Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much does it cost to run a Cali?

This is an update of a previous posts on running costs prompted by a friend asking the question before buying. My van has been serviced by a VW Commercial main dealer from the outset. I wonder if I have been paying through the nose? Yesterday I got the van back from service and MOT. While the van was in I got the usual call with the massive list of things I needed to do. One of these was front discs and pads. My answer to that was, "well that's fine you can do it under warrantee", to which the answer was, "How so?" I informed them that they had replaced these 4,500 miles ago and that they were under warrantee. The answer was, "Oh, we have had a look again and they are fine!" Which they most certainly are. :-(
If I have my sums wrong, I know someone will put me straight, as usual :)
I never really considered lifetime cost of my van in that way but if I have a think about the car i had before my cali (BWM estate) it seems like a cali is a bargain!
I bought it at 4 years old for £15k but list when new was close to £40k, i sold it at 8 years old for £6k so £34k depreciation in the same timeframe as your cali, it chewed through £800 worth of run flats about every 15k miles so another £4k for the 75k miles you covered in 8 years. I recon it averaged £500 a year for other servicing so another £4000, and its reached the £42k in 8 years without even considering fuel, tax & insurance.
Oh and the cali makes me smile and go on holiday more. BMW was just an A-B machine

How much does it cost to run a Cali?
If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO RUN A CALI?​

1. Purchased a very expensive new fully loaded Beach in October 2019.
2. Since then, only managed 3000 miles.
3. It costs £475 a year in VED to keep stationary on my driveway.
4. I haven't a clue what the overall costs are.
5. Should I reconsider ownership? ......................Hell no.

Similar situation, less mileage. I estimate that it has cost me £3.50 per mile to run mine during the past year, but better days are ahead.

Having just done the same calculation for my merc SLC it comes out at really eye watering figure somewhere in excess of £20 per mile. A result of awful depreciation and not enough miles covered.

I see since last years sheet you have tweaked the final value. Your estimated value at the year end may be extremely pessimistic, but its wrong to go back & change previous years values as you have done. What has happened is in the last 12 months values have gone up, so in fact you have had appreciation in 2020 & that makes the cost per mile very cheap for 2020, but shouldn't have an effect on say 2018s costs, obviously it does affect the whole life cost.

When I did a similar sum but on the back of a fag packet, I included my payments received for business mileage as a credit, I paid less than you new & got more trade in at the end, spread over 60k miles it made for pretty cheap motoring.
Absolutely right. I just moved the depreciation down across the years to match what I thought was a realistic value. I have updated that now to show the van appreciating in 2020 and 2021 to match what may be a realistic value?
By the way, I am not making a comment about whether the Cali is good value or not, cheap or expensive. For me, it is still the best thing I have ever bought. It is just info, if I get my sums right. If I don't, I know you guys will straighten things out which is what I love about this forum.

Attachments

• Van Costs v5.pdf
    104 KB · Views: 18
Absolutely right. I just moved the depreciation down across the years to match what I thought was a realistic value. I have updated that now to show the van appreciating in 2020 and 2021 to match what may be a realistic value?
By the way, I am not making a comment about whether the Cali is good value or not, cheap or expensive. For me, it is still the best thing I have ever bought. It is just info, if I get my sums right. If I don't, I know you guys will straighten things out which is what I love about this forum.
Apologies, only sent the pie-chart, here is the rest

Attachments

• Van Costs v5.pdf
    209.3 KB · Views: 28
Its good enough to prove you don't have to be mad to run a Cali. Those figures of course are pure motoring costs, without the added value of using it as a camper.

It costs far too much...

We have been keeping track of ALL costs since we own ours (nearly 8 years, now) in a big spreadsheet.

Our operational costs (fuel, maintenance & repairs, insurance, taxes) come to € 0.37 per km, including financing (opportunity costs of purchase & investments money) and depreciation € 0.56 per km.

We have never owned a car that expensive before. But we have never had so much joy from a car we owned as from our Cali! :cool:

Hi Bart,

Do you mind sharing the spreadsheet with us, ofcourse without your amounts?

Marc.

Second best vehicle we ever bought was our Mini Cooper d 1.5.
At just two years old and 20k miles it cost us £10600. Included a Mini 5 year service pack. Zero £ road tax.Only thing I bought was the Mini backed warranty after it was 3 years old at £350 a year. That really paid off when we had a window mech failure and flywheel pulley go bad..Saved paying £930..Looking on different sites it’s still worth £6k.Best vehicle is our California.Paid £42k new nearly 6 years ago and estimate looking at second hand prices still £40k +..Worst vehicle was my new Mercedes SLK. New £38k had 2 bare metal resprays got rid after 5 years and 18k miles..£13k. Don’t think because it has a famous name it’s going to be a great vehicle.
Next vehicle will probably be one with a 7 year warranty.

