Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to travel light?

Thank goodness - someone else who travels like us! I have taken a few suggestions on board from all you lovely people who have taken the time to reply - take less clothes, take clothes that wash and dry easily, take less shoes, use clothes that can double as smart or casual, only use one bed( we'll see how that goes!), decant things into smaller containers, simplify our holidays( not easy to do as we usually visit relatives for part of it), use the awning for overflow stuff( we may do that if we're staying in one place for any length of time) and otherwise use the toilet tent. Any other suggestions gratefully received!

decant things into smaller containers,

If you're travelling in 'mixed mode' ie some nights camping, some nights with friends or in hotels, don't forget to stash one or two big lightweight carriers/holdalls just for shipping your stuff from van to houses (etc) and back. We use an old IKEA shopping bag that folds to nothing and doubles up for all kinds of things eg collecting firewood.

Otherwise you end up with armfuls of packing cubes, washbags etc and leave a trail of odd shoes etc in car park puddles.

If you're travelling in 'mixed mode' ie some nights camping, some nights with friends or in hotels, don't forget to stash one or two big lightweight carriers/holdalls just for shipping your stuff from van to houses (etc) and back. We use an old IKEA shopping bag that folds to nothing and doubles up for all kinds of things eg collecting firewood.

Otherwise you end up with armfuls of packing cubes, washbags etc and leave a trail of odd shoes etc in car park puddles.

Thanks - that's a great idea that we will use.

We do it by being properly harsh. one big plastic box each for everything. That really makes you pack wisely. Then we have bedding, Cadac and a pee bottle.

We’re just back from a two week break in the Cali, staying in B and Bs and friends houses as well as in the van in caravan sites. We needed smart clothes for going out for meals, clothes and boots for hill walking, cycling gear and more casual wear. We took a Khyam toilet tent and a Porta potti, as well as two lots of bedding and mattress toppers, as we needed a bed each. We could hardly move in the van! Any hints and tips how we can cut down on what we take, but still be comfortable?

We are with two, me and my wife. We take for clothing each a Cabin Luggage size suitcase, separate toiletcase and store them behind the backseat (in a California Ocean) together with (on top) on 2 comfy camping chairs. Furtermore I take one pair of slippers, the wife 3 pair , for myself 2 pair of shoes (hiking and casual/sporting/cycling) my wife 3 or 4 pairs. We store those in the "hanging" closet, together with some other items like a camping gaslight, towels, the wife's handbag and my camera gear. Books and iPad we store in the "overhead bin". Sleeping gear and the side windows blinding folds we store in the drawer under the bench. Toilet paper is stored in the little locker in the back, together with rain clothing (which we needed in Scotland and Norway), and all kind of little stuf (like flashlight batteries) in Ikea baskets which are perfect for that locker and even an extra fleece vest (is always in the Ocean). All other camperstuff like coffee, tea, salt&pepper, cooking and eating gear are permanently stored in the kitchen facilities.
We sleep in the top section and have (nor need for) no matras toppers.
In the lower section of the back all technical gear like power cables, some tools, wheel blocks is stored as well as a bustent/awning, Calicapp and a Cobb (barbecue). A foldable bucket and soap for the doing dishes is stored in between the original VW Cali chairs.
That's about it, and we are ready to go out for at least 4 weeks and clothwise we still (after 8 years) have too much with us...
So less is more, try to decide what you really need (matras toppers??)
regards from the Netherlands

Tip : less is more .
Things you don't use 2-3 trips ....trow them out leave them home.
Wear your shirt 2 days , do a small hand wash to freshen up your cloting.
Only 2 max 3 pair shoes each .
Oh ..and less is more....
I agree. Ditch that mattress topper, I use a self-inflating mattress to give a bit of extra comfort on the hard California lower bed, my wife sleeps up top which is perfectly comfortable for her
Portaloo tent - what’s wrong with the big outdoor when you’re off site? - never had the portaloo on board!
Less is more every time, especially when returning from Europe with cases of wine!

I agree. Ditch that mattress topper, I use a self-inflating mattress to give a bit of extra comfort on the hard California lower bed, my wife sleeps up top which is perfectly comfortable for her
Portaloo tent - what’s wrong with the big outdoor when you’re off site? - never had the portaloo on board!
Less is more every time, especially when returning from Europe with cases of wine!
Did wonder about the self-inflating mattresses - haven't ever used one. Are they comfortable?

