Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hit from behind - advice please!

If it is 'just' a bumper replacement (and I would agree with the others, get an approved bodyshop to determine this) then the rear bumper for a T5 is circa £240.
http://www.banwy.co.uk/product/t5-p...med-ready-to-paint-transporter-caravelle-2012

This is a primed but unpainted part cost so the cost of painting would need to be added. Removing & refitting a rear bumper is a simple job so the repairer shouldn't charge to much, I did it when adding elec hookup. Parking sensors would also need to be removed & refitted of course.
Hope it all gets sorted out quickly

I would get it to a dealer ASAP and get the damage checked out properly. A colleague of my other half had a similar incident and just looking at it it appeared to be just the bumper that was damaged. When it was inspected it had caused more damage to the structure of the car. The way vehicles are designed nowadays is to crumple to absorb the energy of the impact. Not wishing to alarm you but get it checked.

Happened on an E-Class we used to own - no visible damage or injuries, but something behind the rear bumper had crumpled = c. £5K. Also a BMW that hit us, claiming his brakes failed.

Hope you get the matter resolved soon Maud. Not nice getting damage to your pride and joy.:kiss

Hi Maude, sorry about the accident. I can recommend the VW commercial approved body and paint shop at Chemsford Essex. They obviously know the Cali and will give you an official written estimate. Paul.

Sorry to hear your news Maude, as previous posts, a new VW painted plastic bumper is quick to replace and you will not be able to see any reminders of Ariadne's close call.

Good luck,

Rob H.

Thank you once again for all of your replies and advice - it is certainly helping me to get my head around this and to look at the situation with a sensible head, not an emotional one.

I contacted Bury VW and both John in sales and Gerald in the service department have recommended that I go to the VW approved workshop that they use, which is Rackhams in Ipswich. I have phoned Rackhams and they said that I can turn up in the morning and they will have an estimator there to look at her and give me a quote (they are appointments only on a Saturday, but said they would fit me in as long as I don't mind waiting until the estimator is available). I will then be able to phone the other driver with the quote and let the insurance know.

a new VW painted plastic bumper is quick to replace and you will not be able to see any reminders of Ariadne's close call.

I hope that this is all she needs and that the whole process will be quick - if they can order the bumper and get it painted then I hope I can just go in and leave her (or wait there with a book) for a few hours while they fit it. I don't like the idea of leaving her somewhere where I don't know who will be driving her or poking around inside - silly, I know! :oops:

I hope you feel a bit better today :rolleyes:

Ariadne will be repaired back to her youthful, glorious beauty. You will sort out the hassle with the insurance and getting it repaired. In front are years and years of joy and pleasure together.

Thanks, Jen; I know that this will all be a distant memory come the summer, I just need to keep breathing deeply in the meantime! Honestly though, I do feel a little better today, thank you :)

Maud

Hi Maude, sorry about the accident. I can recommend the VW commercial approved body and paint shop at Chemsford Essex. They obviously know the Cali and will give you an official written estimate. Paul.

Thanks, Paul; I will take her into Rackhams tomorrow but if I don't feel happy about them doing the work, I will get in touch with Chelmsford and take her there instead.

Maud

Good luck tomorrow Maud, hope Ariadne's ok and soon feeling better.

Human nature being what it is, I managed to stop rear bumper contacts Supermarket Car Parks and tailgaters, with the fitting of a Tow ball / Pin bracket, painted bright yellow on both my T4 and T5, This is the psychological equivalent of a sharp spike, and it's possible on the T5 to fit a standard tow bar assembly, rather than goose neck, for bolt on tow pin or tow ball, with some careful angle grinder cutting of the steel crash beam that hides and resides behind the plastic bumper, because, some tow bar fitting stations just remove and bin the crash beam, gasp, ...

You get the phone calls anyway. 2 this week about an accident 3 years ago.
Problem is we haven't been involved in any accidents for over 20 years.
I know this, the callers don't like it when you string them along and waste their time, but it can be fun.:bananadance:bananadance

Good evening Maud,

How are you and Ariadne now?

Are you getting some where with the repair?

Hi Maud

I truly share your pain!

Bluey got bruised last weekend when an on coming car's hub cap decided to leave it's owner at speed. I couldn't avoid the spinning disc and it took a chunk out of our bumper. :(

Two Bury campers both in the wars at 3 months old!

Let me know how Rackham's is, John also recommended us to use them.

Hugs

Jon

Bluey got bruised last weekend when an on coming car's hub cap decided to leave it's owner at speed. I couldn't avoid the spinning disc and it took a chunk out of our bumper. :(

Two Bury campers both in the wars at 3 months old!

Let me know how Rackham's is, John also recommended us to use them.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that, John and how horribly bizarre that we both have damaged bumpers at the same time! Did the other driver stop or did they not realise what had happened due to the speed of the incident? I really do feel for you; lots of empathy from my end too :( It is so frustrating and stressful; I am trying not to keep thinking "if only" but it's easier said than done!

Good evening Maud,

How are you and Ariadne now?

Are you getting some where with the repair?

