Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do i reset the auxiliary heater?

Dodge1311

Dodge1311

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
hi, I stayed on a site last night for the first time, the weather was pretty grotty and it was mighty cold.

I had the heater on for a short time then it failed. I was using the key fob to start it and now rather than a signle flash of the green light when i try to start it it flashes multiple times. If i try to start from the control panel i get " Error Auxiliary message" any ideas how i can bring it back to life. I have lots of diesel and am on EHU so should be no issues on that side..

if i could fix it i will stay another night but if not i am off home as it is another miserable day today.

hi, I stayed on a site last night for the first time, the weather was pretty grotty and it was mighty cold.

I had the heater on for a short time then it failed. I was using the key fob to start it and now rather than a signle flash of the green light when i try to start it it flashes multiple times. If i try to start from the control panel i get " Error Auxiliary message" any ideas how i can bring it back to life. I have lots of diesel and am on EHU so should be no issues on that side..

if i could fix it i will stay another night but if not i am off home as it is another miserable day today.
You have to go for a short drive, so others have said.
When camping you should use the Control Panel for Heat Continuous.
Heat Immediate via the Remote is timed upto 120 mins. Then it is disabled until you drive.
Don't ask why, only VW can answer that.

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
Cancelled input

Use Continuous setting on Control Panel not Immediate setting

Helpful video

• Agree
The Aux heater control unit is Fuse 11 if you want to try a reset?
1620467740219.png
And SH4 under the passenger seat;
1620468285227.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
What works for me now is just to use the heat immediately for defrosting when on the drive on a cold morning before setting off; running the heater for an hour once a month; using the remote fob from a distance when returning from a run/cycle. Everything else is heat continuously and i've had no problems.

Thanks everyone all sorted now. At least I got to practice decoupling the drive away in the rain to go for the required short drive. I am now warm and wet . Appreciate the help.
You’ll soon be warm and dry now you have the continuous heat function working. Glad you are sorted.

You have to go for a short drive, so others have said.
When camping you should use the Control Panel for Heat Continuous.
Heat Immediate via the Remote is timed upto 120 mins. Then it is disabled until you drive.
Don't ask why, only VW can answer that.
Does running the engine for ~10 minutes work? We’re plugged in with Cali topper on in the pouring rain

Does running the engine for ~10 minutes work? We’re plugged in with Cali topper on in the pouring rain
Others say that isn't the fix, I am afraid. I guess you could try pulling the fuses, but I would be worried about introducing more issues, than it resolves.

Last edited:
You have to drive it not just turn the engine on. It’s a safety feature to make sure you are still alive.

Back