Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hill Descent Control in reverse?

Skewif

Skewif

It’s not what you have, it's where you wake up.
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Does anyone with HDC know if it works effectively when going backwards down a very steep loose surface slope?

Are poised in such a position right now?

Not now but recently went up a narrow twisting track that became so steep could not go up further as all 4 wheels spinning. When going backwards it all became rather white knuckle ride as any slight pressure on the brakes would lock up the front wheels with the rear brakes seeming to do very little. As track was on a camber this would drift front toward a very long drop down. Planning ahead for my next Cali I have never felt the need for HDC even when slipping and sliding down the maddest of slopes going forward. If it works well in reverse braking all wheels relative to traction then it’s a no brainier option to tick for the new one.

Not now but recently went up a narrow twisting track that became so steep could not go up further as all 4 wheels spinning. When going backwards it all became rather white knuckle ride as any slight pressure on the brakes would lock up the front wheels with the rear brakes seeming to do very little. As track was on a camber this would drift front toward a very long drop down. Planning ahead for my next Cali I have never felt the need for HDC even when slipping and sliding down the maddest of slopes going forward. If it works well in reverse braking all wheels relative to traction then it’s a no brainier option to tick for the new one.
I have the diff-lock and HDC on mine. I’ll see if I can do some tests at some point.

I have the diff-lock and HDC on mine. I’ll see if I can do some tests at some point.
Thank you. That will be most appreciated. Be interesting knowing the difference with it on and off when going backwards.

It works on my 2017 DSG. We have a steep farm track in the Pennines and use HDC regularly. The main issue is that when reversing its quite fast and you are tempted to touch the brakes, which can be disastrous

It works on my 2017 DSG. We have a steep farm track in the Pennines and use HDC regularly. The main issue is that when reversing its quite fast and you are tempted to touch the brakes, which can be disastrous
Thanks. May well be to do with reverse being a fair bit higher geared than first.

Back