Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hill hold std? - 2016 Manual T6 Beach

C

Chainline

VIP Member
Does anyone know how I can determine if the 2016 T6 manual Beach I have just bought (off a lovely chap off this forum)
has Hill Hold and/or ESP as std.
I find it amazing if not on such a vehicle. It is very well specced (reason for purchase) and what I have found online suggests at least hill hold is std, maybe ESP/other safety systems.
I can of course cope without it by going ‘old skool’ on hill starts but it seems a little archaic in this day and age and I have to change mindset for the car I’m in as my other 4 year old Mini has it as std!
I only query it as on moderate slopes (and I’m only 7 days in to ownership) in reverse it definitely ‘holds’ after taking foot off brake.
On more severe slopes (on my way home from work reference hill) in 1st gear it always rolls back when brake released to use throttle unless I deploy the traditional method of avoiding it using handbrake.
So I want to find out if I have a problem with the system and need to ask dealer to check it. Or if the (£58k VW configurator figure as of last of T6 equivalent spec) is devoid of what are std features on my mini. Entirely possible of course.

So not a complaint, I love the van, it’s close to exactly the spec what I wanted I’m just trying to find out if It is std and I have an issue with the system or if it’s not fitted and I will need to deploy counter measures to not roll back into people on hills!
Thanks for any advice.

If you pm me your chassis number I can print you out a list of everything your beach came with

ESP will be standard.
I guess hill hold (just the few seconds of holding the brakes before setting off on a hill) will be standard too, as mine has it (10 years old), and my dad's Multivan has it too (2017).

Does anyone know how I can determine if the 2016 T6 manual Beach I have just bought (off a lovely chap off this forum)
has Hill Hold and/or ESP as std.
I find it amazing if not on such a vehicle. It is very well specced (reason for purchase) and what I have found online suggests at least hill hold is std, maybe ESP/other safety systems.
I can of course cope without it by going ‘old skool’ on hill starts but it seems a little archaic in this day and age and I have to change mindset for the car I’m in as my other 4 year old Mini has it as std!
I only query it as on moderate slopes (and I’m only 7 days in to ownership) in reverse it definitely ‘holds’ after taking foot off brake.
On more severe slopes (on my way home from work reference hill) in 1st gear it always rolls back when brake released to use throttle unless I deploy the traditional method of avoiding it using handbrake.
So I want to find out if I have a problem with the system and need to ask dealer to check it. Or if the (£58k VW configurator figure as of last of T6 equivalent spec) is devoid of what are std features on my mini. Entirely possible of course.

So not a complaint, I love the van, it’s close to exactly the spec what I wanted I’m just trying to find out if It is std and I have an issue with the system or if it’s not fitted and I will need to deploy counter measures to not roll back into people on hills!
Thanks for any advice.
As has been said above it should be standard. What I do know is that the degree of Hill Hold Assist is dependant on how firmly the Footbrake is pressed prior to Start Off as the vehicle system holds this pressure momentarily before releasing it.

as @WelshGas says, it doesn't "hold" the brake, it is a slowed release of the pressure after you take your foot off.
Once you understand how it works you can then adapt your style to cope with it.

Thankyou for very helpful replies.

Calikev I’ll dig out the chassis number as I’d just like the reference. Thankyou.

Welshman, Loz, excellent. I am a very light braker, your description makes sense and I can adapt to that easily.
It’s a more binary system on my Mini which also required adaption.
I shall test it today and suspect based on this it’s fine.
So overall very happy, just need to see if I can live with the std lights at night or if I need to save some pennies for the ‘eye watering’ led retrofit!
I had two compromises to make on my ‘perfect’ spec when buying with this one, Manual (preferred was DSG) and Lights (preferred was led.)
All my other important boxes were ticked, parking heater, lights and vision, comfort light pack, heated seats, 3 seat bench, heated screen, 3 zone climate, with a bonus of it being in fantastic condition and kept by an enthusiastic owner.
After a year of looking and missing out on the only one I saw with everything on it, a choice had to be made!
I knew I could live with manual and retrofit leds if I really couldn’t live with the lights (suspect I can if I’m honest but we’ll see)

Anyway, thanks again.

My 2019 Manual has it , as said if you brake quite firmly as you stop on a steep hill it releases the pressure so that's probably what you are experiencing. Its std for manual vans.

Excellent I shall report back later today

All sorted now chaps. Fully functional and in order now I am not ignorant of how it operates compared to my mini. Many thanks for help.

All sorted now chaps. Fully functional and in order now I am not ignorant of how it operates compared to my mini. Many thanks for help.
Beware of LED Headlights that are ONLY LED DRL's with halogen headlights, LED ones must have Auto Levelling and if LED's fitted usually have a Supplier disclaimer in that 'They are only for off road use' with LED bulbs fitted.

Legal enforcement attention being focused (no pun) on this issue due to dazzling incidents.

Covered in Headlight threads.

Beware of LED Headlights that are ONLY LED DRL's with halogen headlights, LED ones must have Auto Levelling and if LED's fitted usually have a Supplier disclaimer in that 'They are only for off road use' with LED bulbs fitted.

Legal enforcement attention being focused (no pun) on this issue due to dazzling incidents.

Covered in Headlight threads.
Wrong topic ? This is about Hill hold?

are ok, understood. I should have been specific. I was only referring to the hazzy dayz retrofit of the OEM LEDs with self levelling not the DRL/H7 type. Hence the reference to eye watering cost too.

Apologies for misreading the info.

Last edited:
Back