Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How is your GC?

westcoastboomer

westcoastboomer

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi just returning to this fantastic forum, I had a California 180SE for 4 years from new, which was brilliant…then went to the dark side and have an Adria Twin, now thinking of a Grand California which I’m thinking is much better quality than my Adria….
How is the van off grid with battery performance etc where are the leisure batteries.. also anyone mounted a tv anywhere?
any pointers much appreciated…
Thanks

Shame about the Adria. What issues did you have…?

Hi just returning to this fantastic forum, I had a California 180SE for 4 years from new, which was brilliant…then went to the dark side and have an Adria Twin, now thinking of a Grand California which I’m thinking is much better quality than my Adria….
How is the van off grid with battery performance etc where are the leisure batteries.. also anyone mounted a tv anywhere?
any pointers much appreciated…
Thank

Leisure battery is in the engine compartment ( … and starter is under the passenger seat). Off grid capability without solar is 36hrs at a push, with factory solar in the summer it’s easily a long weekend or endless if very sunny. Lots of different approaches to improving the off grid capability, from additional batteries to the lithium generator products from the likes of EcoFlow, scan this forum and join the Grand California UK facebook group which is another great resource. Similarly lots of TV mounting options you should find on this and the GC UK FB group. Alot of people mount it on the side of the wetroom wall, some with swivel brackets to allow it to swing to be viewed from the bed. I’ve made a bracket that mounts the TV onto the rear bench seat headrest holes when the headrests are removed.

Hello, we took the decision to buy a Grand California over the Adria Twin too, the main reason is the base vehicle, I’ve had Fiat base vehicles on all our motorhomes / campers right from 2005, let me tell you something which no-one can argue .. the VW is head and shoulders better to drive than the Fiat, I’m not knocking the Fiat, it’s a really good base vehicle, I’ve had Fiat van conversions, chassis cabs with motorhome, heavy chassis, big engines, auto …. The lot and the VW is soooooo much better to drive. Our GC is the 680 with some extras, not many but enough, we LOVE it compared to our last few vans, I’ve read loads of ‘gunk’ about how the GC has this and that issue, guess what, they ALL have issues, they’re a van with a house in it! It moves around and gets knocked about by the roads, it gets wet, hot, cold amongst other things!
We have 100k + German build ‘best’ quality units from 2 major manufacturers and they too had enough go wrong to question why we still do the camping thing, the GC has re-ignited my passion for it.
Looks are subjective but we love the looks, inside has been described as a dentist surgery, well when you have all your own personal effect in the white is minimal, in fact it compliments everything, it’s much better than 37 shades of ‘wood grain’ available on absolutely everything else out there ‘Adria excepted’, the build quality in the GC is very good, cupboards, drawers etc are all very well put together, better than the Adria in my opinion and please believe me when I say this, I really have looked closely behind the panels.
Im just adding my own ambient lighting using the control panel factory option, there are loads of connections which are there but not used (in mine) so I’ve gone in to the panel and enabled them, really easy to do (if you’re half handy with a screwdriver or should I say torx driver, no cheap screws here) you can do your own upgrades as you see fit.

TV is easy, loads of bracket options to mount on the wall or on the seats, I use 2 clips to mount a cable between the passenger seat headrests, cable runs through 2 ‘p’ clips which are screwed in to the vesa screws on the back of the TV, plug in a cheap fire stick and enjoy all your favourite channels and apps (Wi-Fi hotspot from your phone) - put the phone in the bathroom roof light and it’s as good as any wi-if roof aerial. Remember it’s a camper van, not a hotel room and you’ll love it too.

Anyway to summarise - the GC is similar in price to anything in it’s class, but I think it’s class leading, don’t get bogged down with the ‘the tap’s not very good’ brigade, get a new tap and fit it, it’s an hours job, the pump fails, it takes 20min’s to fit a new one, the cupboard catches rattle - you can adjust them to within an ounce of their lives and get them spot-on, it’s part of the ownership of these type of vehicle. With all that in mind I would have no hesitation in encouraging you to go down the GC route.
Best wishes whatever you choose.

