Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil filled radiator to heat the Cali

C

CaliforniaCylus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
We have the Diesel heater for when we are off grid but we do stay at sites with electricity included and want to use an electric oil filled radiator in those instances. We like ceramic fan heaters but feel the oil ones are a bit safer in a tight space.

In these kind of temperatures (around 0C), has anyone any experience of what would be the power required to heat up the Cali with the pop-top up, no insulation.

Obviously the smaller the better...

Don't bother. More crap to carry you don't need. set diesel heater timer to come on before your back at the van. There's no need to be reluctant to use the amazing onboard heating. I run mine all night for days on end with no issues. As for cost you can't notice it on the fuel gauge.assuming a radiator is 50 quid it's not worth it. Yes I do winter camp

We have the Diesel heater for when we are off grid but we do stay at sites with electricity included and want to use an electric oil filled radiator in those instances. We like ceramic fan heaters but feel the oil ones are a bit safer in a tight space.

In these kind of temperatures (around 0C), has anyone any experience of what would be the power required to heat up the Cali with the pop-top up, no insulation.

Obviously the smaller the better...
Is this because of cost? Or because you do not want to smoke out the other people who are camping?

Is this because of cost? Or because you do not want to smoke out the other people who are camping?
If your heater smokes out other campers it needs a service. As for other campers shouting at the side of my van at 6 am I wish I had a 'smoking the twats out' button on the heater

If your heater smokes out other campers it needs a service. As for other campers shouting at the side of my van at 6 am I wish I had a 'smoking the twats out' button on the heater

I just got smoked ! I’m sitting on driver seat and wife went round to boot to fetch in the portapotti leaving sliding door open just as heater fired up. She wants corrective training.
Seriously, I’m converted to your opinion that van heater uses so little diesel it isn’t worth bothering with a little electric heater even if it is free to run on hook up.

Yes. If I've paid for electricity it seemed logical to use it but I can see it is more stuff to carry around

Yes. If I've paid for electricity it seemed logical to use it but I can see it is more stuff to carry around

We’ve been using a little Outdoor Revolution fan heater for last 2 years on hook up and to be fair it’s been good but last night was -3C so we left the van heater on all night for first time at setting 3. It’s a different world. It’s also been on for last 5 hours at setting 5 and honestly the fuel gauge hasn’t moved.

Any source of heat is good .
I have used a 3kw oil radiator which made a cold van very toasty indeed. Only used 1st of 3 levels and set thermostat to suit.
No problem carrying it considering the benefits and the fact that the electric is ‘free’ . IMG_1749.jpeg
Using the diesel heater is ok but kicking in and out all night and the tick tick tick .
✅

When running flat out the onboard heater burns 0.3L of diesel per hour (see door sticker). Even on the hottest setting it goes to idle mode quite a lot so you’ll never actually achieve the max burn.

Eddie eagle- do you run the tv, heater and light from the socket all at the same time, doesn’t it trip the electric??

Oil filled radiators need to settle in an upright position for a bit before turning on, so you probably would need to transport it upright somehow. Although safer than normal convection radiators, they still pose a risk if covered up (e.g. a piece of clothing slides off the seat onto it, or if you're sleeping downstairs your bedding goes off the end of the bed). Their heating effect is purely convection with no blown air effect; if you're sleeping upstairs and the rad is between the front seats, I guess that might be slightly more effective, but the built in heating will distribute heat around the van better as a whole.

As above really, the diesel heater doesn't use much fuel and is very effective.

Not had an issue with tripping……I have tried a smaller rad, only 1 Kw but it wasn’t as effective so the bigger one
gets to travel upright belted in the back seat and set up on site.
It’s only me camping so no kids or pets to knock anything or drop clothing about.
The diesel heater is probably the best component of the van but when you’ve a paid for hook up?

Last edited:
I have used a 3kw oil radiator which made a cold van very toasty indeed. Only used 1st of 3 levels and set thermostat to suit.
No problem carrying it considering the benefits and the fact that the electric is ‘free’ . View attachment 116831
Using the diesel heater is ok but kicking in and out all night and the tick tick tick .
✅

But where do you place the dishwasher though? :)

No problem carrying it considering the benefits and the fact that the electric is ‘free’ . View attachment 116831
✅
We actually make do with a little 500W oil radiator when off grid, as you get quite a bit of 'free' heat while the thermostat has cut the power due to the nature of the heat-retaining properties in the oil.

You do need to sit close to it though.

We also sometimes (if really cold!) carry a terracotta flower pot with a hole in the bottom and a few tealights - they give a similar heat output to the 500w oil radiator for 2-3 hours for literally pennies when you upturn it over a baking tray - many videos on Youtube, for those interested. Surprisingly effective and almost no cost.

We rarely camp with EHU, relying on DC and solar charging, so every watt counts!

I like the diesel heater as much as the next van… but in a quiet campsite it is noisy and smelly.

Whenever I’m knowingly on hookup I’ll take our Delonghi Bambino 500(watts). It is utterly fantastic and not obtrusive between the front seats.

EA50B84F-77BE-4E65-BF0B-14143B0201C1.jpeg

A15BD57D-C5F7-4273-B19F-03F7AAD18299.png

7570796E-AF0B-4745-86B5-41F74704051E.png

Last edited:
We also sometimes (if really cold!) carry a terracotta flower pot with a hole in the bottom and a few tealights - they give a similar heat output to the 500w oil radiator for 2-3 hours for literally pennies when you upturn it over a baking tray - many videos on Youtube, for those interested. Surprisingly effective and almost no cost.
Amazing! does this really work? Where do you put it?

is that not a fire risk?

Never tried it, but Googling suggests that the output from a tealighter candle is around 30 Watts.
To replicate the output from a 500W heater, wouldn't that require nearly 17 tealighters?

Granted, depending on the van internal temperature, a 500W oil filled heater with thermostatic control may not be running at 500W all the time.

Just testing it out in the house, with a little flowerpot & two tea-lights in a dish.

I like the diesel heater as much as the next van… but in a quiet campsite it is noisy and smelly.

Whenever I’m knowingly on hookup I’ll take our Delonghi Bambino 500(watts). It is utterly fantastic and not obtrusive between the front seats.

View attachment 116848

View attachment 116849

View attachment 116850
I’m sorry but if your Parking Heater is that noisy and smelly it probably is faulty and needs a service. On the CL sites I’ve been on the neighbours televisions are louder than my heater, and smell is non existent

Take care with those tea lights under a flowerpot. When lumped together under a flowerpot the combined heat can be to much. There is a risk of overheating paraffine and creating a singel large flame. This method of heating is shown a lot on youtube, but is a real fire hazard. Because of the paraffine in a tin can it looks innocent but once they start burning as one it quickly turns into something you do not want in your shed, cali, room, house.

Take care, be safe!

Regards from Baarland, Holland,

Tycho

B9F9DD88-5610-417D-9693-3330983EF5CA.jpeg

It’s minus 6 right now. The van heater has been on from 3 in the afternoon until 10 at night at level 5 and overnight at level 3 for last 2 days. The van is toasty. The fuel gauge was showing 7 bars 2 days ago and it still shows 7 bars. Now, it’s using diesel, we all know that, but really not enough to be bothered about. Upturned flowerpots. No.

Also, remember to keep the sliding doors underneath the sink closed - it’s like a fridge in there! I also stuff some blankets/throws down the side of the bench seat, as using only the diesel heater you can get draughts from the rear as there’s no heater vent back there.
I love and regularly do winter camping, but I hate the cold.

Back