Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New to Campervans - GC questions

W

williamd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi folks. I’m new here. Have been considering purchasing a camper for a while and now getting ready to buy. Was considering a California or conversion, but for now focussing on a larger vehicle with washroom etc. Have viewed a few non VW but not a massive fan of the interiors of most, also not a fan of Fiats, which appears to rule out a lot of options. So now seriously considering a 600GC (the extra length of the 680 is not suitable). I have some questions regarding off the grid, on the grid etc, some of which are probably a bit silly if you’re an experienced camper.

To give people an idea, main use is likely to be off peak times of year, i.e. not much in summer, mainly spring, autumn, some winter. Locations will be mainly Scotland (central, highlands and occasionally islands), though some runs to England and Ireland are also likely. Trips away will most likely be short, 1-4 nights, but possibly longer. Occupants will be my wife and I and possibly the pooch. Don’t envisage a lot of cooking other than maybe breakfast, snacks or occasional main meal. Based on the foregoing I consider off grid hot water and heating essential.

So:

How long can we realistically expect to be be able to survive off grid and still have hot water, heating etc? I assume going for a drive or to new location would charge the leisure battery? Can we run these things off a gas bottle?

If hooked up are these things unlimited?

Could we run a small microwave and/or pod coffee type machine when hooked up? Can we run these things off a power bank (expensive i know)?

Any options on the GC that should be “essential” (rev camera for me)?

I’ll probably have some more questions going forward, but for now some assistance on the above would be sincerely appreciated.

Hello Williamd,

There is soooo much to consider, options and to say about your topic that I think it is better that I just try to give you my "5cent" to your questions.

Off grid
There are a few things to consider going off grid. Heating and warm water can come either from the diesel heater or the gas heater. Both options have their pros and cons and people can talk about this alone for days on end. But with both options you shouldn't have issues to stay for 3 - 4 weeks (obviously depending how cold it is and how often you use hot water).
More to consider is fresh water. Again, that depends how much you use (shower, washing up etc.). I believe we (my wife and I) will get away with the 110L for about 4 - 5 days.
Electricity is another challange. It depends if you have a solar panel and then of the weather. The GC has one leisure battery with (I believe) 95A AGM. This is ok for 2 - 4 days. Again depending on usage. With solar panel and good weather longer.
What not to forget is the toilet. I believe 2x people will get away with 4 - 6 days before the cassette has to be emptied and cleaned.

Hooked up
In this case, more often than not, you are at a campsite. Yes, one can say it is kind of unlimited.
Yes, you can run small kitchen supplies if your camper is hooked up. In the T6 Ocean it was up to 2,500 watt I don't know how much it is in the GC, but I assume it is similiar. Talking about the Microwave. My wife loved to have one as well. For the T6 we bought one and I thought we could leave it in the boot and take it out when needed. I must be lazy because I didn't like doing this at all. So the microwave (as good as new) is stored in the garage.

Any essential options
Oh, that is another bit topic. Ask 10 people and you will get 11 answers. I believe it is difficult to provide suggestions, because what is important for me might not be important for you.
But let me mentioned some I think could be from advantage. Solar panel is a big thing. With the GC it is the first time we have one and it is great (well ok, the weather is nice...), traffic sign recognition is cool (but not important), blind spot warning (if you plan to drive over to the continent). Rear Traffic Alert is useful (I am not sure if it is available for the GC).
What I would have loved (but certainly not important) is the additional entertainment system in the living part of the camper, the ambiente light.

There is so much more to add and to consider, that a small book can be written about this. Take your time and think it thrue. Maybe you can rent a GC and give it a try to camp over the weeked.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

Eberhard comments above are spot-on - there really are no definitive answers to your questions ...
I would suggest that you spend a bit of time going through the threads in this section of the forum. They will give you a taster of the rabbit holes that await the intrepid vw gc voyager

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Hi folks. I’m new here. Have been considering purchasing a camper for a while and now getting ready to buy. Was considering a California or conversion, but for now focussing on a larger vehicle with washroom etc. Have viewed a few non VW but not a massive fan of the interiors of most, also not a fan of Fiats, which appears to rule out a lot of options. So now seriously considering a 600GC (the extra length of the 680 is not suitable). I have some questions regarding off the grid, on the grid etc, some of which are probably a bit silly if you’re an experienced camper.

To give people an idea, main use is likely to be off peak times of year, i.e. not much in summer, mainly spring, autumn, some winter. Locations will be mainly Scotland (central, highlands and occasionally islands), though some runs to England and Ireland are also likely. Trips away will most likely be short, 1-4 nights, but possibly longer. Occupants will be my wife and I and possibly the pooch. Don’t envisage a lot of cooking other than maybe breakfast, snacks or occasional main meal. Based on the foregoing I consider off grid hot water and heating essential.

