Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Highlands and Islands of Scotland - should we take the kayak?

Tigger

Tigger

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all,

We're headed to the Highlands and Islands of the west coast of Scotland shortly for 3 weeks. We are planning to visit hills and the coast, doing quite a bit of walking and some mountain biking (taking our bikes with us on an atera tow bar bike rack). Let's hope our 4 year old dog (vizsla) can keep up!

The more research I do, the more it seems like we should also be taking our double sit on top kayak.... We have the roof rack and the dog was happy in the previous kayak...with his lifejacket.

It's partly a question of faffage, partly a question of space but also would we regret not taking it. The kayak is 28kg, so the roof going up should be fine.

All thoughts really appreciated, we just can't make our minds up on this one. It will be our first trip away in the cali.

Thanks
Tigs

Thanks Californiaman. I have had an email exchange with Mike at Arisaig sea kayaks. Very helpful chap.

Any recommendations on favourite places to stay?

Back of Keppoch - just north of Arisaig. A few sites to choose from and like most of the west coast some magical countryside and beaches.

If you have 3 weeks I'd say you'll have enough time to justify taking the kayak too. I lost count of the number of people taking kayaks up to the west coast on my trip back from Fort William yesterday. This week is perfect weather for kayaking ... shame I have to work.

Here are some recommendations for places to camp on the beach and to kayak on inland and sheltered lochs. (I'm thinking of buying another (sea) kayak which is why I've been researching canoe/camping options recently).

Top 10 beach campsites
Wild camp spots on Scottish loch islands

Clachtoll, Achmelvich and Camusdarach would probably be my pick of the three best sites for beachside watersports. Further south you might want to try Port Ban (nr Tarbert) and Seaview Campsite (Tralee Bay). Both the last two have particularly good pubs/restaurants within walking distance - the Kilberry Inn and the Hawthorn Restaurant respectively.

Yes yes yes yes yes. If you don't take it you will find yourself staring at the water wishing you were on it.

I'm not sure how experienced you are. But be aware that the tidal currents can be extreme around the coast so (for the sake of the dog) seek local advice or stay on obviously sheltered waters.

Hoping to get to Mull later in the summer - will definitely have at least one kayak with us.

Yes yes yes yes yes. If you don't take it you will find yourself staring at the water wishing you were on it.

I'm not sure how experienced you are. But be aware that the tidal currents can be extreme around the coast so (for the sake of the dog) seek local advice or stay on obviously sheltered waters.

Hoping to get to Mull later in the summer - will definitely have at least one kayak with us.

Ha! I'm heading north to Bonnie Scotland myself shortly but in the meantime I've taken a
circuitous route to find someone in Loughborough, where I have just arrived briefly on a visit, and have found you via the User Map.
I am hoping one of the forum members would be willing to run through a few basic non-specific essentials of campervanning with me as I am a total novice to my very new to me (1992 T4) campervan not to mention driving an old slow diesel van to boot - having a spot of bother with that too. If you have the time and the inclination, I was hoping I might call by this eve (1 Jun) or tomorrow before I set off again to get a few tips. A long shot, I know, but I would so appreciate a bit of help - I don't feel at all confident about setting off at the moment. The Manual is all in German and I've not yet got a printed english one.

My email is avasbar[at]+++++[dot]com .
Heartfelt thanks
Laura

Our sons inlaws are into kayaking and had a fabulous time up there a couple of years ago. They have a converted T5 so I guess you wiould be OK with the Cali.

Our sons inlaws are into kayaking and had a fabulous time up there a couple of years ago. They have a converted T5 so I guess you wiould be OK with the Cali.
thanks for replying anyway.

Back