Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How many leisure batteries do I have?

Krisdoff

Krisdoff

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hola! Fresh-faced newbie question. Living in Valencia and recently purchased first California (Spanish model 2023 T6.1 Ocean 4M). Very keen to do the off-grid thing so have ordered some solar panels (https://camperplanet.es/modulo-solar-camper-california-130-260-w/).

Thing is, I can't tell whether or not it has one or two leisure batteries (without taking the rear shelf out). Is it possible to determine this by looking at the amount of battery charge showing on the panel? I say this because, after a full charge (either through driving or EHU), the panel give an estimate of 24hrs with the fridge running at level 4. Would this indicate just one battery? The manual (in spanish) speaks of an optional second leisure battery in the rear.

Thanks

Hola! Fresh-faced newbie question. Living in Valencia and recently purchased first California (Spanish model 2023 T6.1 Ocean 4M). Very keen to do the off-grid thing so have ordered some solar panels (https://camperplanet.es/modulo-solar-camper-california-130-260-w/).

Thing is, I can't tell whether or not it has one or two leisure batteries (without taking the rear shelf out). Is it possible to determine this by looking at the amount of battery charge showing on the panel? I say this because, after a full charge (either through driving or EHU), the panel give an estimate of 24hrs with the fridge running at level 4. Would this indicate just one battery? The manual (in spanish) speaks of an optional second leisure battery in the rear.

Thanks
Ocean had two batteries. Good for off grid for about 3/4 days. We’ve just had four days off grid with fridge on level 3. Lights, charging phones and diesel heater on a couple of times. Used about 40% battery life. Two hour drive and they were fully charged again. Solar would be great for longer off grid adventures though.

Thanks
You have 2 x 75 amp leisure batteries, 1 under the Drivers seat LHD, and 1 under the rear wardrobe accessed by a panel on the L in the boot space.
These 2 batteries give a total of 150 amp hours of power, but only 75 amp hours are available before the voltage drops to 11.5 v which is the cut off voltage for fridge and/or Parking Heater.
The Control Panel shows voltage , which is accurate, and current draw in amps together with an estimate of time left before batteries are depleted to 11.5v .
If the fridge is on and the current draw is 3 amps then hours left will be 75/3 = 25 hrs.
BUT the fridge doesn’t continuously draw 3 amps as the compressor switches off when the fridge gets to the correct temperature and back on again if the fridge temperature rises. So the Hours remaining will vary according to whether the compressor is On drawing current or OFF not drawing current.
The voltage, measured at rest for 30 minutes is a better indicator of battery capacity.
IMG_1532.jpeg

Ocean has 2 leisure batteries and 1 starter battery . Beach has 1 leisure and 1 starter.

Back