Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sparesafe wheel lock, how can I buy one ?

the security bolt on its own can be turned with mole grips, hence the reason for the spare safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is only 1 size Sparesafe so it should fit. We sell about 20 of these a week without problem. All the vip codes are in the VIPs lounge it's just a matter of putting in the code for the shop at checkout to get your discount.
You are right if you had the device without a security bolt you could undo it with a socket set
With a security bolt it would be much more difficult. As for sawing it off I'm not sure anybody would go to them lengths. As far as I'm aware no one with a sparesafe fitted has had a spare stolen.
Calikev, if you look at the two photos on Tactical's post on sparesafe on 19th November 2015 you can see where the shrouds are welded in different positions, one higher and the other lower. One just says Sparesafe the other adds UK All Tyres Ltd and a phone number.

I believe the picture of the one with al tyres on it is fitted to a kombi. The other is a picture of one fitted to a cali. I can assure you the actual sparesafe is the same.

I bought one with locking nut and spanner cost £54.99 did not get any VIP discount on 8/1/2016. ( Martin what do you mean by my code for VIP discount?)
Today I attempted to fit fit it with not much success.
Looking at the photos on the Cali Accessory Shop website there appears to be two different types and different dimensions. The one with just the word 'sparesafe' sticker is the I was supplied with and it does not seem to fit around my spare wheel carrier bracket.
Again looking at the photos what's to stop someone sawing through the exposed bolt and bolt sleeve?
And without the security bolt it seems the £50 device would not stop the existing bolt being loosened with a standard socket set.
If I'm right about all the above how do I go about getting a full refund?

You might find these photos I took make the Sparesafe easier to fit.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/sparesafe.12518/#post-124901

Good luck Simon

I believe the picture of the one with al tyres on it is fitted to a kombi. The other is a picture of one fitted to a cali. I can assure you the actual sparesafe is the same.
I beg to differ Kevin but those two spare safes in the photos are not the same.
There's differences in at least three places.The one I have is the same as the one with just the Sparesafe sticker. that one the channel bracket has been heat bended top and bottom and it has been welded to the circular shroud approx
8mm - 9mm up from the bottom of the shroud. The other one with AL or A1 Tyres on it has a sharp angle iron piece welded to another piece of flat iron at the bottom making a channel iron which has then been welded to the circular shroud at approx 22mm - 23mm up from the shroud base and with less of the shroud inside the channel it enables the channel iron part to protect the whole of the bolt and the bolt sleeve making it a much better product and proposition in my opinion. They are definitely not the same product.

We will have to beg to differ then but the sparesafe you ordered fits the california
As we sell in excess of 10 a week without
Issue and we have not made any alterations to the design

I have a sparesafe on my Cali and on my T5 work van both fit fine but it does look slightly different when seated on the panel van as the spare is just 16". There was actually an article about this in our local rag a few weeks back, it seems to happen mainly at places where they know people are gone for a while like theatres, cinemas, attractions etc..

Hi everyone. Just bought a sparesafe and failed to fit it. It seemed a very simple job! The bolts fitted fine with the bracket not fitted but when installed it seems the bolt alignment is not quite right causing a potential cross thread issue. It seems the spare safe bracket is in contact with the spare wheel support mounting and not allowing enough free movement to get bolt alignment. Anyone had same issue?? Is it a sparesafe bracket fault or is it me!!

Excuse if this seems a silly response but I was going for a belt and braces approach in trying to fit 2 sparesafes.
It only fits on the right bolt as viewed from the rear, you can't get the bolt aligned to screw in as the side bracket isn't designed for the left position. The left bolt isn't supposed to come out as it has a retaining clip at the top.

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. Yes I was only trying to fit it on the right bolt. I think what it might be is that the spare wheel support brace may not have been installed squarely in the factory. The Cali is only 2 weeks old so I hope this is it. I may have to drop the spare off and just start again installing the spare safe first. However all feedback welcome.

I have a T6 and fitted it to the right hand bolt with no problems so I suspect you may need to adjust how your carrier was fitted as it should work just fine.

Hope that reassures you its a good bit of kit. :)

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. Yes I was only trying to fit it on the right bolt. I think what it might be is that the spare wheel support brace may not have been installed squarely in the factory. The Cali is only 2 weeks old so I hope this is it. I may have to drop the spare off and just start again installing the spare safe first. However all feedback welcome.
Take the R bolt out and slacken Off the L bolt slightly. There is then some movement L/R and F/Backwards of the carrier. Get the R bolt in then tighten both.

Back