Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook up symbol goes out when 100%

Puggy

Puggy

VIP Member
Hi guys, :help

Some advice please for my best mate in the Alps, unfortunately he drove off whilst still plugged into the mains, and pulled out the cable, :crazy he has replaced his cable and all seems well, except when he is plugged in the hook up symbol shows for a while and then goes off (batteries show 100%), If he switches on the heater or lights the symbol comes back on again. He cant remember if this is correct. He has looked in the manual but its unclear if the symbol goes out once the batteries are fully charged.
When he switches on the ignition whilst the cable is connected an alarm sounds.

So in short does the 240v symbol go out once the batteries are fully charged?

Thanks guys, he just needs some reassurance that all is well.
Cheers Puggy

Does this mate happen to be called Puggy by any chance!! :D

LOL :lol: honest governor not me,

It is the sort of thing I would do though
:doh

Sorry couldn't help with technical answer. Sort of thing i'd do too. Drove through an entire town in France before my wife pointed out that I'd kept the car park with the tailgate fully open :oops:

Not quite sure how to advise your pal - but it sounds as though system is still working??

I would try hooking up, with batteries down a bit so that the 'plug' symbol lights up. Then switch off circuit breaker in the back cupboard. Plug should be replaced by battery symbol. Then switch back on again - if plug symbol returns, then things probably working OK. Not quite sure why the light goes out when fully charged, though, that doesn't happen on mine . . . . Mine is 2008 model, there may be some changes on newer ones.

Lewis

From memory the symbol only displays when charging, so if at 100% I think then it will extinguish.

cheers

Ok Thanks guys, I will pass on your comments.
I will let you know how he gets on

Thanks again
Puggy :thanks

Puggy said:
Ok Thanks guys, I will pass on your comments.
I will let you know how he gets on

Thanks again
Puggy :thanks

From memory i'm fairly certain that the hook up plug symbol on mine is showing all the time that its plugged in so there might be something not quite right there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Well I haven't looked lately but I'm sure mine plug symbol stays on until I unplug it from
The mains I am sleeping in it tonight so will check in morning :thumb

Calikev said:
Well I haven't looked lately but I'm sure mine plug symbol stays on until I unplug it from
The mains I am sleeping in it tonight so will check in morning :thumb
same here, it stays on until the power is switched off or plug is pulled out

Just for clarification, Puggy - you mean that *just* the plug symbol disappears and is not replaced with any other symbol and not that the whole panel simply switches off? The panel would normally go dark after a while anyway

Hi Chris and penny, I will contact him and get back to you,
Cheers Puggy

Hi again,
I have just spoken to my mate, and he said that when the hookup symbol goes off it is replaced by the battery symbol showing 100%. He has also tried running the batteries down a bit, then plugging in and switching the mains switch on/off via switch in the back cupboard as suggested, it all seems to be working correctly, so he's happy.
I will keep you informed, he is staying in his van over night for 3 days now, close to La Clusaz (French Alps) so this should be a good test.

Thank you so much for your help we really appreciate your support

Puggy and his mate :thumb

We had a similar thing camping last year. It wasn't until we came to move that we realised the mains was off and the batteries were low as we couldn't lower the roof. Disconnecting and reconnecting the mains seemed to sort it. After this I kept checking and after some time the mains would go off again. I thought this was due to the heat, high 30s, and the charger cutting out. After we moved further north and cooler everything worked OK and has been since. Alex at SMG suggested it could be a voltage problem on the campsite causing it to cutout. Guess heat should not be a problem in the Alps now but it could be the lead is damaged and dropping the voltage.

Les said:
We had a similar thing camping last year. It wasn't until we came to move that we realised the mains was off and the batteries were low as we couldn't lower the roof. Disconnecting and reconnecting the mains seemed to sort it. After this I kept checking and after some time the mains would go off again. I thought this was due to the heat, high 30s, and the charger cutting out. After we moved further north and cooler everything worked OK and has been since. Alex at SMG suggested it could be a voltage problem on the campsite causing it to cutout. Guess heat should not be a problem in the Alps now but it could be the lead is damaged and dropping the voltage.

We had a similar thing when we stayed at a site in tavistock, the hook up would disconnect after a while. Plugging in to a different power point solved the problem.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2