Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Home made fridge bottom trivet.

ChrisB

ChrisB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi all,

Being a tight fisted Yorkshireman, I didn't fancy paying 39 euros (24+15 p&p) for the fridge trivet from VW campershop.

So I scoured the local chinese market shops and found these draining trays (see images) which come complete with a trivet in the bottom.

I bought 4 trays (4 trivets) at 75 cents apiece, but couldn't find the exact size to fit the VW fridge so I had to make 2.

Each trivet has a number of small legs to raise it above the base of the supplied tray, but I was concerned that these could damage the base of the fridge as the weight of goods in the fridge could concentrate too much pressure on the legs and damage the fridge base.

Each of the trivet legs was like a moulded hollow tube so I simply used 2mm plastic tile spacers (cut to a single piece) to form dowels to connect the trivets (bottom legs to bottom legs). I glued the dowels with a hot glue gun and simply pressed the trivets together. The finished trivet then provided a nice raised surface area upon which the fridge contents can be placed.

To make the smaller trivet I just sliced up a larger one.

They are a nice easy fit and create a condensation gap of about 10mm which should be plenty to avoid soggy bottoms. You also have 4 trays to use for anything else.

Took about an hour to make at a total cost of about 4 euros. I can now put the 35 euros I saved towards an outrageously expensive 'pully out drawer thingy' for the rear cargo area.

ChrisB

DSC00581.JPG

DSC00582.JPG

DSC00584.JPG

Good you could find something that does thesame for less money , in the end it does not need to be original VW and Brandrup things .
On the other hand i payed 25€ for the bottom raster and very happy with it .
I wonder if one could make a copy version of this with a 3D printer ....
@Bigted ....Could you ?

We use a wine carrier , for six bottles, the ones like a bag .
We then just have to lift that out of the fridge instead of everything falling over itself when need to access the Tupperware box stored under the fridge basket. And it’s not all for wine ! Lurpack butter container and marmalade fits nicely in one section, pickle jars / olives/ sauces fit nicely too. Was a suggestion from another forum member , and after 3 years ownership trying all sorts of ideas , it’s the best method for us .
Lesley

Good you could find something that does thesame for less money , in the end it does not need to be original VW and Brandrup things .
On the other hand i payed 25€ for the bottom raster and very happy with it .
I wonder if one could make a copy version of this with a 3D printer ....
@Bigted ....Could you ?
Probably, but I don't know what the unit cost would be.

I cut the bottom out of a Tesco delivery crate. Ask the driver and he'll give you them for nothing.

Inspired by both being a tight fisted Yorkshire man and the comment about a food delivery crate I resurrect this thread to show you my efforts. Chopped out of a delivery crate

IMG_20200604_142558.jpg

Hi all,

Being a tight fisted Yorkshireman, I didn't fancy paying 39 euros (24+15 p&p) for the fridge trivet from VW campershop.

So I scoured the local chinese market shops and found these draining trays (see images) which come complete with a trivet in the bottom.

I bought 4 trays (4 trivets) at 75 cents apiece, but couldn't find the exact size to fit the VW fridge so I had to make 2.

Each trivet has a number of small legs to raise it above the base of the supplied tray, but I was concerned that these could damage the base of the fridge as the weight of goods in the fridge could concentrate too much pressure on the legs and damage the fridge base.

Each of the trivet legs was like a moulded hollow tube so I simply used 2mm plastic tile spacers (cut to a single piece) to form dowels to connect the trivets (bottom legs to bottom legs). I glued the dowels with a hot glue gun and simply pressed the trivets together. The finished trivet then provided a nice raised surface area upon which the fridge contents can be placed.

To make the smaller trivet I just sliced up a larger one.

They are a nice easy fit and create a condensation gap of about 10mm which should be plenty to avoid soggy bottoms. You also have 4 trays to use for anything else.

Took about an hour to make at a total cost of about 4 euros. I can now put the 35 euros I saved towards an outrageously expensive 'pully out drawer thingy' for the rear cargo area.

ChrisB

View attachment 26654

View attachment 26655

View attachment 26656
Hi I really like your green trivet for your fridge but I am struggling to get a lead as to where I can get one from. I have tried the color baby site but cannot find it. Do you have any clues how I can buy one since it looks perfect for my needs and I am not prepared to pay 50 Euros for one. Has anyone else found a light plastic type trivet for their fridge or similar that i can actually get? Thanks

Hi I really like your green trivet for your fridge but I am struggling to get a lead as to where I can get one from. I have tried the color baby site but cannot find it. Do you have any clues how I can buy one since it looks perfect for my needs and I am not prepared to pay 50 Euros for one. Has anyone else found a light plastic type trivet for their fridge or similar that i can actually get? Thanks
Schermafbeelding 2021-01-16 om 16.29.07.jpg
What you get with a paint roller. I just cut the handle off. Also for the back of the fridge

I used 2 of these, but found mine in a local Pound Shop.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=plasti...tic+drainer+,aps,171&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank

Showing my ignorance here, but what’s the purpose of the trivet?

i chopped it out of an old delivery crate

@GrumpyGranddad , you obvoius did not go camping in your new Cali and using the fridge for a few days.
All that stuff you bought before delivery and you not get something for the bottem of the fridge...?
condens , meltingwater , food getting wet , you will fond out ;)
:) I live and learn.
I have a few crates in my allotment sheds one of which will find a new home.

Might be worth looking at grit guards from the bottom of buckets if you can find one the same size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Showing my ignorance here, but what’s the purpose of the trivet?
water collects at the bottom so food etc gets soggy. drips all over too when you take your beers out. this stops that and makes it easier to clean out

View attachment 71998
What you get with a paint roller. I just cut the handle off. Also for the back of the fridge
As I said in the original post, the trivets came with some cheap plastic draining trays that I got from the local Chinese supermarket. Mine cost a mere 75 cents each, so I needed four to make the trivet for the bottom of my fridge. (See instructions in the original post)They are still in use today and do the job perfectly. Make sure you avoid anything with thin or sharp legs as these will damage the bottom of the fridge

I use a flannel that I put on the bottom of the fridge. It stops everything rattling around so much. When we get back from a trip I use it to dry the inside of the fridge and leave it to dry out. I then use it to stop the fridge closing fully when it's off so that it doesn't smell.