Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much storage in the folding roof

M

mike&agnes

VIP Member
Firstly to say a big "Hi" to everyone. Our new Cali arrives in a couple of weeks time & we are itching to try it out. With any luck we will have it in time for the Hollands Wood meet & hope to meet many of you seasoned Cali experts there and pick a few brains.

In the meantime we have a question regarding how much of anything can be stored in the folding roof when collapsed. Many of the excellent posts seem to suggest that certain key items can be left in place, but I guess the limit is quickly reached.
Of the things that we are thinking of & in rank order of importance they are:

1) Iso-top
2) Matterss cover
3) Fitted sheet
4) Mattress topper (Just ordered the Memory Foam from Nick via the Forum)
5) Windscreen Blinds

Obviously an Iso-Top is designed to stay in place, but if we add that, how much further down the list can we realistically expect to get?

Agnes & Mike
180 DSG, Natural Grey: Arrives in in 2 weeks. We can't wait
:hello

You can leave all of those items up in the roof, with the exception of number 4.....

Hi Mike and Agnes welcome to the forum :hello

I'm really glad you asked this question as I was under the impression that nothing could be left up there when the roof was closed. Its nice to know that a few items can be which don't damage it.

A really daft question here but is the Iso-top you have listed another name for a Vanorack type of cover??

The Iso-top is nothing like the 'Vanorak' external roof covers.
It is a Gore-tex wind/waterproof liner that hangs / is fitted inside the canvas roof bellows.
It is a Brandrup accessory. See their web site for details or I think the catalogue is in the documents/downloads section on here.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

It depends on the type of windscreen cover.
We have silver screens from Just Kampers which you roll up in a tube for storage.
I can testify that these ought not to be put in the roof.... When we closed down our roof with them up there the roof stuck up above the normal roof line by about 6 inches, not good!
We have since tried the folding tent arrangement that Volkswagen supply for the windscreen and it seems to work, although putting away the side window covers can be an frustrating exercise, and I am interested to hear that they will go up there, presumably in that little bag they come in.
Currently our bag is under the drivers seat with the service book etc

It depends on the type of windscreen cover.

We're talking original VW screen blinds & nothing any thicker or you will twist & possibly damage the roof.

presumably in that little bag they come in.

No not in the bag, just slide them under mattress whole having taken them off the screen & windows. As above anything thicker & you risk damaging the roof, it is not designed as storage.

There are threads about this in the forum.... do a search !

BerndRos said:
You can leave all of those items up in the roof, with the exception of number 4.....
Thanks for this prompt & clear response. Much appreciated.
Mike & Agnes

Thanks Andy, a good tip and it saves the business of folding the side window blinds.

David

We keep a mattress protector and fitted sheet on the roof bed, plus the two side cab window screens laid flat. Saves having to wrestle with them.