Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service cost - too much or about right

kernnowkarmann

kernnowkarmann

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all,

Just requested service cost from local dealer who to be fair have been great when taking the van and the golf in throughout last year

I was a bit surprised at the cost of the 60,000 km service (it will be the 3rd stamp in the book, I think the dealer just changed oil when i bought it), the last full service being shown at 35,000km/

I've attached a copy of the breakdown, if you can't read German (like me) then google translate showed DGS oil change etc so it looks like a FULL service

Does €911 (£785) seem right. Of course this doesn't take into account brakes etc I am guessing

Or should I be looking for an independent garage to service it?

PS was surprised to see oil as 0w-30, i thought it was supposed to be 5w-30, or does in not make much difference?

Devis VW California KS 5276 - Inspektion mit Ölwechsel 60.000 Km1024_1.jpg

Thats some expensive engine oil.
Taken as whole though, including DSG oil change, that not a bad price incl tax. I would have liked to see them clean or replace the DSG filter.

Thats some expensive engine oil.
Taken as whole though, including DSG oil change, that not a bad price incl tax. I would have liked to see them clean or replace the DSG filter.
Yes, looks like about €30 a litre for oil! What would a dealer normally charge? I'm happy to query them on it. I mean, 5l of expensive castrol is only about €60!

I mean, 5l of expensive castrol is only about €60!
They don't even buy individual containers so the cost is significantly less than that when supplied in drums. I would call another dealer and ask what they charge for an oil change.

I queried it and they responded:

Hello,

After checking the price quote, the price of the oil is indeed correct.

We tend to use a higher-grade oil for the cars serviced with us.

What do they use - liquid gold?!

I queried it and they responded:

Hello,

After checking the price quote, the price of the oil is indeed correct.

We tend to use a higher-grade oil for the cars serviced with us.

What do they use - liquid gold?!
Its called Black Gold for a reason, especially that brand. Have you inquired at another dealer which I assume uses a VW approved grade too?

It’s some years since I lived in Germany, but I always used to negotiate providing the oil for the service, and then bought it cheaper at Obi or similar. Don’t know if your garage would accept that!

Its called Black Gold for a reason, especially that brand. Have you inquired at another dealer which I assume uses a VW approved grade too?
Yes, waiting for a quote from another VW dealer in Luxembourg, might also try emailing a couple across borders in Germany and Belgium if they are close enough to warrant the trip!

It’s some years since I lived in Germany, but I always used to negotiate providing the oil for the service, and then bought it cheaper at Obi or similar. Don’t know if your garage would accept that!
So, I got another quote and it was more expensive, but my local VW garage have just come back to me saying I can take my own oil in as long as it is compatible.

Now, they were going to use 0w-30 but am I right in saying that Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 is also compatible (and seems to be most recommended, it's what I've topped up with!)

Going to keep it simple and use the Castrol Edge 0w-30 (do a few short journeys and also couple of trips to Alps), it's the grade they were going to use but it will save me just over €100 - it all helps! (as they'll probably find another problem to compensate.....)

So, I got another quote and it was more expensive, but my local VW garage have just come back to me saying I can take my own oil in as long as it is compatible.

Now, they were going to use 0w-30 but am I right in saying that Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 is also compatible (and seems to be most recommended, it's what I've topped up with!)
We are away at the moment so I can’t check what brand was used but I do know it was 0-30. That was for a minor service which cost me £206 back in April. At previous services the oil was always 5-30.

Going to keep it simple and use the Castrol Edge 0w-30 (do a few short journeys and also couple of trips to Alps), it's the grade they were going to use but it will save me just over €100 - it all helps! (as they'll probably find another problem to compensate.....)
0W-30 exceeds 5w-30 it relates to viscosity at 0 degrees or 5 degrees

the former is better for low temp environments but will in no way harm your engine.
just Check the specification meets or exceeds VW stated requirement (should say the spec on the bottle & quite often shows VW /Audi sign Etc)

edit: your user manual will state the spec required

0W-30 exceeds 5w-30 it relates to viscosity at 0 degrees or 5 degrees

the former is better for low temp environments but will in no way harm your engine.
just Check the specification meets or exceeds VW stated requirement (should say the spec on the bottle & quite often shows VW /Audi sign Etc)

edit: your user manual will state the spec required
Thanks, every site I've looked on says Castrol Edge is compatible

The long answer:The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has established a numerical code system for grading motor oils according to their viscosity characteristics. Because the viscosity of oil changes with temperature, multigrade oils were developed to provide protection across a range of temperatures. This is why you would see something like this on the label: SAE 5W-30.

In a 5W-30 for example, the number before the W describes the viscosity of the oil at low temperatures. The lower the number, the thinner the oil and the better the oil’s cold temperature/ cold start performance. The number after the W describes how thick the oil is at the engine’s normal operating temperature.

Jeez, so it never ends, I sent the garage a picture of the back of the Castrol Edge 5w-30 oil can to show that matches VW 507/504 requirements and they came back with:

Unfortunately, we cannot use that oil due to it not being allowed by Volkswagen.
We are only allowed to use the 0W30 507/504.

I've no idea how this can be but then found Shell Helix Professional 0w-30 that meets the requirements and is about €20 cheaper per 5l bottle....

Back