Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How many miles?

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Well into our 900 miles (roughly) journey and it's looking more like 800.

A couple of reasons: I plotted 10% on top of all measurements for a) going off route to sightsee and b) getting lost. Whilst remarkably I have only added around 2% so far for getting lost and the foul weather for the first 8 days precluded all sightseeing I have another reason for seeing far less miles being clocked than anticipated.

Komoot.

I have used this route planner for all detailed sections, generally 10 mile at a time sections. So far it seems to score highest in estimating distance travelled. The three sections we rode today are a good example. 8.7 miles, 16 miles, and 7 miles. 31.7 miles in total and now all the scores are in the results are as follows:

Komoot predicts 31.7, the bike recorded 28.6 and my Garmin Forerunner watch recorded a miserly 25.6.

Of the three I would trust the bike most but I am really surprised at how komoot seems to overestimate most sections.

Well into our 900 miles (roughly) journey and it's looking more like 800.

A couple of reasons: I plotted 10% on top of all measurements for a) going off route to sightsee and b) getting lost. Whilst remarkably I have only added around 2% so far for getting lost and the foul weather for the first 8 days precluded all sightseeing I have another reason for seeing far less miles being clocked than anticipated.

Komoot.

I have used this route planner for all detailed sections, generally 10 mile at a time sections. So far it seems to score highest in estimating distance travelled. The three sections we rode today are a good example. 8.7 miles, 16 miles, and 7 miles. 31.7 miles in total and now all the scores are in the results are as follows:

Komoot predicts 31.7, the bike recorded 28.6 and my Garmin Forerunner watch recorded a miserly 25.6.

Of the three I would trust the bike most but I am really surprised at how komoot seems to overestimate most sections.

You will always have a bit of discrepancy between methods of measuring mileage, but that seems uncommonly high.

I have done some big cycling tours over the years, and find by far the most reliable is a properly calibrated Velo 5 or 8 bike computer.

To calibrate I mark with chalk the tyre and pavement, roll out fully laden ten revolutions of the front wheel, measure and divide by ten to get the wheel circumference. And I put this into the computer rather than use the pre-set approximations.

This should give very accurate speed and distance readings +/- 0.5% or better.

You will always have a bit of discrepancy between methods of measuring mileage, but that seems uncommonly high.

I have done some big cycling tours over the years, and find by far the most reliable is a properly calibrated Velo 5 or 8 bike computer.

To calibrate I mark with chalk the tyre and pavement, roll out fully laden ten revolutions of the front wheel, measure and divide by ten to get the wheel circumference. And I put this into the computer rather than use the pre-set approximations.

This should give very accurate speed and distance readings +/- 0.5% or better.

I ca. understand the forerunner being miserly, it's often the last thing to be turned on and often when we've been rolling a bit. The bike I would trust, it is programmed for the bike so will know the revolutions and wheel size. I am very surprised at Komoot,