Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How i installed my solar panels

D

dleet

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hey all.

Recently got a Cali roof put on my van and I thought I might share how I installed my solar panels. Might come in useful to some of you out there.

I decided on CGIS panels from Bimble solar. They work better in low light and if partially shaded. And look a lot better than normal flexi panels I think. The stick on backing should come off easier than CT1 if I ever need to remove them.

So stuck them on the wired them in parallel in a junction box. 1mm2 2core coiled cable out to allow for the roof going up. The cable then runs down around the tailgate and through the light fixture and gland inside the van.

No holes drilled anywhere.

Should give 180W Max. Although I only have a 10A MPPT charger. Certainly enough power so far though!

20190617_182854.jpg

Looks neat.
What is the power of these large flaps?
Where do you run the cable to the inside?

Any issues with turbulence and that cable slapping on the roof while driving?

Looks very nice. Lots of power and invisible unless you climb up to look. Impressive!

A couple of questions:

1. Seems like you get a bit of circulation underneath, is it sufficient do you think? Panels loose efficiency when they get too warm.
2. Is 1mm2 wiring really enough? From my experience (on boats), fat wires make a big difference to keep up the voltage when wires are several meters long and lots of amps.

Thanks for the post!

John

Back