Hello, we took the decision to buy a Grand California over the Adria Twin too, the main reason is the base vehicle, I’ve had Fiat base vehicles on all our motorhomes / campers right from 2005, let me tell you something which no-one can argue .. the VW is head and shoulders better to drive than the Fiat, I’m not knocking the Fiat, it’s a really good base vehicle, I’ve had Fiat van conversions, chassis cabs with motorhome, heavy chassis, big engines, auto …. The lot and the VW is soooooo much better to drive. Our GC is the 680 with some extras, not many but enough, we LOVE it compared to our last few vans, I’ve read loads of ‘gunk’ about how the GC has this and that issue, guess what, they ALL have issues, they’re a van with a house in it! It moves around and gets knocked about by the roads, it gets wet, hot, cold amongst other things!
We have 100k + German build ‘best’ quality units from 2 major manufacturers and they too had enough go wrong to question why we still do the camping thing, the GC has re-ignited my passion for it.
Looks are subjective but we love the looks, inside has been described as a dentist surgery, well when you have all your own personal effect in the white is minimal, in fact it compliments everything, it’s much better than 37 shades of ‘wood grain’ available on absolutely everything else out there ‘Adria excepted’, the build quality in the GC is very good, cupboards, drawers etc are all very well put together, better than the Adria in my opinion and please believe me when I say this, I really have looked closely behind the panels.
Im just adding my own ambient lighting using the control panel factory option, there are loads of connections which are there but not used (in mine) so I’ve gone in to the panel and enabled them, really easy to do (if you’re half handy with a screwdriver or should I say torx driver, no cheap screws here) you can do your own upgrades as you see fit.

TV is easy, loads of bracket options to mount on the wall or on the seats, I use 2 clips to mount a cable between the passenger seat headrests, cable runs through 2 ‘p’ clips which are screwed in to the vesa screws on the back of the TV, plug in a cheap fire stick and enjoy all your favourite channels and apps (Wi-Fi hotspot from your phone) - put the phone in the bathroom roof light and it’s as good as any wi-if roof aerial. Remember it’s a camper van, not a hotel room and you’ll love it too.

Anyway to summarise - the GC is similar in price to anything in it’s class, but I think it’s class leading, don’t get bogged down with the ‘the tap’s not very good’ brigade, get a new tap and fit it, it’s an hours job, the pump fails, it takes 20min’s to fit a new one, the cupboard catches rattle - you can adjust them to within an ounce of their lives and get them spot-on, it’s part of the ownership of these type of vehicle. With all that in mind I would have no hesitation in encouraging you to go down the GC route.
Excellent review - mirrors my view on our previous Ducato and our current 600. Of course, and you can't do it on the highway, and I wouldn't want to use it on a crowded campsite, the engine can act as a generator .......... and that button thing on the dash gives it an increased charge. Half an hour when wild camping will give your leisure battery a boost, and I doubt it's dirtier than much centrally produced electricity

Leisure battery is in the engine compartment ( … and starter is under the passenger seat). Off grid capability without solar is 36hrs at a push, with factory solar in the summer it’s easily a long weekend or endless if very sunny. Lots of different approaches to improving the off grid capability, from additional batteries to the lithium generator products from the likes of EcoFlow, scan this forum and join the Grand California UK facebook group which is another great resource. Similarly lots of TV mounting options you should find on this and the GC UK FB group. Alot of people mount it on the side of the wetroom wall, some with swivel brackets to allow it to swing to be viewed from the bed. I’ve made a bracket that mounts the TV onto the rear bench seat headrest holes when the headrests are removed.
Thanks very much for you reply and will be joining the GC UK FB page thanks

Thanks ery much for your comprehensive review.. I have confidence in the brand and you are motivating me forward with the difficult decision I have to make… now it’s 600 or 680, more window options in rear of 680 is good and more space.. also don’t mind the look of the 600 it grows on you.. the toilet set up looks absolutely first class..
Thanks again…

Similar van but not quite - I've got a Knaus BoxDrive 600XL which is very similar in layout to the GC 600. We've had it since May this year from new and done 30 nights either as a family of four or solo and I can't really fault it. Came directly from a T6 Cali Ocean and haven't looked back.

Back