there had clearly been a fault, so they agreed to replace as 'goodwill'. Then when we spoke to make a booking (once the part had come in to stock) the service advisor told me that now there was a recall for the light. She couldn't tell me anything about the specifics but the van's going in in a few days, so I'll let you know if I can get the details of exactly what the recall/updated parts involve.

Upper brake light replaced yesterday. Product recall is in place and dealers are fast running out of stock. Takes 45 mins as the inside covers need to come off. Takes another 45 mins to get rid of the marks left by the mechanic....

Mine was replaced under warranty last year with no quibbles from my dealer. Water ingress inside tailgate had activated the electric lock closure mechanism which kept buzzing. Stated that it was a common problem to all T5's. There is another thread on here about this. One reason offered was that water gets in behind and can freeze in winter with resultant expansion and breaking of the clips that hold the lens in place. Someone suggests using silicone sealer around the lens to stop the water but hopefully the recall will have addressed this problem.

Can't quite believe it, but after months and months of waiting, have today received a cheque refunding what I paid for the replacement tailgate light - having leaked, irritatingly, the original one blew out on the motorway. The dealer originally said it wasn't covered by warranty, I stupidly believed them. Thanks to all on the forum who have commented on this, really helpful.

Not looking forward to the conversation at the next service about the recall, but I'll try a different dealer.

I noticed the High level brake light has popped out one end today. Phone Carrs in Exeter and they said mine was listed to be done. New one being fitted next Wednesday under warranty. They said it will take about 20 minutes.

I noticed the High level brake light has popped out one end today. Phone Carrs in Exeter and they said mine was listed to be done. New one being fitted next Wednesday under warranty. They said it will take about 20 minutes.
Tape it up in the mean time as water will get in and can cause damage

Did my own again this weekend, cheaper for me to buy & do it myself than take a day off to get a garage to fix it. Now looking for some replacement trim clips......
How does it come apart? I had mine replaced (even though it wasn't broken) and now I have a loose bolt/broken clip or such like inside the tailgate :( every time I open or close the back I hear it rattle about and it's really winding me up!
Don't want to take it back to the dealer as they are effin useless.

Mine popped out and was replaced under warranty just under a year ago. I was in France last month, did a hard brake stop at a junction and heard something clattering across the roof and drop onto the road in front of me. Both parts of the lens had popped out again. My warranty has expired and have booked into garage to be replaced again.

I'm told that there is no guarantee on a 'warranty' repair on this part (this remains with VW after expiry), however garage are checking with customer services to verify this as apparently, there is a recall on Transporters' Brake Lights but apparently not on my 2013 California!

In the interim, have taped up with insulating tape as essential to keep water out.

Just had replacement lens fitted. Apparently my California was included within the 'recall'. Good service again from VW Van Centre, Edinburgh!

Replaced at Carrs Exeter, no problems at all.

Back