Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

High top vs Pop Top?

I bought a T6 Cali about 2 years ago as I don't have time to arrange a conversion of a factory fitted high top LWB T6, but that's what I've always wanted to do. However, the faff of packing and unpacking beds everynight with 2 young kids means we haven't used it as much as we would have liked for camping overnight.

I find it odd you don't see many of high tops with a roof bed. I reckon you could put 2 permanent kids beds / sleeping dens up there which would be so much easier than dealing with the pop top going up and down (no moving bedding around every night and morning either). Also it seems storms are on the increase, and we mainly want to go to the coast. I did not enjoy having to put the roof down at 3am one stormy night in the middle of the summer holidays.

We simply can't do trips without the roofbox for extra kid's stuff storage. So we currently have the worst of both worlds - can't get into height restricted places and have to deal with the faff of the pop top.

Lastly, that extra 30-40cm from the LWB I reckon would mean putting a Porta Potti on the floor with the downstairs bed made up, a lot less of a squeeze compared to the Cali!
Yup, follow @The Blue Merle :thumb

In your position a VW Hightop is exactly what I would do :)