Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

High level Brake light cover

holliers

holliers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Morning.

I noticed some rain water on the inside of my rear view window this morning, and a quick inspection revealed that the red, see-through lens for the high-level brake light is missing.

Does anyone know of a good place to get spares, or a good breaker?

I have found a replacement unit at Banwy but (a) I don't need the whole light unit (I don't think) and (b) I'm not sure my fitting skills are up to a whole unit, but they may just be able to stretch to clipping a new lens on.

Sellotape is currently keeping the rain out hopefully!

TIA
Mark

Hi only available as a complete unit i paid £32 from TPS im on my 3rd one in 6 months, they seem to pop out in one corner when tailgate is closed, easy enough to replace 5 screws and some very stubburn trim, which was a bit worrying as i thought i was going to snap it. The last one i ran super glue around the lens hopefully it should stay in..

Thanks for that - 3 times in 6 months!

Will call VW this a.m. and see what they say about fixing it on warrantee.

Thanks again,
Mark

Defiantly a warranty job, I’ve just spoken to the service department to get mine done, unfortunately mine has let water in and has water marked the rear blind so their ordering one of those as well then will arrange a convenient date for me to go and drink their excellent coffee, reading on the t4/t5 forum this is not an uncommon fault I’m going to watch the Tec doing the job so I can learn how to do it in the future give your dealer a call get it booked in hope this helps. :thumb

We have a 2012 and the red cover fell off somewhere on the way to Wales.

The good news is that the LEDs under the cover are red so you are unlikely to get stopped for showing white lights on the back of the van. Not sure if all T5s have LEDs or just face lift ones?

Ours got replaced under warranty.

T

Thanks again for the information.

Dealer is ordering up the part and going to replace. Said he was dealing with a similar issue on a Caravelle when I called.

I'm wondering if mine was leaking for a while before it finally fell off, as I had noticed water on the inside of the window and I feel sure I would have spotted the light cover missing. Might see if a bead of silicone is in order when I take it down to VW.

Thanks all
Mark

I dont think its as uncommon as we think theres a few threads on the t4/t5 forum on this subject :thumb

Hi,
Not happened to me but CT1 is an excellent silicon sealant PLUS adhesive. It's a higher grade of silicon and should keep it sealed and fixed. Good luck.