Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do you remove the Sparesafe spare wheel lock

another vw design fault.

It is amazing how many modern vehicles have unsecured spares on the outside.

My Dad had a full alloy stolen from his Mitsubishi L200 even though he had paid extra for the security option. It wouldn't be hard for VW to incorporate something like the sparesafe into the design but for some reason they don't. They would rather sell you a new spare I guess.

Thank you for all of the posts on here about fitting and removing the SpareSafe - just had a thorough read and taken some screenshots and photos to set me up for doing it tomorrow (maybe during my lunch break!)

Sorry for the stupid question but do you use the box spanner in the toolkit to loosen the bolts on the spare wheel assembly and to retighten the security bolt after fitting?

Thank you for all of the posts on here about fitting and removing the SpareSafe - just had a thorough read and taken some screenshots and photos to set me up for doing it tomorrow (maybe during my lunch break!)

Sorry for the stupid question but do you use the box spanner in the toolkit to loosen the bolts on the spare wheel assembly and to retighten the security bolt after fitting?
Yes.

There should be a black metal cover over the head of the bolt to remove it you use the black plastic cap and pin.

View attachment 16198
Old thread I know….. yesterday I went to remove my spare…..spent 20 mins trying to ’pick out’ the metal cover.……… after cursing the maker eventually eased it out with 2 screwdrivers……. I had looked at the black plastic thing in the piccies above and thought “hmm, wonder what that’s for?” ….. DOH! :eek: :D :D Note to self ….’RTFM!’ Haha

My wife has just reminded me it was HER idea to google how to do it AND that there ’must be a removal tool’. ………. So next time…LTMW! (Listen to my wife!) she is ALWAYS right (much to my shame). Oh and it was my wife who used the 2 screwdriver trick…..

Back