Ariadne and I are feeling a little better this evening, thank you, Jen. I was in a bit of a flap this morning when I took her to the bodyshop (shame it wasn't for some really smelly soapy stuff!), but the staff at Rackham's seemed very professional and had all my details to hand on the desk, along with an email from Bury VW referring me to them, so initial impressions were reassuring.

Jon, it was a chap called David at Rackham's who came out to look at Ariadne with me and he was very pleasant and left me feeling more confident that she will be looked after in their care. I made the mistake of looking online for reviews etc. before going and there are some rather off-putting comments on Pistonheads that almost stopped me going at all, but VW use them so I decided that I had to at least trust them enough to inspect the damage. David's inspection didn't reveal any more structural damage to the underbody and the spare wheel is okay but the steel plate behind the plastic bumper cover has been impacted so he is arranging a quote for a complete new bumper, along with a new bumper protector from VW and new mudflaps. I did tell him that the mudflaps were factory fitted and I would really rather not have new aftermarket ones; he said he was hopeful they would be able to get them off and refit them to the new bumper but didn't seem certain about how (or if) this could be achieved. Overall, I was pleased with the professional and courteous approach and felt that David appreciated how precious Ariadne is to me. I was still very relieved to drive her away today though. He said the quote should come through on Monday so I just have to wait for that now, but I do feel reassured that the damage is nothing more severe at least and there is no hurry to have it done immediately.

I hope you are able to get Bluey's bumper sorted relatively easily, Jon. With a chunk missing, I guess he will need a complete new one too :sad

Give Bluey a hug from me!

Maud

Hi there
Sorry to hear about your mis fortune. Same happened to us a couple of weeks ago. A taxi went into the back of us when I stopped at the lights. The taxi company wanted to settle privately. I insisted on going to a VW approved repairer as I did not want any dispute about the paint warranty. Our van is just 4 years old so still has a couple of years paint warrenty remaining. We had to have a new cover and steel support - they renewed the parking sensors just in case there as a problem later. Didn't seem to be a problem with the factory fitted mud flaps. The total bill was just under £1000. The money was transferred to our account before the work was started - meaning if there was a problem getting settlement we could still go through insurance. The body shop did a great job but when I got home realised we (and they) had missed a couple of very small dents in the rear door. In the end we paid £50 for an amazing 'dent man' to knock out the dents - gaining access through the small rubber bung in the middle of the door. Decided it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to get the taxi company to pay more. They didn't want me to go to a vw approved bodyshop believing they were overcharging. I don't think there would have been much difference in the final bill wherever we had gone.
Do try and make sure everything is included in the estimate - things are designed to spring back so it often doesn't look like as much damage as it really is.
Hope the repair goes well - I am sure it will.
Adrian

On my way to work today, a BMW driver failed to brake soon enough whilst I was stationary in the road (small village street with parked cars along one side), waiting for a delivery truck to let me pass. The BMW hit Ariadne from behind and, upon closer inspection after work (after giving the bumper a clean) there is a long row of scratches, a small round dent (probably caused by the screw on her numberplate) and the centre of the bumper is slightly creased. It looks like the plastic bumper has been pushed up against the metal plate behind it. Although it is only cosmetic damage, she isn't three months old yet and it was so totally avoidable had the other driver been more observant and braked in time (I was stationary for at least five slow seconds before she hit Ariadne, so I cannot conceive that she had her eyes on the road ahead), so I am really rather upset about it :sad

My dad (better at these things than me) has had a look and thinks that it is likely to need replacing, so I would be grateful for any advice regarding bodyshops in the South Suffolk/North Essex area that anyone can either recommend or say 'stay clear of'.

Also, for anyone who has had a bumper replaced, what sort of cost am I likely to be looking at? The other driver has admitted full responsibility but says that she wants to pay for it privately rather than through the insurance (it's a company vehicle so I can only assume she doesn't want them to know about it). There was only a very small dent on her front bumper but I imagine it must be fairly scratched too, under the dust from the road.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Maud (and a bruised Ariadne)
Hi Maud,

Always always go thrugh your insurer. If the woman who ran into you doesn't want to go through hers then she should have looked where she was going! Don't feel bad about something that's not your fault, and don't get it done cheaply to make it easier on the person whose to blame.

Go through your insurance, if you don't you may be tripping yourself up. If (I'm hoping you don't) but have another accident when not going through your insurance the first time, and they clock you haven't, they may use this as an excuse not to pay out for accident number 2.

So quite simple, it's not your fault, you owe the bmw driver nothing, she should have looked where she was going, use the proper channels. That's what insurance is there for - to protect you.

Jamie

There a place near us repairs motorcycle fairings, which are made of similar material, and the costs are very reasonable. Might be worth a Google to see if there is anyone in your area.
Thanks for the idea but I managed to do a proper job on the bumper ripping off the clips folding thr bumper ànd ripping it, used the fairing welding people once when I dropped the bandit, found a second hand bumper for £90

Thanks for the idea but I managed to do a proper job on the bumper ripping off the clips folding thr bumper ànd ripping it

:sorry It seems there are a few of us in the same boat, one which none of us boarded intentionally, but hopefully we can get out soon and forget it ever happened!

