Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure batteries

Brownbetty

Brownbetty

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi everyone, two years ago I had issues with the fridge cutting out through the day even though the the batteries were new & I've solar panel on the roof, we were abt four days into what should have been a few wks at Beadnel Bay when we packed up.
I found out it was a cube fuse that is attached to the leisure battery under the wardrobe, apparently if that blows the other battery under the passenger seat doesn't get charged from the solar panel.
My question is is there anyway of knowing if both your leisure batteries are getting fully charged from the solar panel, on the control panel in the van they showed a 100% when this cube fuse had blown.
Is there any quick easy way of checking without having to pull the batteries out. Cheers in advance

Hi everyone, two years ago I had issues with the fridge cutting out through the day even though the the batteries were new & I've solar panel on the roof, we were abt four days into what should have been a few wks at Beadnel Bay when we packed up.
I found out it was a cube fuse that is attached to the leisure battery under the wardrobe, apparently if that blows the other battery under the passenger seat doesn't get charged from the solar panel.
My question is is there anyway of knowing if both your leisure batteries are getting fully charged from the solar panel, on the control panel in the van they showed a 100% when this cube fuse had blown.
Is there any quick easy way of checking without having to pull the batteries out. Cheers in advance
Yes. Rewire the Solar panel connection to the Rear Battery. Connect it BELOW the Cube Fuse.

When the Solar Panel is working you will have a higher voltage on the Control Panel, between 12.7 to 13.4v and both batteries are charging.
If the Cube Fuse blows the 2 Leisure Batteries are disconnected from each other and the Control Panel voltage will be 12.7v or less.

Yes. Rewire the Solar panel connection to the Rear Battery. Connect it BELOW the Cube Fuse.

When the Solar Panel is working you will have a higher voltage on the Control Panel, between 12.7 to 13.4v and both batteries are charging.
If the Cube Fuse blows the 2 Leisure Batteries are disconnected from each other and the Control Panel voltage will be 12.7v or less.
Cheers Welsh gas I knew I could count on you I'll try that when I get chance.

From your story it would seem that your solar panel is already connected below the cube fuse, since the under-seat battery was no longer charged after the fuse had blown. So probably nothing to rewire, just check that the control panel shows the charging voltage on a sunny day.

Cube fuse okCube fuse blown
Front panel showsBoth battery voltagesFront battery voltage
Solar controller showsBoth battery voltagesRear battery voltage

Any voltage discrepancy suggests a blown cube fuse or similar electrical problem. As @Kingfisher pointed out it sounds like you are already wired like this.

Cube fuse okCube fuse blown
Front panel showsBoth battery voltagesFront battery voltage
Solar controller showsBoth battery voltagesRear battery voltage

Any voltage discrepancy suggests a blown cube fuse or similar electrical problem. As @Kingfisher pointed out it sounds like you are already wired like this.
I am showing 12.7 to 13.4 on the van control panel but haven't looked at the solar control unit, it's just lately when I've put the heater on with nothing else on it drops down to 12.5 or 70% that's why I was thinking is there only one leisure battery working.

I am showing 12.7 to 13.4 on the van control panel but haven't looked at the solar control unit, it's just lately when I've put the heater on with nothing else on it drops down to 12.5 or 70% that's why I was thinking is there only one leisure battery working.
If the Heater is switched On, the voltage will drop to 12.5 or lower as the heater fires up as it can draw 15-18 amps, but once fired up the current draw will drop and the voltage will gradually rise towards 12.5/12.7 v.

If the Heater is switched On, the voltage will drop to 12.5 or lower as the heater fires up as it can draw 15-18 amps, but once fired up the current draw will drop and the voltage will gradually rise towards 12.5/12.7 v.
Thanks that makes sense, with all the cold weather we've had I've been putting the heating on just before getting in and noticed the drop from full to 70% with in minutes. Thanks for the info, I love this forum

Back