Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hopefull picking up in the morning - urgent help!

J

James Lewis

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,

Apologies for posting so early but been lying awake thinking about a conversation with VW heritage Bristol yesterday concerning picking up our new beach in the morning.

So we ordered a new beach in August 2018 to pick up 1st March on the new plate and in time to go skiing in April. The order has been delayed after VW ordered the wrong interior colour and only told me about a new build week of 4 weeks ago to resolve the issue, when I enquired about going to see our van in Feb half term. During that half term meeting (to see our van with the wrong interior colour) I asked about VW honouring the £2k deposit contribution and about any early repayment penalties on the the finance agreement as we plan to refinance with a loan after purchase. We were also told by VW back in August that we could pay the van however we wanted too at pick up.

So all was well until yesterday when I asked about Px on my current car, after which VW asked what my plan was. It transpired that they wanted to know our finance arrangement. I said we wanted to pay deposit by credit card and along with our 1k down payment and 2k VW contribution that would be a 12k deposit. I was then told however that because I'd said I didnt want finance during a previous conversarion??? the previous finance agreement has been stopped and a new one would have to be resubmitted and would only include the new 1k VW contribution. I said I'd never had a conversation about not wanting finance and that on the contrary, the last conversation I'd had was about early repayment penalties associated with it and the 2k VW contribution still being valid after they had the rebuild because the incorrect interior colour.

This is a massive purchase for us that weve had to give considerable thought to, as is probably the case for everyone, and the customer service has been shocking. The 1k drop in VW contribution has been justified as it comes with a cheaper finance interest rate. So £34 a month cheaper on the finance equates to approx £1500 cheaper than a comparable 1k vw deposit contribution increase. I was a bit cross on the phone last night however so I forgot to ask what price plan this was compared to as it would need to be compared to the previous finance offer with the same total deposit but different rate.

So rather than being excited I'm starting to wonder whether were being made to pay in an attempt to claw back some of the money that will be lost by VW Bristol as a result of them placing 6!! new orders with the wrong interior colours!

Obviously really want to be picking up in the morning but anger has replaced the excitement I should be feeling. Weve also made some ski booking as based on driving the van to france, but would be happy to walk away on principal and fight for vw to repay my 1k initial deposit.

Would be keen to know if anyone has any thougts on this and apologies for the time and length of message!

James

As irritating as it is being mucked about by VW who can sometimes appear as if they dont care when you are making such a big decision on buying a vehicle which is probably more expensive than you would consider normally paying for a vehicle. It was for us. Your purchase is probably justified by what it gives you and what it will enable you to do, which aren’t usual reasons for a vehicle purchase.

If the figures still stack up and you would make the same decision if you were ordering it today, go ahead.

If you honestly look at the figures and they don’t work for you, either don’t fit with your other priorities or if the deal has deteriorated so much to leave a bad taste in your mouth, it may be time to reconsider.

It’s probably likely that you have some thoughts of buyers remorse because it is now so real. Don’t let the dealer incompetency cloud your judgement. Take a step back and imagine what you were thinking when you first ordered. If the new facts mean you still would have ordered, go ahead without regret and enjoy it. Forget about the dealer because they will surely forget it no matter whether you proceed or not and move on to the next customer because that’s their job.

I hope that helps, apologies if not! Good luck.

Phil.

As irritating as it is being mucked about by VW who can sometimes appear as if they dont care when you are making such a big decision on buying a vehicle which is probably more expensive than you would consider normally paying for a vehicle. It was for us. Your purchase is probably justified by what it gives you and what it will enable you to do, which aren’t usual reasons for a vehicle purchase.

If the figures still stack up and you would make the same decision if you were ordering it today, go ahead.

If you honestly look at the figures and they don’t work for you, either don’t fit with your other priorities or if the deal has deteriorated so much to leave a bad taste in your mouth, it may be time to reconsider.

It’s probably likely that you have some thoughts of buyers remorse because it is now so real. Don’t let the dealer incompetency cloud your judgement. Take a step back and imagine what you were thinking when you first ordered. If the new facts mean you still would have ordered, go ahead without regret and enjoy it. Forget about the dealer because they will surely forget it no matter whether you proceed or not and move on to the next customer because that’s their job.

