Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello - loaded T6 DSG beach and a slidepod or a T6 DSG Ocean ?

T

Tonker123

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hello, I have been lurking a while.....

As above, I am trying to work out whether I need/want a beach or ocean ?

Me - don't need it as main car, have other car and motorcycle. Ride bicycles on sportives and want to able to chuck decentish road bikes/MTBs into it (Security). It will be used mainly 2-3 up for weekends (two adults plus one 4 year old). BUT ideally I want to be able to take others with on breaks (brother/SIL/their 2 kids). Some European travel but mainly Lakes/Wales/Cornwall/Scotland.

Beach - my head has it as a 7 seater with parking heater, adaptive cruise, DSG, nav, LED lights (given dark driving on unlit small roads), removeable towbar (can get a lightweight motorbike mount and a lightweight 50cc moped AND stay under towbar nose weight limit (just) for when I want to nip into tourist towns and even a T6 is too big). And the expensive parking heater and three zone AC (south of France is too hot for just twin AC in July/August). BUT, even with discount that is nearly 50k. And still has a pop up roof. I won't really use the kitchen on short breaks and don't like the idea of cooking inside ... I really like the idea of a slidepod thoug, so for duo or solo trips then I have the cooking facilities for when I park up in the middle of nowhere and the pubs aren't open! I also like the idea of being able to strip it out and use it as a van once in a while.

Ocean - max 5 seats, so some of my wish list gone, but includes cooking and heating and electric roof. I would still have to pay for nav, parking sensors/camera/DSG/towbar/adaptive/LED lighting etc. price is probably ending up at about 52k after likely discount.

So, what would you do, accept fewer seats and get the ocean (better residuals as everyone will argue the beach is a good spec, but it's 'just a beach', despite being pretty high spec for one (I a, conditioned that options end up worthless after a period). Or sod it, pay nearly as much for the Beach ? Or strip out some of the full spec as it's just spending for fun?

Oh, and is DSG going to retain a premium at say 3-4 years old when I offload it?

Thanks for reading a long and probably confused post! All views welcome.

Hi and welcome , there is much to read on SE vs. Beach already on the forum.
It is your choise and your budget , the both are great verhicles.
This probally will end up in a long post making it even harder for you to dicide ;)

Its a tough one and I am not sure anyone can help, because only you can decide on which compromises make most sense. From the list of needs you have put forwards, it sounds like the Beach is the more natural choice and that you favour the Ocean more on 'value for money, prestige and residuals'. That said, if you spec a Beach and Ocean to near parity, I would be amazed if the difference is only 2K. I did this exercise and found that even when I added air parking heater and various other expansive options, it was still 5K cheaper. Are you adding in the slidepod into the cost?

Motorhome :D

Seriously from your requirements a beach for sure . :thumb

You say Beach with sidepod v Ocean - my thoughts against the Beach (and why we went for SE) was the cooker using the van on many a very wet day I would rather put the kettle on from inside the van than stand outside in the wet. Perhaps you need to think about usage a bit more around cooking) I have found memories of 2 nights on Skye with sideways heavy rain.

Try a hire van

When you boil it all down Its all about tea - if you like to pop the kettle on get an ocean - for everything else its got to be a beach.

A beach is a place where a man can feel hes the only soul in the world thats real - P Townshend

Friends are the most important thing in life.
If you need 7 seats, go beach
Even the fifth seat in the ocean is a bit clumberssome.
Here speaketh a devotee of the SE(ocean) but we are 3.

It is definitely about tea. I drink so much that its more practical to brew up a few litres and fill an uber flask, so the Beach works fine. Its just a matter of preparing in the morning for the rest of the day.

When you boil it all down Its all about tea - if you like to pop the kettle on get an ocean - for everything else its got to be a beach.

A beach is a place where a man can feel hes the only soul in the world thats real - P Townshend

They are two completely different vehicles and IMO cannot really be compared side by side. One is a full on campervan and the other a multi purpose people carrier with a bed in the roof!

This is the same question that many of us have wrestled with and obviously the decision comes down to how you wish to use your vehicle. If you purely want to go glamping and there is only ever going to be four/five of you then the SE/Ocean may be the best choice. However, as you have indicated that you are looking for a people carrier/campervan/load lugger then it has to be the Beach. Simples!

I have bikes too, ones that I won't keep outside, so I have ordered a Beach. Delivery expected in July!

I have bikes too, ones that I won't keep outside, so I have ordered a Beach. Delivery expected in July!
Same, got an electric AMT bike that cost as a used car :) Won't leave it outside. Beetch is our choice :D

Hiya! My wife and I have recently got our all singing,all dancing, 2014 SE, and we love it! As we are going to use it predominately as our everyday vehicle, we love being able to pull over anywhere for a cuppa and bite, without the usual search for the local greasy spoon.
Not sure however, about the bikes in the back....
Something akin to mending a motorbike in the kitchen, as far as the wife is concerned!
As for the relatives... Let them get their own camper!
Have fun!

I love my tea but in the end went for a beach as I have a really good Thermos flask.

Sounds like a good compromise and the right decision based on your needs...regardless what Cali, just have fun :bananadance

Back