Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative to Aux Heater when on EHU

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
When on campsites where I have an EHU pitch, it always seems wasteful to use diesel for heating and only make use the EHU for the fridge and lighting. When the great Whites make much use of their EHU, our use is fairly minimal. I have tried different sorts of heaters from small fan heaters to oil filled radiators but they either took up too much space or I was worried about safety.

I read a review of the Kampa Diddy heater which has 2 settings, 750W or 1500W and bought one from the Club Shop.
My week in Snowdonia last week gave it a good testing and I found it to be excellent. The low setting was more than adequate to raise the temp from -2C to 25C in 15-20 minutes. I had the roof down due to the high winds so it is a comparatively small area, but the Diddy heater certainly puts out the heat. There is a cutout switch underneath it so if it falls over it turns off .
It seems to be designed for tents so the lack of a thermostat is not important due to the heat loss, but a Cali is better insulated and the only way to control the heat is to turn it off. An alternative as suggested by @El Greco is a wireless controlled thermostatic plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...ctric+Heating+And+Cooling+OTS100+OPS100+White

It's very compact and fits easily behind the passenger seat, H: 22 x W: 17 x D: 7.5cm, it can also be taken into the awning.

Simon

Thanks for the test Simon. Sounds like a useful addition for when on extended hookup.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can also use it to heat the upstairs for a few minutes when you pull the bed down which is a bonus when it's really cold.

Back