So:

How long can we realistically expect to be be able to survive off grid and still have hot water, heating etc? I assume going for a drive or to new location would charge the leisure battery? Can we run these things off a gas bottle?

Could we run a small microwave and/or pod coffee type machine when hooked up? Can we run these things off a power bank (expensive i know)?

I’ll probably have some more questions going forward, but for now some assistance on the above would be sincerely appreciated.
We've ordered a GC600 to replace our current Ducato based van. Depending upon your licence, you may wish to check whether your optional extras take you over 3.5t. We've gone for an awning and roof beds which take it over that limit, but the first is more use in the south of France than Scotland and the second will be unnecessary to many. Our experience of the current van led us to order Locking Wheel Bolts, Heated Windscreen, Tyre Pressure Warning Light, Step Illumination On + Off Control, Driver Assistance Pack A, Rear-View Camera, Metallic Paint, Awning, Over-Cab Bed, and Lights + Vision Pack A. We didn't go for solar panel as we don't expect to wild camp for more than a night or two and will rely on charging the battery while driving. The GC takes two 11kg gas bottles, which will only be used for cooking, heating, and hot water, so we don't expect problems there. When on hook up most domestic devices work, dependent upon the supplied current. Good luck if you take the plunge!

So:

Hi William,

Your locations and intents are similar to mine. Here are some points of reference from my experiences so far with my GC 600.

- the heater and hot water can run off gas (or electric if on hookup, controlled by the panel outside the wet room). Gas running out will be the last thing you have to think about.
- I just did a 4 day trip solo, entirely off grid, but using the heater, hot water, showers, cooking, etc. I took 20l of drinking water in containers for cooking and coffee (I don’t drink from the tap in the van), but only used about 8l. I came back with 40% in the fresh water tank (I was frugal but not ludicrously so), 85% full grey tank, and the battery would have been “flat” (- keep in mind that particularly on the islands, there are some public water supplies and public chemical waste disposal points (assuming you use “green” instead of “blue”). You can still be “off grid” by using them. Note that most (all??) west coast campsites shut after October, so no choice anyway.
- for coffee, which is VERY important, I use v60 pour over with a commandante grinder and insulated hario carafe. For me, much better results than a pod system (given you can’t really steam milk properly anyway), and means you don’t need to power an additional appliance :) … but then, coffee preferences are a WHOLE other topic aren’t they and I don’t want to start a riot…
- if you want to power laptops or camera chargers, in a GC the sockets don’t work unless you are on a hookup (this is a sore point). I travel with a lithium “ generator” (big battery pack) for that reason.

Hi William,

Your locations and intents are similar to mine. Here are some points of reference from my experiences so far with my GC 600.

- the heater and hot water can run off gas (or electric if on hookup, controlled by the panel outside the wet room). Gas running out will be the last thing you have to think about.
- I just did a 4 day trip solo, entirely off grid, but using the heater, hot water, showers, cooking, etc. I took 20l of drinking water in containers for cooking and coffee (I don’t drink from the tap in the van), but only used about 8l. I came back with 40% in the fresh water tank (I was frugal but not ludicrously so), 85% full grey tank, and the battery would have been “flat” (- keep in mind that particularly on the islands, there are some public water supplies and public chemical waste disposal points (assuming you use “green” instead of “blue”). You can still be “off grid” by using them. Note that most (all??) west coast campsites shut after October, so no choice anyway.
- for coffee, which is VERY important, I use v60 pour over with a commandante grinder and insulated hario carafe. For me, much better results than a pod system (given you can’t really steam milk properly anyway), and means you don’t need to power an additional appliance :) … but then, coffee preferences are a WHOLE other topic aren’t they and I don’t want to start a riot…
- if you want to power laptops or camera chargers, in a GC the sockets don’t work unless you are on a hookup (this is a sore point). I travel with a lithium “ generator” (big battery pack) for that reason.
Hi William,
Could you elaborate on the lithium generator please. I’m considering all options at the moment to be full time off grid.
What you have, how you use it, charge it and how long it lasts please.
Thanks.

Hello Williamd,

There is soooo much to consider, options and to say about your topic that I think it is better that I just try to give you my "5cent" to your questions.

Off grid
There are a few things to consider going off grid. Heating and warm water can come either from the diesel heater or the gas heater. Both options have their pros and cons and people can talk about this alone for days on end. But with both options you shouldn't have issues to stay for 3 - 4 weeks (obviously depending how cold it is and how often you use hot water).
More to consider is fresh water. Again, that depends how much you use (shower, washing up etc.). I believe we (my wife and I) will get away with the 110L for about 4 - 5 days.
Electricity is another challange. It depends if you have a solar panel and then of the weather. The GC has one leisure battery with (I believe) 95A AGM. This is ok for 2 - 4 days. Again depending on usage. With solar panel and good weather longer.
What not to forget is the toilet. I believe 2x people will get away with 4 - 6 days before the cassette has to be emptied and cleaned.