I hope that helps, apologies if not! Good luck.

Phil.
Thanks Phil,
Yes were still keen to buy it and I don't think the figures will differ too much, but it's more the laissez fair attitude of the dealership when incorrectly ordering and then changing the deal at the last minute with justification. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth but still keen to go ahead having checked out the numbers later this morning.

Bit of a sanity check more than anything.

See what they say this morning. Remind them that they broke the original contract for delivery of the right spec vehicle and you should not be placed on a position where you are worse off than had the first delivery gone to plan.
A little brinkmanship may be required on your part.
Remember the VW finance is not with the dealer, but they get a wedge of commission and have to play by FCA rules on selling the finance so if they misled you on the contribution which influenced your buying decision...
If they gave you less than 8% discount on the Cali, they still have headroom to come to a negotiated solution.

See what they say this morning. Remind them that they broke the original contract for delivery of the right spec vehicle and you should not be placed on a position where you are worse off than had the first delivery gone to plan.
Remember the VW finance is not with the dealer, but they get a wedge of commission and have to play by FCA rules on selling the finance so if they misled you on the contribution which influenced your buying decision...
If they gave you less than 8% discount on the Cali, they still have headroom to come to a negotiated solution.

Hope it all works out OP.

Stoneybroke, does the aim to secure a minimum 8% discount apply to HP and PCP deals? I read elsewhere that 10% is possible - is that considered the maximum realistic discount against a new van?

Thank you, reassuring to hear. We actually got a 4% discount but one of the stipulations they made yesterday is that numbers had to organised prior to us picking up at 10 this morning. That also differs from previous conversations with them when they stated pay for it how you like ay pickup. Were in negotiating mood! Thanks for responding.

8% discount on the Cali was considered good and some dealers offer it very early, so the probably have more headroom.
Often they have more to play with if selling finance because they get some income from VW Finance.

Thank you, reassuring to hear. We actually got a 4% discount but one of the stipulations they made yesterday is that numbers had to organised prior to us picking up at 10 this morning. That also differs from previous conversations with them when they stated pay for it how you like ay pickup. Were in negotiating mood! Thanks for responding.
See how far they let you get when you go to walk out without signing anything...

8% discount on the Cali was considered good and some dealers offer it very early, so the probably have more headroom.
Often they have more to play with if selling finance because they get some income from VW Finance.

Thanks for that.

If you feel your be driving away angry. Dont buy it. If you feel you can quickly get over the £1k error, and maybe haggle some free services etc, buy it and enjoy your adventures.

a piece of paper with numbers always helps shift the goal-posts...if you havn't already left, go on autoebid and replicate your spec, see what the price comes down to there, (autoebid builds the discount in from the start) and if it's less than what you're about to sign for, take it with you. show the dealer you've done your homework and are prepared to walk away and order via autoebid. might change their tune...

If you feel your be driving away angry. Dont buy it. If you feel you can quickly get over the £1k error, and maybe haggle some free services etc, buy it and enjoy your adventures.
Thanks, that's our plan of attack. Attack's probably the wrong word, maybe a moral stance!

a piece of paper with numbers always helps shift the goal-posts...if you havn't already left, go on autoebid and replicate your spec, see what the price comes down to there, (autoebid builds the discount in from the start) and if it's less than what you're about to sign for, take it with you. show the dealer you've done your homework and are prepared to walk away and order via autoebid. might change their tune...
Thanks, pick up has been delayed by an hour so will do that cheers. I owe you all a pint!

Thanks, that's our plan of attack. Attack's probably the wrong word, maybe a moral stance!
Good attitude. Enjoy today, an amazing exciting day for you. Post some pictures now :thumb:welcome

How do it go today @James Lewis :thumb
Really good thanks. We laboured a couple of issues that are hopefully going to be resolved on Monday when the dealership manager gets involved, but I think it's fair to say our hearts ruled our head. Didnt increase the discount but now the proud owners of Wallace..... not the best picture attached but been messing around with it too much . Thanks again for all your friendly support today, certainly helped. Were off to the Alps in it in a couple of weeks so going to be busy preparing for that. Have a good weekend

20190323_171629.jpg

Congratulations James, a beauty. Have a great hol and ask away if you have any other queries!