Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to swap the Media interface cable?

Paul_W

Paul_W

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Good morning all, read some threads here about the MDI cable but can’t quite figure out to change the cable without pulling the dash to bits

So I want to swap the fitted old iPod style cable with either the usb or new style iPod cable which you can pick up for a few quid. Problem is I can’t see how to disconnect the existing cable to attach the new one.

In other VW’s I look at the MDI port seems to terminate in the glove box so you can simply unplug one cable and attach the other ones. In the Cali the cable just seems to disappear somewhere towards the top right rear of the glove box so you can’t unplug it?

So to access the other end of the cable to unplug it does that mean removing bits of dash / facia maybe the stereo itself? Or maybe i’m missing something.......

Appreciate any advice if anyone has come across this situation?

Many thanks

Good morning all, read some threads here about the MDI cable but can’t quite figure out to change the cable without pulling the dash to bits

So I want to swap the fitted old iPod style cable with either the usb or new style iPod cable which you can pick up for a few quid. Problem is I can’t see how to disconnect the existing cable to attach the new one.

In other VW’s I look at the MDI port seems to terminate in the glove box so you can simply unplug one cable and attach the other ones. In the Cali the cable just seems to disappear somewhere towards the top right rear of the glove box so you can’t unplug it?

So to access the other end of the cable to unplug it does that mean removing bits of dash / facia maybe the stereo itself? Or maybe i’m missing something.......

Appreciate any advice if anyone has come across this situation?

Many thanks
I use a 30 pin to Lightning adapter, much easier than a cable change. If you decide to do this make sure the adapter is capable of audio transmission, the cheaper ones don't always do audio.

I use a 30 pin to Lightning adapter, much easier than a cable change. If you decide to do this make sure the adapter is capable of audio transmission, the cheaper ones don't always do audio.

Thanks Since posting I spotted a 30 pin apple to Bluetooth adapter, they were designed for fitting to older style iPod docking speakers and as the media interface provides power can’t see why they won’t work

I’m ordering one this morning, I’ll post back with results but if it works it should be fantastic as it will mean I can have my iPhone on the dash for navigation whilst streaming music over Bluetooth through the media interface and I guess phone calls will also route through the stereo as well, win win

Folks will be interested in the outcome, keep us posted.

If you do decide to dig out the original 30-pin cable & swap it to a Lightning cable then it'd be better to use a genuine Apple cable - they're more expensive but I've read of non-genuine cables causing problems with things like CarPlay.

There will be videos on YouTube on how to dismantle the dash & there are car trim specific 'splodger' tools on Amazon & eBay to save carving-up your plastics using the wrong implements.

Folks will be interested in the outcome, keep us posted.

If you do decide to dig out the original 30-pin cable & swap it to a Lightning cable then it'd be better to use a genuine Apple cable - they're more expensive but I've read of non-genuine cables causing problems with things like CarPlay.

There will be videos on YouTube on how to dismantle the dash & there are car trim specific 'splodger' tools on Amazon & eBay to save carving-up your plastics using the wrong implements.

Purchased the 30 pin Bluetooth adapter for the media interface cable, connected and works a treat. Bluetooth streaming of iPhone music library, Spotify, YouTube, Radio app all with the info displayed on the radio head unit and dash display and works from steering wheel controls. Bonus, the audio from Google maps when using for navigation auto mutes the music and plays through the speakers:thumb I'll pop a full review on the forum later today with a link to the unit.

Back