Hooked up
In this case, more often than not, you are at a campsite. Yes, one can say it is kind of unlimited.
Yes, you can run small kitchen supplies if your camper is hooked up. In the T6 Ocean it was up to 2,500 watt I don't know how much it is in the GC, but I assume it is similiar. Talking about the Microwave. My wife loved to have one as well. For the T6 we bought one and I thought we could leave it in the boot and take it out when needed. I must be lazy because I didn't like doing this at all. So the microwave (as good as new) is stored in the garage.

Any essential options
Oh, that is another bit topic. Ask 10 people and you will get 11 answers. I believe it is difficult to provide suggestions, because what is important for me might not be important for you.
But let me mentioned some I think could be from advantage. Solar panel is a big thing. With the GC it is the first time we have one and it is great (well ok, the weather is nice...), traffic sign recognition is cool (but not important), blind spot warning (if you plan to drive over to the continent). Rear Traffic Alert is useful (I am not sure if it is available for the GC).
What I would have loved (but certainly not important) is the additional entertainment system in the living part of the camper, the ambiente light.

There is so much more to add and to consider, that a small book can be written about this. Take your time and think it thrue. Maybe you can rent a GC and give it a try to camp over the weeked.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard
Thank you very much for this Eberhard. It has helped a lot. I understand what you mean on the options. Not overly concerned about things like traffic sign recognition etc, have that on my car and never really look at it. I'm also not sure if I need Solar, or if I could add something on later. I'm definitely thinking about a power bank, or even a generator (the horror!) as an additional source of power. Research required.

Eberhard comments above are spot-on - there really are no definitive answers to your questions ...
I would suggest that you spend a bit of time going through the threads in this section of the forum. They will give you a taster of the rabbit holes that await the intrepid vw gc voyager

Ha, I'd already had a look but found it "challenging" to piece together. Certainly lots of useful information, and discussions about coffee etc.

We've ordered a GC600 to replace our current Ducato based van. Depending upon your licence, you may wish to check whether your optional extras take you over 3.5t. We've gone for an awning and roof beds which take it over that limit, but the first is more use in the south of France than Scotland and the second will be unnecessary to many. Our experience of the current van led us to order Locking Wheel Bolts, Heated Windscreen, Tyre Pressure Warning Light, Step Illumination On + Off Control, Driver Assistance Pack A, Rear-View Camera, Metallic Paint, Awning, Over-Cab Bed, and Lights + Vision Pack A. We didn't go for solar panel as we don't expect to wild camp for more than a night or two and will rely on charging the battery while driving. The GC takes two 11kg gas bottles, which will only be used for cooking, heating, and hot water, so we don't expect problems there. When on hook up most domestic devices work, dependent upon the supplied current. Good luck if you take the plunge!
Thanks. The roof bed is not really required for us, but if I buy a demo it may be on there anyway. Fortunately I have the C1. Other options are all very sensible, and not "gimmicky", which is where I need to draw the line when I'm looking. Thanks for the good luck, I think I'm on the right lines with this vehicle.

Hi William,
Could you elaborate on the lithium generator please. I’m considering all options at the moment to be full time off grid.
Thanks.
Think this is meant for far.landscape?

Hi William,

Many thanks for the info. A few follow ups.

I note your coffee comment, not something I'm getting into lol. This is more for my wife, she enjoys her Dolce or Nespresso.

I'm aware that most sites close for winter, but did see odd one open year round when I was doing some research. This does however mean I def need to have a power solution as don't think I can rely on solar or the leisure battery. A power bank or generator would seem to be the answer. I definitely need to be able to charge a laptop and potentially camera batteries, and other things I've forgotten about.

Power banks - obviously the bigger the better, but the expense goes up, and weight. Assume it is safe to lug these things around in a van too?

Generator - probably least desirable option, but probably cheapest too. But having to carry the gen and fuel reserve seems like a waste of resource and space.

Decisions!

I note your coffee comment, not something I'm getting into lol. This is more for my wife, she enjoys her Dolce or Nespresso.

I'm aware that most sites close for winter, but did see odd one open year round when I was doing some research. This does however mean I def need to have a power solution as don't think I can rely on solar or the leisure battery. A power bank or generator would seem to be the answer. I definitely need to be able to charge a laptop and potentially camera batteries, and other things I've forgotten about.

Power banks - obviously the bigger the better, but the expense goes up, and weight. Assume it is safe to lug these things around in a van too?

Generator - probably least desirable option, but probably cheapest too. But having to carry the gen and fuel reserve seems like a waste of resource and space.

