Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook-Up Questions

P

Pensford

VIP Member
Hi

I am new to California scene and busy gathering information. We come from a camping background, so the Hook-Up facility is a new world to us. Please could you help with a couple of questions:

- I imagine that the 240v hook-up supply will charge the leisure batteries. Does everything then continue to run at 12v from the batteries?

- Does the hook-up actually provide 240v and it's associated power to any socket in the California?

I am sure there will be more questions, but this is what's on my mind at the moment.

Appreciate any additional advice. :grin:

Thanks

Phil

Hi phil welcome along. I will try and answer your questions for you
The Cali has 2 leisure batteries in the living area they operate the 12v cigarette lighter sockets
The lights,the aux heater ,fridge and the 12v inverter.there is also 1 3pin 240v socket that
Will work of hook up. When on hook up everything will still be 12v except the 3 pin socket
The 12v inverter will work without the hook up this will convert 12v dc to 240v ac. But only up to
A max of 150 watts. So ok for charging laptops or using low powered things. Not boiling kettles.
When the van is on hook up it will also charge the leisure batteries
I hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Calikev, Sorry to gate crash your discussion but just wanted to ask on a point in your reply. I know a bit about hook ups but also am new to Cali's. The 12 volt inverter socket that you refer to... What sort of plug does it take as when I tried to plug a standard cigarette socket into it whilst we were away recently I found that the plug was to big to fit into the smaller socket? Also does reverse polarity apply to the Cali when abroad as I know from previously being the owner of a folding camper that there was a light on the electric panel warning you to switch round the polarity if you plugged in the wrong way round?

Hi andy I take it you have a pre facelift Cali I am not an expert on pre facelift Cali but I think you need this http://www.capitalstores.co.uk/hella-pl ... et-adaptor
The facelift Cali have a different type of inverter fitted behind the passenger seat
As for reversed polarity. Most owners will have a plug in polarity tester to tell if the neutral and live have been reversed if the have you just need to change the live and neutral in your adapter lead. Some people have two leads like this http://www.elecleisure.co.uk/index.php? ... duct_id=62. One with the wires changed so you are covered both ways
Maybe someone with a pre facelift Cali can help out more with the inverter side of things :thumb

I thought the invertor socket was the one on the b pillar by the passenger seat? This is similar to a 2 pin euro socket but slightly different! I did buy an adaptor for it a couple of years ago but have since lost it shows how often i used it (never)

The hella adaptor is needed for the socket next to the 240v socket on the end of the kitchen unit.
I thought it was standard 12v though? I use it to power my 12v tv though recently the adaptor keeps blowing its fuse when doing this not sure why.

Yes I think you are right the hella socket is only 12v :thumb

Calikev said:
Hi andy I take it you have a pre facelift Cali I am not an expert on pre facelift Cali but I think you need this http://www.capitalstores.co.uk/hella-pl ... et-adaptor
The facelift Cali have a different type of inverter fitted behind the passenger seat
As for reversed polarity. Most owners will have a plug in polarity tester to tell if the neutral and live have been reversed if the have you just need to change the live and neutral in your adapter lead. Some people have two leads like this http://www.elecleisure.co.uk/index.php? ... duct_id=62. One with the wires changed so you are covered both ways
Maybe someone with a pre facelift Cali can help out more with the inverter side of things :thumb

Do you only need to swap the terminals on the adaptor or for the hook up cable as well?
I only ask as i'm going abroad soon and still don't really understand the reverse polarity thing.
What happens if you just plug in without reversing the terminals? I spoke to my brother in law about it recently as they go to Europe quite often and they've never bothered with doing it and have never had any problems.

Yes sorry i think you are right you will need to do the hook cable up as well
But as you say not so much of an issue these days a lot of sites have updated I believe.

Both the sites in France we stayed at this year had reverse polarity mains...

In Europe they don't care so much about which of the terminals is 'Live' and which is 'Neutral'
Now Neutral is actually a functional earth so in the UK equipment (and sockets) is typically only switched on the live side.

A problem would only arise if there is a fault in a piece of equipment, it was connected reverse polarity, and what should have been a disconnected live (by the single pole switch) is now a disconnected earth - and the live (from neutral) is still connected and still live.

The RCD would still protect you however.

As Kev said, in the past all I've done is carry two euro hook up sockets and wired them different ways. That way if the system indicates reverse polarity with one then all I did was swap it with the other one.

shambly said:
Both the sites in France we stayed at this year had reverse polarity mains...

In Europe they don't care so much about which of the terminals is 'Live' and which is 'Neutral'
Now Neutral is actually a functional earth so in the UK equipment (and sockets) is typically only switched on the live side.

A problem would only arise if there is a fault in a piece of equipment, it was connected reverse polarity, and what should have been a disconnected live (by the single pole switch) is now a disconnected earth - and the live (from neutral) is still connected and still live.

The RCD would still protect you however.

Nope. You've really lost me now :laugh2

These were the blue standard connector, not the euro one!

as I have both 10m & 25m leads I made up a 6 inch male-to-female lead which is reversed to put inline where ever I find reverse polarity to be a problem. We sometimes use a 3 socket extension lead in the awning which we then use to feed the bus so having a short polarity swapping lead gives us the most flexibility.

Simon

Don't cross the beams!!

Hi

Thanks, Calikev for the first detailed reply, most helpful.

Also thanks to the others... I'm learning lots! :grin:

Phil