Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

High mileage T6 beach - depreciation disaster or fine?

D

da_murphster

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
On my quest for a T6 beach I have spotted a 150 with 160k. It’s around the £30k mark which is cheaper than I have seen T5 beaches. Nice spec, only downside is mileage. I’m confident that a well looked after one can hold the miles so it’s mainly resale that I’m worried about. I’m not flush so this is a significant purchase for me.

Nuts idea or so even high mileage versions have decent residuals?

What’s the spec? Has it been properly serviced? I assume the majority of mileage is motorway miles? I mean they’re commercial vehicles and are built for high miles, so…
Is it going to be a daily driver?

If it’s been properly serviced and maintained, you could argue it’s a better proposition than one which has done a couple of thousand a year. Diesel engines really don’t like not being used. You can look up the MOT history if you have the reg no.

Go for the higher spec. Lower spec beaches will be harder to sell.

Check the mileage on each service history tallies against the mielage on the MOT history.

(...Seems too cheap though)

Its this one:

Spec looks good to me (please let me know what you think)

LED lights, comfort pack, climate, heater....most other stuff is standard I think?

Go for the higher spec. Lower spec beaches will be harder to sell.

Check the mileage on each service history tallies against the mielage on the MOT history.

(...Seems too cheap though)
Yeah, I struggle with the non-climate etc on the basic beaches.

I was going to buy a well specced T6 Caravelle 4motion and stick a pop top on it but the ebay one would work out cheaper and much simpler!

It is only the starting bid, could end up quite a bit more?

160k miles isn’t just on the engine, it’s 160 k miles on the vehicle. Bearings, linkages, suspension and everything else on the vehicle.
When was the last time the brake discs and pads were renewed.?
Try WBAC on the vehicle and see what the value is compared to say 50k miles.
Really it’s your money so it’s your choice. But make sure you have some left in your contingency fund just in case.

So what would be a good price?

Previously failed to sell at £35k
Mileage will put people off.
personally I would make contact with the seller, go see it to check it’s all in order, then make an offer,
noting you know it did not sell at £35k I would sound out the seller before you go And see if you can do a deal in principle

on another side of the coin, I sold my T5.1 with in excess of 140k miles, It did not miss a beat in those 140k miles, regularly maintained and serviced, new clutch, timing belt, etc.
these vans are not to Rocket science as far as the mechanicals go, everything can be sourced & fixed relatively easily.

Edit : suspension needed an upgrade at 90k (lowered by 50mm on H&Rs) made a big difference to the handling, (as would replacing the original with a new set of standard suspension shocks,, spring and cups)
apart from that routine maintenance for the whole 140k + miles.

If condition and maintenance are right, I wouldn’t be put off (many would be) but everything has its price. For my money it’s £30K tops, which may not buy it of course (yet…).

WBAC give it a value of £18k.. just goes to show how 162k miles can depreciate your vehicle.
Ok this is ridiculously low but if you try all these companies, there are plenty around it will give you a good idea of its true value.
The value of any vehicle is what someone is prepared to pay for it ..

Not surprised by the trade price. Dealers probably won’t touch it so it’s down to what private buyers are willing to pay. Thinking about that makes it 25….!

A valuation from WBAC is not necessarily an indication of what someone will pay for it,
it is a indication that WBAC can buy it a a low price & sell it immediately at their auction house for more money than they are offering To buy it at !

I’m going to call him later.

My issue is that prices are still covid high and I cannot figure out if these California’s are going to plummet or not.

I’ve been looking at t6 caravelles and there are not many about sub £30k, California’s will always command more, irrespective of mileage.

Thinking, thinking…

Yeah, I struggle with the non-climate etc on the basic beaches.

I was going to buy a well specced T6 Caravelle 4motion and stick a pop top on it but the ebay one would work out cheaper and much simpler!
Caravelle Poptop isn't a recommended conversion due to the roof mounted air system ====that's what I've read a few times so check with a Poptop converter.

Caravelle Poptop isn't a recommended conversion due to the roof mounted air system ====that's what I've read a few times so check with a Poptop converter.
Kernow transporters can do a full elevating Cali roof without the loss of the rear AC, by using all original Cali parts. Not cheap but can be done

Kernow transporters can do a full elevating Cali roof without the loss of the rear AC, by using all original Cali parts. Not cheap but can be done
Hence not recommended.

A valuation from WBAC is not necessarily an indication of what someone will pay for it,
it is a indication that WBAC can buy it a a low price & sell it immediately at their auction house for more money than they are offering To buy it at !
WBAC is not the only site that buys used vehicles. Obviously they are not going to buy your vehicle and then make a loss. WBAC has been buying vehicles and been offering top prices BUT now the pandemic is over and vehicle waiting times have come right down, so what you could get for your car a year ago does not apply any longer.
My son in law sold 2 of his cars on Motorway one of them only a couple of months ago And was very happy indeed. Mind you the car was absolutely mint and only 10k miles.
The XC60 he sold he was having 2 dealers bidding against each other. Within a few days they came to pick up the vehicle and while they were there they transferred the money straight into his account and no extras to pay like WBAC.
Personally I would not buy a vehicle with 162 thousand miles on the clock no Matter what service history it had.
But then that’s my personal opinion and everyone is different.

Looks good to me spec-wise. I feel like a low mileage equivalent would fetch c. £40K, even with the recent dip in prices.

As others have said, the mileage will put most people off, but I feel like Calis will always be worth in excess of £20K regardless of mileage. Just look at some of the T4s for example which are corroding and an overall mess inside. It’s not like a car which will depreciate to £0. With that said, I think it’s worth £30K, tops.

It looks like it’s been serviced accordingly, every 20K considering it’s in frequent use.

It’s totally down to you. If you’re in it for the long term and the spec is what you’re looking for, enquire further.

I paid a slight COVID premium for mine, but I’m in it for the long term, and it’s the perfect spec. for me (what I’d spec. if new) - so I wasn’t too bothered about the residuals. Each to their own.

Thanks for the feedback all - food for thought.

I would look to upgrade the suspension at this mileage it will no doubt be tired.

I would also be looking to upgrade the audio on any van I bought so nice thats already done.

I will potentially take a look at this van - if it needs nothing doing I will consider it, if it's tired and needs work I can see how bills could stack up.

Back