I really think you should name and shame the dealer, so that other owners can be aware of what I would consider to be criminal activity, and hence avoid them.
If you don't want to name them, how about a cryptic clue about the location or something like that. We need the help stamp out this type of activity. I bet you've got nothing in writing?
Spoke to management at the VW Commercial Dealership this morning. They didn't deny it. Well actually they couldn't deny it, it was in fact all in writing, including an admission of guilt. They said they have no explanation as to why the mechanic included the front discs and pads, recommending replacement, when they were clearly almost brand new, having done less than 4,500 miles. They stated that there was no motive for the mechanic to do this, as there was no mechanism for them to benefit from it. The matter is apparently under investigation. There were lashings of apologies all round and what appeared like genuine embarrassment. They seemed to be genuinely baffled as the video the mechanic took as part of the Vehicle Health Check also showed the discs and pads to be in nearly new condition. My next service will be free including all parts and labour.

I don't feel inclined to name and shame them. Not yet anyway. The main reason for this is that I have similar and in some instances worse experiences from other franchises. The lesson is, always be very vigilant and ask to see the parts they have removed. To say that they are all at it, may be a bit of an over-statement but it's a good working assumption, in my view.

Spoke to management at the VW Commercial Dealership this morning. They didn't deny it. Well actually they couldn't deny it, it was in fact all in writing, including an admission of guilt. They said they have no explanation as to why the mechanic included the front discs and pads, recommending replacement, when they were clearly almost brand new, having done less than 4,500 miles. They stated that there was no motive for the mechanic to do this, as there was no mechanism for them to benefit from it. The matter is apparently under investigation. There were lashings of apologies all round and what appeared like genuine embarrassment. They seemed to be genuinely baffled as the video the mechanic took as part of the Vehicle Health Check also showed the discs and pads to be in nearly new condition. My next service will be free including all parts and labour.

I don't feel inclined to name and shame them. Not yet anyway. The main reason for this is that I have similar and in some instances worse experiences from other franchises. The lesson is, always be very vigilant and ask to see the parts they have removed. To say that they are all at it, may be a bit of an over-statement but it's a good working assumption, in my view.
Well, you've got a result; I still think that they should be made to explain their actions to Trading Standards, as this sort of thing doesn't happen accidentally. Perhaps you could give a clue as to location?

Hi Bart,

Do you mind sharing the spreadsheet with us, ofcourse without your amounts?

Marc.
Marc, I can't message you privately on this forum. I have sent you a message on the german caliboard.de

That's a very good result for you, which makes me think they're motivated to not only compensate you, but encourage you not to publicise the problem any further. If I was you that franchise would still never see my Cali again (I presume you can have your next service at any franchised dealer), and as I'm not you I'd like to know who they are to avoid them!

That's a very good result for you, which makes me think they're motivated to not only compensate you, but encourage you not to publicise the problem any further. If I was you that franchise would still never see my Cali again (I presume you can have your next service at any franchised dealer), and as I'm not you I'd like to know who they are to avoid them!
Unless you get caught short needing a dealer a very very long way from home, you'll not come across them. :) . If need another VW Commercial Dealer, I too will have to travel an inconvenient distance. Life is a compromise.

They never ask mechanics to up sell where ever possible - get real. Service departments , Skoda in this case chase me for cambelt replacement on the Citigo for instance. No new new tyres or brakes etc . The only time you apparently dont need extra work is when its part of a pre paid service agreement. They even have the audacity (Audi) to say "please tell us upfront if your on a service agreement" Mechanics get pressured just like salesmen, I know a few.
Come on , in this case they get caught plain and simple. You should name them, after all as you say the facts are in writing.
Your reasoning is because some are even worse your not saying, poor excuse imo and the reason it will carry on.

They never ask mechanics to up sell where ever possible - get real. Service departments , Skoda in this case chase me for cambelt replacement on the Citigo for instance. No new new tyres or brakes etc . The only time you apparently dont need extra work is when its part of a pre paid service agreement. They even have the audacity (Audi) to say "please tell us upfront if your on a service agreement" Mechanics get pressured just like salesmen, I know a few.
Come on , in this case they get caught plain and simple. You should name them, after all as you say the facts are in writing.
Your reasoning is because some are even worse your not saying, poor excuse imo and the reason it will carry on.
I totally agree, they are all at it. So my message is just a reminder to be very vigilant and not to put up with it. Part of that is sharing my data on this forum so we can have a view about how often stuff should be changed, like springs and discs etc. Also, I haven't finished with this garage yet and one thing is for sure, I have their attention. So indeed let's all 'come on' and 'get real' and just assume that you local VW Commercial franchise is just the same as mine. Having said all that, if they had got or do get difficult with me, I will not hesitate to name them.

