Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to add an eighth seat...

F

floorenmerel

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Dear all,

I'm new to this forum and I have joined for a very specific reason.

I bought a Multivan (sorry folks) T5 custom built camper van. It is a 7-seater that I want to convert to an 8-seater. I thought this could be done by swapping the passenger seat for a double one.

Turns out this is not allowed because mine has an airbag. Is there any other way to create that extra seat?

Kind regards,

Floor Koppejan

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Dear all,

I'm new to this forum and I have joined for a very specific reason.

I bought a Multivan (sorry folks) T5 custom built camper van. It is a 7-seater that I want to convert to an 8-seater. I thought this could be done by swapping the passenger seat for a double one.

Turns out this is not allowed because mine has an airbag. Is there any other way to create that extra seat?

Kind regards,

Floor Koppejan

I don’t see why that couldn’t be done. In the U.K. the double passenger seat also has a dashboard air bag, but it is larger than the air bag for the single seat.
not infrequently a single seat is swapped for a double and the airbag is swapped also.

I would have thought weight considerations and insurance requirements Would have more implications.

If it there are children involved you can fit a four seat multimac in the back bench. That takes two small adults and two kids. It is officially a child seat so no legal or insurance issues.

The possible problem with an eighth seat (well it is with a sixth seat in the ocean here in Belgium) is the total payload. So if you have a heavy fifth and sixth seat you need the corresponding spare payload for six adults. (Which is why you can't order 4mitiin with five seats, for example)

Thanks folks that does help me. I'd heard about those Multimac extra seats solutions but totally forgot about it. Will look it up, though I think it's a British company so it's probably wise to ask the RDW (vehicle/transport authority) before buying anything.

Weight and payload should be taken into consideration as well, especially since our Multivan is a custom built camper van, Multivans already being heavy of themselves.

What about seat airbags?
Does a double bench has a seat airbag? I think that is the problem if a double seat bench doesn't have an airbag, you will have an airbag fault.

Anyone has an idea?

What about seat airbags?
Does a double bench has a seat airbag? I think that is the problem if a double seat bench doesn't have an airbag, you will have an airbag fault.

Anyone has an idea?
Double front passenger seat does have an airbag. It is larger than the single seat airbag and so has to be installed along with the seat.

Double front passenger seat does have an airbag. It is larger than the single seat airbag and so has to be installed along with the seat.
I already hoped so.
Thanks.

Thanks folks that does help me. I'd heard about those Multimac extra seats solutions but totally forgot about it. Will look it up, though I think it's a British company so it's probably wise to ask the RDW (vehicle/transport authority) before buying anything.

Weight and payload should be taken into consideration as well, especially since our Multivan is a custom built camper van, Multivans already being heavy of themselves.

I spoke to multimac and they told me they have cleared it with all the relevant authorities in the UK and throughout the EU, both for insurance and governmental. It is legal and because it is officially a removeable child seat, there is no need for additional registration for the extra passenger.

I spoke to multimac and they told me they have cleared it with all the relevant authorities in the UK and throughout the EU, both for insurance and governmental. It is legal and because it is officially a removeable child seat, there is no need for additional registration for the extra passenger.
Make sure you inform you insurance company to “note” the possibility of using an additional child seat to increase the capacity to 8.
It may not affect your insurance premiums but may impact your ability to claim in the instance of an accident where the insurer may say the vehicle occupancy exceeded the stated occupancy for your vehicle.
It’s semantics, but important to have it noted with your insurer

Make sure you inform you insurance company to “note” the possibility of using an additional child seat to increase the capacity to 8.
It may not affect your insurance premiums but may impact your ability to claim in the instance of an accident where the insurer may say the vehicle occupancy exceeded the stated occupancy for your vehicle.
It’s semantics, but important to have it noted with your insurer
Thanks. Indeed. I've already done so. My seat arrives tomorrow. Pics to follow.

Back