Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much Cali do you get for £20k??

jamesC

jamesC

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Some good friends of mine narrowly missed out on purchasing an early T5 California this weekend, at the time, I think they thought that this Cali was one of many, they test drove it and fell in love with it... when they rang on Monday, having sorted the finance out.... it was gone!.. They are gutted.

They currently have a 1989 Karmann Gypsy in lovely condition, but want to do some reliable euro cruising and this machine looked just the ticket!

So my question is, how much Cali can you expect for £20k??.. and does anybody have anything in that price bracket that they would like to go to a good home??

20k you will be struggling the cheapest Cali we have had on here for sale if my memory serves
Was 28k maybe in a year or two :thumb

That's late Westfalia California money. Which isn't a bad thing, but it will be LHD.

I'm probably the worst driver in history and I cope with LHD without any problems.

This one will probably be a bit less than that, millage is above average. http://www.vwcampersales.com/volkswagen ... list/1394/

Couple on ebay for around 15k, but older.

dan

The one which they missed was a 2005 T5 LHD 2.5d with electric door slide and some other bits... even had a silverscreen and california-camping.de roof topper.

It was at Stowmarket Caravans for £19,995.

Their current camper is LHD so no worries there!!

redredzimmer said:
The one which they missed was a 2005 T5 LHD 2.5d with electric door slide and some other bits... even had a silverscreen and california-camping.de roof topper.

It was at Stowmarket Caravans for £19,995.

Their current camper is LHD so no worries there!!

That would be about right. I've said before that eventually people will realise you can get early T5 Calis LHD for that money.

That's why I think it's difficult to justify a late T4 Cali, as good as they are.

James

Get a Crackin converted t5 for that money as well ;-)

get a west lhd T4.....!! good value ....goood spec....talk to andy at campervans4u

A T5 Cali LHD would be a better bet in my view. You have the comexties of the electric roof. But pre face lhd Calis are normally well equipped and its a more modern vehicle. The T4 is an excellent vehicle but for the same money I just wouldn't take one over a T5. The T4 hasn't reached classic status (yet) so what's the justification for charging that for a T4. Sure something is worth what people are willing to pay, I just think there is a smarter way of doing things. I will be interested to see of anyone starts to import early T5 Calis from mainland Europe.

I believe prefacelift Calis came in Trendline and Comfortline trim.

The T4 California is amazing. I loved seeing the Generation edition of COTF

James

There is a company is south west cornwall that will convert a twin slider or off side slider T5 using all genuine VW California parts. The conversion looks great so if you get a good base van you could get your Cali for approx 20k, maybe less!

I was thinking about it before starting my CALIFORNIAISH conversion!

choplee said:
Get a Crackin converted t5 for that money as well ;-)

Converted into what? I've yet to see an aftermarket conversion I'd be happy to spend more than £5k on. :lol:

S.

Wow, never seen a T5 cali for such a low amount. No wonder it went so fast!

The problem is unless you pick a Caravelle your T5 will not be a California or close to it. The base van which full Cali's are based on is a multivan and that's very different to a standard transporter.

I am not convinced any company, no matter how good they are, can replicate a full Cali.

James

It's only when you've owned the genuine article that you can fully appreciate what goes into one and the subtleties involved.

Low volume manufacturers will never be able to tool up properly and get close to the quality of a full scale vehicle company.
In my view they are actually more expensive pound for pound.

S.

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:

It didn't go that fast, the dealer first advertised it in late Feb, all be it at a higher price initially!

redredzimmer said:
TwentyOneThirtyFive said:

It didn't go that fast, the dealer first advertised it in late Feb, all be it at a higher price initially!
I always used to think autosleepers were top quality but since getting our cali I've realised they're not all that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Good find James!!... have passed it on!

redredzimmer said:
Good find James!!... have passed it on!

You'd have to import these vans from Germany - that costs - then there's the cost of changing headlights etc and registering in the UK. But it could still be cost effective.

What intrigues me is that there are one or two companies importing high end Caifornia T4's and selling them at a quite high price. Why not do it yourself? Okay there may be hassle and cost but it's worth noting that those German T5 Cali's start around 25,000 Euros.

Prefacelift LHD's tend to be better equipped than their RHD counterparts, particularly as they use the Multivan dash - so Sat Nav - Climtronic - Radio controls on Steering Wheel - Rain sensors - are more common.

I see a time when LHD Cali's start to appear more - some bright spark will probably make a business out of it lol
James

I see a time when LHD Cali's start to appear more - some bright spark will probably make a business out of it lol

Now theres an idea James !

Andy said:

Now theres an idea James !

Don't Andy lol I have thought about it lol. I am not going to be appearing on Dragon's Den anytime soon so I don't think it will be me.

But the concept is there - import early LHD Cali's into the UK - depends on demand but 25k for a Cali even in LHD form seems tempting.

James

But the concept is there - import early LHD Cali's into the UK - depends on demand but 25k for a Cali even in LHD form seems tempting.

Is tempting indeed. Wouldn't lower my self to Dragons Den. Even been tempted by some of the better priced calis in the for sale section !!

But if T5 Cali's are already appearing in the UK at £20k then the margin isn't there!!

Evening all I am the person red red Zimmer is talking about the Cali in question would of been a good buy and a slip up on my part had it been a t3 Cali I would have been on the ball but live and learn. James I have emailed the one on the German link you found and will phone them tomorrow importing wont be an issue as my last Cali I imported from Frankfurt just a bit ironic I will need to fly abroad to buy one when there was the one 10 miles away. I was the first person to view and drive the Cali in all the time they had it for sale

redredzimmer said:
But if T5 Cali's are already appearing in the UK at £20k then the margin isn't there!!

That's the problem isn't it. I don't think Cali's are appearing in large numbers but the cost of importing etc would probably make it a no go.

It's an interesting idea though - importing a high spec early German T5 Cali.

James

Import costs are not that high it's around £80 for the export/import plates and documents and then when back in the uk it's the cost of an mot and tax and £55 fee

Back