Same happened to us a couple of weeks ago. A taxi went into the back of us when I stopped at the lights. The taxi company wanted to settle privately. I insisted on going to a VW approved repairer as I did not want any dispute about the paint warranty. Our van is just 4 years old so still has a couple of years paint warrenty remaining. We had to have a new cover and steel support - they renewed the parking sensors just in case there as a problem later. Didn't seem to be a problem with the factory fitted mud flaps. The total bill was just under £1000. The money was transferred to our account before the work was started - meaning if there was a problem getting settlement we could still go through insurance. The body shop did a great job but when I got home realised we (and they) had missed a couple of very small dents in the rear door. In the end we paid £50 for an amazing 'dent man' to knock out the dents - gaining access through the small rubber bung in the middle of the door. Decided it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to get the taxi company to pay more. They didn't want me to go to a vw approved bodyshop believing they were overcharging. I don't think there would have been much difference in the final bill wherever we had gone.

Hi ADevon, I'm sorry to hear that you have had a similar accident. Thank you very much for your post; it is good to hear that there wasn't a problem with the factory fitted mud flaps. I'm sorry you had a bit of an objectionable taxi company to deal with though - you obviously did the right thing sticking to your guns and going to a VW approved repairer but it must be horrible when the other party makes it awkward, especially when you were without fault and wouldn't be in that situation in the first place if their driver hadn't been negligent. I am pleased to hear that it is all over and done with now though, so you can get on with the important job of enjoying your Cali!

Thanks again,
Maud

Please tell us. how much total cost of replace rear bumper from vw?

I have now taken to leaving the detachable tow bar on the van all the time after someone did a hit and run on us in France this year.
Later coming out of the Moto GP race in Aragon a guy ran into the back of me in the walking pace queue. I got out ready to give him a b********g but ended up laughing as due to my rubbish Spanish and his equally rubbish English he ended up thanking me for pointing out that he had smashed his number plate on the tow bar. No damage to the Cali thanks to the bar. :)

Hi Maud,

Sorry to hear Ariadne has taken some 'battle damage', I had the front bumper assembly of 'Mighty', my T5 campervan replaced this spring, hit and run while parked up. After examination the VW Commercial approved repair shop in Manchester obtained and sprayed up a replacement genuine VW front panel, its big and its moderately complicated to fit, it took bout 2 hrs that's two free ? cups of coffee to replace when I took my van in at a later date for removal of the damaged panel and replacement with the new panel while I waited. Total cost was £700.00 The rear bumper one piece panel is smaller cheaper and once sprayed up much quicker to remove and refit I would estimate 1.5 hr would do it. So you should get away with slightly less than my bill. Incidentally though I have max NCB I paid cash without involving my insurance company, my experience is that at renewal your insurance company will significantly hike up your renewal premium citing any accidents, not fair, but motor insurance in my opinion needs a major shake up.

So shop around for a quality fix and Ariadne will be as good as new again, let us all know total cost once fixed.

Top tip, fit and hard wire in, a rear facing dash cam top of rear hatch window, stops tailgating and the recording pays for itself when 'negotiating' in incidents such as your recent bump.

Rgrds,

Rob H.

My bumper got damaged in a rear shunt last april. Local vw aproved body shop did repairs on 3rd party insurance. Cost of new bumper sprayed & fitted was £800.
I too now leave towbar on.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

So that your subframe / chassis takes the force of any impact?

I also leave my tow bar on now for added protection.

If the shunt was bad enough it would damage the chassis anyway whether the tow bar was on or not, any low speed shunt will save your bumper!

On my way to work today, a BMW driver failed to brake soon enough whilst I was stationary in the road (small village street with parked cars along one side), waiting for a delivery truck to let me pass. The BMW hit Ariadne from behind and, upon closer inspection after work (after giving the bumper a clean) there is a long row of scratches, a small round dent (probably caused by the screw on her numberplate) and the centre of the bumper is slightly creased. It looks like the plastic bumper has been pushed up against the metal plate behind it. Although it is only cosmetic damage, she isn't three months old yet and it was so totally avoidable had the other driver been more observant and braked in time (I was stationary for at least five slow seconds before she hit Ariadne, so I cannot conceive that she had her eyes on the road ahead), so I am really rather upset about it :sad

My dad (better at these things than me) has had a look and thinks that it is likely to need replacing, so I would be grateful for any advice regarding bodyshops in the South Suffolk/North Essex area that anyone can either recommend or say 'stay clear of'.

Also, for anyone who has had a bumper replaced, what sort of cost am I likely to be looking at? The other driver has admitted full responsibility but says that she wants to pay for it privately rather than through the insurance (it's a company vehicle so I can only assume she doesn't want them to know about it). There was only a very small dent on her front bumper but I imagine it must be fairly scratched too, under the dust from the road.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Maud (and a bruised Ariadne)
It's always risky dealing outside of the insurance company as the private owner may balk at the cost and fail to pay up, leaving you with the problem and short. It's her problem to sort - don't bend over backwards to make it yours.

Back