Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to heat a Cali without the parking heater?

B

bilberry

Guest User
We've been using a great little Bionaire ceramic fan heater for instant warmth when camping in winter in our Beach. The thermostat doesn't work now, though, and it is a bit noisy. We're just wondering if there's a better option out there or whether just to put up with this one (especially as it's small enough to go in the slide-out drawer).

Options seem to be an oil-filled radiator - but aren't they bulky and heavy? And don't they take ages to get warm?

Are there any other options I've missed?

We have a 750w mini oil filled radiator that fits in on of our plastic boxes in the boot. The heat is not instant like a blower so no good if you have just come back from a freezing walk. We place it between the front seats and leave it on so the van is cosy overnight etc. The stat is usually set at about 2/3 of max and keeps the van plenty warm enough. Benefits are no noise at all from it. It probably would fit the pull out drawer.

Thanks, Larrylamb. I've also been looking at oil-free radiators, which seem to heat up faster. I've only found one small one online, but can't really tell how it compares. What make is yours, by the way? Perhaps an alternative would be a quieter fan heater with a more reliable thermostat, but – as always – I'm hopeful that there's some miracle solution out there that I haven't yet found!

We have something similar but ours is only 450w, the upside is it's very small. We also keep it between the front seats. We often leave it on during the day when we're out and about as it seems pretty safe.
Think we got ours from Argos, they've got a good range on their site.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Thanks, Larrylamb. I've also been looking at oil-free radiators, which seem to heat up faster. I've only found one small one online, but can't really tell how it compares. What make is yours, by the way? Perhaps an alternative would be a quieter fan heater with a more reliable thermostat, but – as always – I'm hopeful that there's some miracle solution out there that I haven't yet found!
Ours is a generic model I think labelled "Dunelm Mill" I don't think they sell it anymore. Argos have a good choice.

I've often posted how I prefer the small ceramic fan heaters (over oil filled etc) when on hook up. I have however struggled to find one with a small enough range between 'on' and 'off', resulting in getting too hot before it goes off, and too cold before it fires up again. Also, as I sleep upstairs, I can't just activate it from bed to take the chill off the van.
However, I'm hoping to have a found a solution ........
thermo.PNG
I've read the pdf instructions and it appears it powers up to the target temperature (say 20c) and then powers off until 19C is recorded, both as measured by the wireless part that can be taken 'upstairs'. By switching it to Fahrenheit, you maybe able to narrow that range even further.
I'll let you know how I go on.
Ebay item no 201222139628

Back