Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hill hold assist - how does it work

F

Fourier

VIP Member
Hi,

So, just put my deposit down for our first California. Its a demo Cali 180 manual, and amongst other accessories has 'hill hold assist' - I don't know anything about this - it isn't an electronic handbrake, so how does it work? Does it have to be manually engaged?

Thanks for your help with one of many questions I expect!

Hi welcome. The hill hold assist works automatically by just holding the van on the brake
Not the handbrake. If you hold the van on a hill with the brake when you pull away you will have a couple of seconds when the van will hold still. I thought my brakes were sticking at first :thumb
Nice feature

As Calikev says, it holds the van steady for a couple of seconds if on a slope. The idea is to ensure the van doesn't roll backwards in the short time it takes you to take your foot off the brake and onto control the clutch. It's a heavy van so without it you'd find it hard to get that manoeuvre right without panic and slamming the gears/clutch. It's not perfect, as there are slopes that are too shallow for it to engage yet would be beneficial to assist on, but you get used to it, and its a very good thing.

Note that it doesn't work in reverse (or doesn't seem to for me) – easy to forget once you get used to it "just working"!

coordinated said:
Note that it doesn't work in reverse (or doesn't seem to for me) – easy to forget once you get used to it "just working"!

Weird, it does work in reverse for me :?

Do you mean when pointing downhill forwards (to stop you rolling forward) or when pointing uphill but putting gear in reverse?

MisterTea said:
Do you mean when pointing downhill forwards (to stop you rolling forward) or when pointing uphill but putting gear in reverse?

Pointing forward and going in reverse to park.
No point in using a lot of power to go in reverse if I'm pointing uphill.

Thanks all - looking forward to trying it out myself.

Fourier said:
Thanks all - looking forward to trying it out myself.
I've got it on my work transporter and find it a real pain when manoeuvring into a parking space on a slope as it keeps engaging when I don't want it to! Wish there was a way of turning it off.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Does this mean that hill starts are no longer part of the driving test? :lol:

frigorifix said:
coordinated said:

Weird, it does work in reverse for me :?

Thanks – good to know it's supposed to work!

Have definitely had a bit of roll-forward reversing uphill – will test it next time I get chance.

It's great when you want it ie pulling off uphill from lights/ junction etc. it is a pain when shunting back and forth to get in a parking space for example... Shame you can't turn it on/ off like the sensors.

don't think I have ever even noticed mine or if it works or not!
I still drive the old way using h/brake to hold and releasing slowly as clutch bites ...maybe I should try and update myself! so how / when does it engage?

Say you come to a stop facing up hill with your foot on the brake pedal.

If you take your foot of the brake pedal the van won't roll back immediately but will hold for a second or two - just enough time for you to get your foot onto the accelerator and pull away.

If you've got an automatic gearbox you might not notice as they tend to hold the car/van steady anyway - well they did the last time I had an automatic which was quite a few years ago.

I like it.

so its triggered from using the footbrake?
so for example if I come to halt at T junction with incline and hold on foot brake instead of pulling on h/brake, when I go to move off it holds for a second while move foot to hit the gas?
but I have not really noticed the need?
hmmmm...

David Eccles said:
so its triggered from using the footbrake?
so for example if I come to halt at T junction with incline and hold on foot brake instead of pulling on h/brake, when I go to move off it holds for a second while move foot to hit the gas?
but I have not really noticed the need?
hmmmm...

That just sum's it up nicely david :thumb

You won't notice it if you're holding the handbrake on until the clutch starts to bite.

Most people (I think) get lazy and just hold the car/van on the footbrake and then switch straight to the accelerator when they want to go. As you release the brake (but before you've got to the accelerator) the car/van will start to roll back. Hill hold stops that.

Am now wondering if this is reason I sometimes stall when about to pull off after releasing h/brake...any excuse for embarrassing driving welcomed!
drove one of those blue motion stop start jobs the other day, now that's something I don't think I'd ever get used to!

Pointing forward and going in reverse to park.
No point in using a lot of power to go in reverse if I'm pointing uphill.
Driving forward, i can pause my van on a hill without brake or hand brake
But my drive way is on a slope, I always reverse up to park, but if I ease my foot on the throttle the van comes to a stop and then starts to roll forward down the slope of the drive way. It doesn't pause.

Driving forward, i can pause my van on a hill without brake or hand brake
But my drive way is on a slope, I always reverse up to park, but if I ease my foot on the throttle the van comes to a stop and then starts to roll forward down the slope of the drive way. It doesn't pause.
I think that the hill hold assist only engages when you put your foot on the brake. When you release the brake, hill hold assist keeps the brakes on for a couple of seconds.

Stopping going up is probably just the DSG creeping forwards balancing with the tendency of the van to roll back downhill.

Back