Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

High mileage T6 beach - depreciation disaster or fine?

Don’t worry about mileage. My T5.1 Caravelle has over 265k miles on it. DMF and clutch was replaced at 240k, but otherwise routine service and consumables, including brakes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve still not spoken to the guy yet (Christmas chaos), it’s bloody long way away (500 mile round trip) and the trains are screwed and ridiculously priced to go and view.

Mileage doesn’t scare me (run several cars to near 180k, current t51 caravelle is on 140k and looks/runs great).

Depreciation does scare me.

Not quite sure why the depreciation scares you. The current owner has racked the miles and it is they who will take the depreciation hit, as long as you don’t pay over the odds.

You will enjoy it and when you eventually sell it you will be getting a fair price vs what you paid.

The mileage is not a problem but price has to be reduced accordingly. Many Cali buyers want low miles when buying their precious camper.
I would look at comparitive values for a similar mileage Caravelle to compare.
I saw a T6 Ocean go for less than £38k in Scotland before Christmas at a Vw DEALER! Low spec, met blue with about 80k miles. I wouldn't pay over 30 personally.

Unless you’re planning to go off on mega long trips, you’re only going to add about 6-8k/year. Keep it a few years and it’ll average out to about normal.

This conversation wouldn’t still be going if being a high mileage on a vehicle wasn’t such an important consideration.
You either want a vehicle with a stellar mileage or you don’t.
There are vehicles out there with a humongous mileage but not everyone wants to particularly own one.
For me personally I would go for a well looked after low mileage vehicle and pay the extra rather than a we’ll looked after very high mileage vehicle.
It may well cost you more but but there’s less chance you are buying a money pit.

The mileage is not a problem but price has to be reduced accordingly. Many Cali buyers want low miles when buying their precious camper.
I would look at comparitive values for a similar mileage Caravelle to compare.
I saw a T6 Ocean go for less than £38k in Scotland before Christmas at a Vw DEALER! Low spec, met blue with about 80k miles. I wouldn't pay over 30 personally.
I saw that one. It was entry level spec., manual, literally no notable extras and it sold within 2 or so days of advertising… I think the mileage hardly affected the value, it was largely down to the spec.

I saw that one. It was entry level spec., manual, literally no notable extras and it sold within 2 or so days of advertising… I think the mileage hardly affected the value, it was largely down to the spec.
Yes, went very quickly. Still, the cheapest T6 Cali Ocean I've seen and at a VW dealer too.

At that mileage, I'd have wanted to see evidence that the clutch and dual mass flywheel had been replaced or at least budgeted for the cost of it

I’ve still not spoken to the guy yet (Christmas chaos), it’s bloody long way away (500 mile round trip) and the trains are screwed and ridiculously priced to go and view.

Mileage doesn’t scare me (run several cars to near 180k, current t51 caravelle is on 140k and looks/runs great).

Depreciation does scare me.
If its inconvenient to view in person get a pre-purchase inspection report by a reputable garage (not one recommended by the owner). A compression test would be worthwhile, as would a test on the oil if not changed recently, as these are good indicators on the health of the engine. A PPI will also check the suspension and bushings and have them go around the body with a paint meter or magnet to look for accident damage and paint/bodywork repairs
Doesn't cost a lot and will give you an idea of future short term expenses, which helps to fix an appropriate value in your mind. I bought several vehicles sight unseen in the USA based on such reports.

Its this one:

Spec looks good to me (please let me know what you think)

LED lights, comfort pack, climate, heater....most other stuff is standard I think?
Only 4hrs left!! Ring him in 3!

Surely don’t buy through eBay.

Just remember all this person has is 21 photos of a Beach. Be very careful this isn’t a scam. Do not transfer any money or take a wad of cash anywhere.

I suppose for £30k I would want to go sit in it and immediately feel it’s been very well loved and looked after.

People above seem to be suggesting you’re getting almost £10k discount because of the mileage. That’s pretty good. The biggest question is how long are you going to keep it and how many miles will you add? If you’re pretty confident you will keep for 10 years and add 5k miles a year then it’s a pretty good proposition.

