Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding Door Sensor

D

Derrick

Hi, I have been having problems with the alarm going off recently despite the 2 sensors (internal & tow away) being turned off.....not making myself popular with neighbours!!! Then last week I was on a short journey and the open door symbol on the dash kept coming on together with a message saying rear door open. On further investigation the van (06 Cali) thinks the sliding door is open. I have tried cleaning and oiling the contacts but not made any difference. I did read on another forum that the door open sensor is on the top rail but I can't spot anything. Does anyone have any experience of this or know where the door sensor is?
Thanks
Derrick

May be the door control unit at fault causing the warning light to stay on and the van to think the door is open.

The sensor at the top is if it has an electric sliding door.

cheers

Hi Alex, thanks for your reply - where is the door control unit and is there anything I can do to fix it or is it a new unit?

It is behind the door panel, no repair kit available for them so would be replace only. Needs to be plugged in to confirm it, but would say more than likely that at fault.

cheers

Hi Alex, thanks for your last post - I took the van to my local garage (nearest VW dealer 1 hour away!) and they plugged it in to VAG Com software which showed no fault. They suggested that if it is a faulty door open sensor the van might not record it as a fault as it just thinks the door is open. They suggest the way forward is to replace the whole sliding door latch (at the rear of the door) and hope for the best!
I have also read some threads suggesting it might be due to corroded connections under the drivers seat/foot mat.
What would you advise?
Thanks Derrick

It would bring up a fault. If the van thinks that the door is open then they should have tested the switches to see if it was registering it as open or closed.

cheers

Hi Alex,
Sorry to quiz you again on this but the garage is still struggling to locate the fault. They have tried replacing the sliding door latch but with no joy - I have now asked them to check the door control unit as you suggested. They think that the Door Control Unit is located under the driver's seat, can I just confirm is it behind the sliding door panel (or another door?) and if so where exactly is it positioned?
Thanks
Derrick

There is a cotrol unit for the central locking in the sliding door, and the soft close control unit which can affect this and we have replaced a few of is behind the offside rear quarter panel trim

cheers

Dear Derrick. Has your problem with the sliding door sensor been fixed? It so, what caused the problem? When travelling on badly corrugated roads, the image on my Cali's dashboard will intermittently show that the sliding door is open. I have repeatedly cleaned the six contact points on the door frame and door and the alignment is as good as it can be. Mine is a manually operated sliding door.

Dear Derrick. Has your problem with the sliding door sensor been fixed? It so, what caused the problem? When travelling on badly corrugated roads, the image on my Cali's dashboard will intermittently show that the sliding door is open. I have repeatedly cleaned the six contact points on the door frame and door and the alignment is as good as it can be. Mine is a manually operated sliding door.
@Derrick last posted on this Thread in 2013, but he is still around and might get a notification . You need to quote ( at sign ) Derrick rather than just the name to activate a Notification.

I'm interested as to whether anyone else has has an issue with their sliding door sensor. Whilst driving on the motorway yesterday the display suddenly indicated that the sliding door (manual) was open! It seemed to self correct when I stopped and opened / closed the door. However I fear that it will inevitably happen again.

Is there a way of cancelling this alert temporarily? It is extremely frustrating as it over-rides any other information on the dashboard display.

Am I just unlucky or is the maximum factory warranty 5 years for a reason? My warranty expired in mid March and I have now had three things go wrong after not making any claims in years 4 or 5. :(

Back