Decisions!

I use a Goal Zero 1000x. It will charge the leisure battery from ~30% to ~100% SOC and use ~70% of its own SOC to do so (that’s adding approx 450w at a cost of approx 700w - these numbers are from memory so pls treat as indicative not absolute - the loss is due to the inverters and relative inefficiency of them).

It’s a Lithium NMC pack. Some people question the safety of them. Whether you believe it to be safe is a personal choice. They tend to be referred to as “Generators” or “Solar Generators” by the manufacturers, but that’s just a marketing term used to describe the fact that they are alternatives to diesel generators.

Hi William,
Thanks.

See my previous reply for a bit more info. At present, I just charge it in advance or while on hookup. I have a car charger for it too and am looking at getting a 160w ecoflow portable panel.

I use a Goal Zero 1000x. It will charge the leisure battery from ~30% to ~100% SOC and use ~70% of its own SOC to do so (that’s adding approx 450w at a cost of approx 700w - these numbers are from memory so pls treat as indicative not absolute - the loss is due to the inverters and relative inefficiency of them).

It’s a Lithium NMC pack. Some people question the safety of them. Whether you believe it to be safe is a personal choice. They tend to be referred to as “Generators” or “Solar Generators” by the manufacturers, but that’s just a marketing term used to describe the fact that they are alternatives to diesel generators.
Another couple of daft questions - is it necessary to charge the leisure battery after 2-3 days? Can't you just drive around to re-charge it? What runs off that battery, fridge/lights? Can you plug laptop/other small appliances straight into the "generator"?

Another couple of daft questions - is it necessary to charge the leisure battery after 2-3 days? Can't you just drive around to re-charge it? What runs off that battery, fridge/lights? Can you plug laptop/other small appliances straight into the "generator"?

In principle yes the leisure battery should charge from the engine, but mine doesn’t.

Yes you can plug things straight into the lithium generator if it has the right connections and/or an inverter to provide a standard 3 pin uk socket. However it’s far more efficient to avoid using that where possible, but for some appliances it’s the only option.

In principle yes the leisure battery should charge from the engine, but mine doesn’t.

Yes you can plug things straight into the lithium generator if it has the right connections and/or an inverter to provide a standard 3 pin uk socket. However it’s far more efficient to avoid using that where possible, but for some appliances it’s the only option.
so if you have your lithium power pack connect to the van’s ehu, you can use the 3 pin 240v sockets in the van?

so if you have your lithium power pack connect to the van’s ehu, you can use the 3 pin 240v sockets in the van?

Yes. Just note that there are limits on the total current you can run through the van, which is separate to the inverter limit on the lithium power pack. I’ve never needed to check that, but if you’re thinking of microwaves or coffee machines, you may need to check current requirements.

Ha, I'd already had a look but found it "challenging" to piece together. Certainly lots of useful information, and discussions about coffee etc.
Yes there's definitely a coffee worm hole on here..
I can close that one quite quickly- the solution is an Italian expresso maker on the gas hob. Ground coffee to taste in a properly sealed bag and absolutely no milk anywhere near it. Because as we all know that milk in coffee is the devils brew.
After a couple of these beverages at breakfast you will be ready for a full day of camper van chores, and if you are really lucky and get all your chores finished you just might have enough time to make it to the local pub before closing time.
Be warned this is indeed a rare occurrence as for most campers those chores never seem to end

Maybe (dare I say) Vanguard at Ft William may be able to supply one to your exact criteria.

Thanks for the suggestion, the idea of just getting something built to our own spec is being considered, though to be honest the build times etc do put me off a bit. Are you aware of any companies active on here that could help?

Thanks for the suggestion, the idea of just getting something built to our own spec is being considered, though to be honest the build times etc do put me off a bit. Are you aware of any companies active on here that could help?
No personal knowledge of any specific converter.

I've seen a few good reports on Celtic. Seem pretty rugged with gas tank option for long heat source.

There are lots more but most seem aimed at the summer family market whereas I think that you want more of an all season/weather practical fully independent unit.

I think that I'd rather have a bespoke one built than try to upgrade/adapt a production model.

No NEC show this year makes it more difficult to compare producers.

Decisions!
Hi, do not forget there are 5-6 USB sockets and x2 USB C’s around for charging x3 12v and x1 20v charging points around the GC.. I have just been off grid for 4 days and lucky to have some sun for the solar panel on a couple of days. Running fridge lights and charging although no boiler easy lasted and would have done more.

Update - thanks for everyone’s help with my questions on the GC. Ultimately we decided the vehicle was just a bit large and would dominate the road in front of our house (a narrow dead end street). So we decided to look at other options and are now proud owners of a 21 plate California Ocean.

I will post some questions I could do with some help/advice on in the relevant page shortly.

Back