Last edited:

HIGH MILEAGE T6 BEACH - DEPRECIATION DISASTER OR FINE?​

It's not the mileage you should be worrying about. These are basically commercial vehicles that are designed to do high miles.

Instead concentrate on service history, evidence of previous accidents, general condition (inside and out) and finally the asking price.

First, closely look at the service history. Check every receipt and schedule of work carried out and double check it by giving your local VW Commercial Service dept a call. If you give them the registration number they will normally tell you what electronic service information they have for that vehicle. Also ask them what major work should have been done and when. You can then cross reference with the service paper work and ask the owner, if said work has been done in accordance with the service schedule.

Next, never ever buy a second hand vehicle without first getting one of those instant online car history reports done before you even go near the car. All you need is the make, model and registration number. There are various companies that do them. They will tell you what accidents it has had, if any, when and the costs involved. Some will even give you a series of photographs of the damaged vehicle prior to repairs. These reports will also give you details like recalls, MOT dates, any advisories or reasons it failed etc. The mileage is also documented as are the number of owners and reg plate changes, outstanding finance, and whether it's ever been stolen etc. These reports are usually sold as a bundle. I can't remember how much but £30ish should buy you three reports. If you are looking to buy a new vehicle then paying circa £10 for a report could end up being the best £10 you ever spent.

Next look at the condition. Check every panel for damage and defects etc, check the tyres for tread and damage. Are they premium brand tyres, the same on each corner or some miss match of dodgy hitherto unheard of makes? What does the interior look and smell like? Regardless of mileage or age some people really look after their vehicles but alas others don't. Don't be tempted to buy something that the previous owner has used as a builders van cum toilet, in the hope that it will clean up alright. You should quickly get a feel for how well the vehicle has been looked after without looking too far. Make a written note of all defects and damage, as they will become your bargaining chips if you get to the point of actually making an offer.

Price. This has to reflect both the high mileage and all of the above. Get some idea of what similar vehicles cost with normal mileage before you decide what to offer. So do your homework first and go in low. What's the worst that could happen?

If as the title of this thread suggests, high mileage and depreciation is still an issue in your mind then you don't have to buy this one. There are others about.

Finally, NEVER buy a vehicle on Ebay unless you have had the chance to do all of the above and physically examine the vehicle in person. If you are thinking of making an offer without seeing the vehicle in the flesh then my advice would be DON'T. Also beware, scams are not unknown on Ebay.

Last edited:
It’s not worth anymore than £25k even in this crazy market.
If it were an Ocean, £33k tops

As stated already, wbac values it at about 18k and personally I think that’s just below fair market value. But given where we are at present, £25k would be where I was at. £35k is pure nonsense, but if someone wants it. Good luck to them.
I wouldn’t pay that sort of money for a used Beach with that mileage.
The market is due a major correction after Covid and I’m sure used values are set to tumble this year.

What’s this based on? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a genuine T6 beach list for £25K or less.
Like anything, in the end it comes down to what the buyer is prepared to pay.

Even with high mileage, someone might be tempted to pay a premium for something that checked out as having a full VWSH, was in mint condition and had all their preferred toys.

I see it ended at £31725.
Anyone know if that’s sold or did it have a reserve…?

You 5/6ers make me smile. For true starship mileage you’re gonna need a 4 :pinkbanana

I see it ended at £31725.
Anyone know if that’s sold or did it have a reserve…?
No listing ended, meaning it didn’t sell. So seller wanted more. In fact it implies he increased the price to £31,725 with 0 bids listed. I think it’s best left. They’ll come to their senses eventually.

There was one advertised in the classifieds here. 2019 van with 16500 miles.
Owner wanted £45k.
When you consider how much this van is, (I saw it advertised elsewhere at £35k) its way way overpriced…

No matter the service history it will still require money spending on it, the alloys need refurbing for a start. Stonechips, wear and tear etc. It might not be "cheap" in the end, I would rather put more money in to one with less miles and less bills.

No matter the service history it will still require money spending on it, the alloys need refurbing for a start. Stonechips, wear and tear etc. It might not be "cheap" in the end, I would rather put more money in to one with less miles and less bills.
Not much point in a refurb these days, when you can pick up decent delivery mile alloys & tyres for £500. Then sell just the old set for £200 approx.

Back