Its good enough to prove you don't have to be mad to run a Cali. Those figures of course are pure motoring costs, without the added value of using it as a camper.

I totally agree, they are all at it. So my message is just a reminder to be very vigilant and not to put up with it. Part of that is sharing my data on this forum so we can have a view about how often stuff should be changed, like springs and discs etc. Also, I haven't finished with this garage yet and one thing is for sure, I have their attention. So indeed let's all 'come on' and 'get real' and just assume that you local VW Commercial franchise is just the same as mine. Having said all that, if they had got or do get difficult with me, I will not hesitate to name them.
It is very interesting if your vehicle has a dash cam, every time the engine is started the camera starts recording, simple to find out roughly how many hours work has been undertaken. The contrast with the hours recorded on the job sheet is most illuminating.
The techs are bonus driven to complete jobs in less time than the service schedule allows, just a matter of which items are ignored, probably.

I've always found it best to have a laugh about it with them. Just to let them know, that you know, that they have tried it on.
You never know when you might need them again.

I expect every garage to try & upsell something every time a take a vehicle in for anything. VW appear to be no worse & considerably better than some. Normally the flashier the showroom the more the upsell.

Absolutely no point getting trading standards involved, no one has actually been ripped off. Garage response would probably be something like the recommendation was made based on what we could see with the wheels on, if we started the work, once the wheels were off we would have got a better view & seen that the brakes didnt need doing.

It is very interesting if your vehicle has a dash cam, every time the engine is started the camera starts recording, simple to find out roughly how many hours work has been undertaken. The contrast with the hours recorded on the job sheet is most illuminating.
The techs are bonus driven to complete jobs in less time than the service schedule allows, just a matter of which items are ignored, probably.
Most garages will disconnect a Dash Camera if you haven't already done it sighting Data Protection and Privacy legislation.

Most garages will disconnect a Dash Camera if you haven't already done it sighting Data Protection and Privacy legislation.
Good point, must hide it in the glove box.

This is an update of a previous posts on running costs prompted by a friend asking the question before buying. My van has been serviced by a VW Commercial main dealer from the outset. I wonder if I have been paying through the nose? Yesterday I got the van back from service and MOT. While the van was in I got the usual call with the massive list of things I needed to do. One of these was front discs and pads. My answer to that was, "well that's fine you can do it under warrantee", to which the answer was, "How so?" I informed them that they had replaced these 4,500 miles ago and that they were under warrantee. The answer was, "Oh, we have had a look again and they are fine!" Which they most certainly are. :-(
If I have my sums wrong, I know someone will put me straight, as usual :)

£3k in 2018 for EGR and timing belt!? Wow, that’s eye watering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your question is more relevant and important to you because you don’t own one. For me, it’s not as important as the joy I feel every time I use it (it’s not my main mode of transport) and the freedom and opportunity it provides when we do use it as it is meant to be used.
We also feel very proud of it-and so we should. It provides everything we need. They are brilliant vehicles.
Returning to your question. It’s a vehicle so like any other it needs insurance and tax. For me it’s no more than my car.
They need service, again, no more than my car.
Ours has cost us heavily over the last 36 months but nothing would force us to part with it.
We enjoy 6 star locations in France and Spain every year, Portugal too without anyone around us. Amazing.
They aren’t cheap but for us it has been the best investment we could ever make.
To quantify, we have owned for 8 years and maybe lost 4K on the price.
We have £40 k worth of great times and memories.
That’s an investment in my book.

£3k in 2018 for EGR and timing belt!? Wow, that’s eye watering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There was a service, MOT, track rod ends, water pump replacement and rectified air-bag fault in there as well. Nevertheless, yes, eye-watering. The ERG valve alone was more than half of that. Apparently, with the 180s of this vintage they have to take the front of the vehicle off to get at it. I think this why, those in the know buying second had 180s, ask if it has been changed out!

Without going into details, we had a diagnosis by VW Hatfield on our first 4Mo Cali, that it needed a new rear diff, a diagnosis l challenged. The Cali at that time was taken down at to AB Crush to get the roof corrosion fixed. They arranged for the VW Van dealer in Canterbury to test it, they found no fault!
I'd previously had what l considered poor service from them, and made VW HQ aware of this. Obviously others had had problems, because the service manager left shortly after. Hatfield are now no longer a California dealer, but still a van dealer.
Although it now means a long drive, l now intend using Breeze in Poole who did our last service.

Mmmmh,its just been serviced and there was no mention of the cam belt. Maybe next time. I was surprised that I have had to replace both rear springs though, one this time and one last year. I thought the T5s were designed to carry significant loads.
Apparently not according to my 08 reg SE + less than 80 K mls! Springhangers
& all!

Back