Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

how do I open sliding door from inside?

Neilsimpleflying

Neilsimpleflying

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
We have had our 2021 reg Beach for a couple of months and have recently had a problem with opening the sliding door from the inside. When we arrive at our destination and I switch the ignition off, I can open the drivers door ok but a passenger in the rear cannot open the sliding door from inside? it will open ok from the outside so it appears to be unlocked ok. I think that this has only just started to happen, although I cannot be sure because we have only recently been travelling with a third person on board. I feel pretty sure that when we first got the vehicle and whilst I was in the rear investigating various bed configurations etc that I had no difficulties exiting from inside.

I have searched other threads but they seem to be mostly about locking and unlocking the vehicle. This is occurring when the vehicle is locked?

The manual refers to child locks but I struggled to locate these?

Any ideas?

sorry, that last but one para should have read "this is occurring when the vehicle is unlocked"

isn't there a child lock button on the drivers door for the back slider ?

Do your doors auto lock ?
If so you will have to pull the internal door handle twice to unlock the door from the inside.

or as FB says child lock button is set to restrict internal opening

if neither of the above prove to be the issue, clean the copper / brass contacts in the door and rear of B pillar (lump of black plastic with metal bits)

Do your doors auto lock ?
If so you will have to pull the internal door handle twice to unlock the door from the inside.

or as FB says child lock button is set to restrict internal opening

if neither of the above prove to be the issue, clean the copper / brass contacts in the door and rear of B pillar (lump of black plastic with metal bits)
thanks, I will check both when the wife gets back! (can't get my hands on it now she has decided she likes it!)

thanks, I will check both when the wife gets back! (can't get my hands on it now she has decided she likes it!)
While your waiting for the better half to get back, try a forum search “child lock” it will this up various threads that may be of use (search function top right of the header)

We had the same problem for over a year. It was not the child lock I had made sure that was not on. It was intermittent. However one time when it went in for a service the mechanic greased all the doors and we have had no problem since. Do not know what he greased or where only I spotted the grease on the drives door and as the side door has worked since I assumed it had been greased too. My assumption is based on the fact that it was always worse in hot weather so maybe it had dried out. Not sure if that helps.

thanks for the suggestions - the most obvious being the one that works! I must have inadvertently touched the child lock control without realizing. all good now. found the search button also.

Back