We are with two, me and my wife. We take for clothing each a Cabin Luggage size suitcase, separate toiletcase and store them behind the backseat (in a California Ocean) together with (on top) on 2 comfy camping chairs. Furtermore I take one pair of slippers, the wife 3 pair , for myself 2 pair of shoes (hiking and casual/sporting/cycling) my wife 3 or 4 pairs. We store those in the "hanging" closet, together with some other items like a camping gaslight, towels, the wife's handbag and my camera gear. Books and iPad we store in the "overhead bin". Sleeping gear and the side windows blinding folds we store in the drawer under the bench. Toilet paper is stored in the little locker in the back, together with rain clothing (which we needed in Scotland and Norway), and all kind of little stuf (like flashlight batteries) in Ikea baskets which are perfect for that locker and even an extra fleece vest (is always in the Ocean). All other camperstuff like coffee, tea, salt&pepper, cooking and eating gear are permanently stored in the kitchen facilities.
We sleep in the top section and have (nor need for) no matras toppers.
In the lower section of the back all technical gear like power cables, some tools, wheel blocks is stored as well as a bustent/awning, Calicapp and a Cobb (barbecue). A foldable bucket and soap for the doing dishes is stored in between the original VW Cali chairs.
That's about it, and we are ready to go out for at least 4 weeks and clothwise we still (after 8 years) have too much with us...
So less is more, try to decide what you really need (matras toppers??)
regards from the Netherlands
Greatings from Scotland! Sorry you had to use your rain clothing here. Come here in May or September and it might be drier and even lovelier! Thanks for your very extensive list - very helpful. I need a mattress topper even on the top bed - just my body shape I think.

Greatings from Scotland! Sorry you had to use your rain clothing here. Come here in May or September and it might be drier and even lovelier! Thanks for your very extensive list - very helpful. I need a mattress topper even on the top bed - just my body shape I think.
Hi Granny, it is not that we were flushed away in Scotland, just a couple of days rain. We love the country! Stayed on the Isle of Skye 4 nights and had beautiful wether! Also up north we had a very pleasant trip and stay.
And as an original Frisian I can really appreciate the Scottish no nonsense and friendly people! We will be back, thanks for yr tip!

greetings from the tulip country

We’re just back from a two week break in the Cali, staying in B and Bs and friends houses as well as in the van in caravan sites. We needed smart clothes for going out for meals, clothes and boots for hill walking, cycling gear and more casual wear. We took a Khyam toilet tent and a Porta potti, as well as two lots of bedding and mattress toppers, as we needed a bed each. We could hardly move in the van! Any hints and tips how we can cut down on what we take, but still be comfortable?
Roll your clothes up really tightly.

I have no clue what you all are taking with you. In the hiking community I'd say you're even taking the kitchen sink ;)

uocHcA6.jpg

As suggested earlier, keep a list of what you use and don't and tick that off every time and you'll get down to your 'base weight' and what's really needed. Usually people tend to pack for every eventuality because the lack of experience. Keeping that list narrows it down to what you need and what your nice-to-have / comfort items are. Go for multi-use items, that includes clothing.

We have like half of our storage free in the car and we just were away for 11 days straight.
Add four pillows and two quilts/duvets on-top of the bed and that's what our boot storage looks like. That tent in the middle is taking up a ton of space. The cupboard on the left is filled with:
  • Top Shelf, cleaning stuff for the car and clothing pins for hanging wet stuff outside
  • Middle shelf, First Aid Kit and similar things
  • Bottom shelf: 4 "big/normal" towels and swimwear
MX8Ou28.jpg

This is the best picture I could find on hand but as you can see that cupboards inside are also not filled to the brim. Airplane overhead locker, kids clothes and kids furry animals. Seat drawer, our clothes, hairdryer (big), boardgames, pens/papers/drawing books/homework from school, iPad, Nintendo Switch and bathroom items. Basically the big drawer is 50/50 clothes and stuff. Small drawer under the seat is for "everything else" like wet-naps, laundry stuff, and misc items. Wardrobe, you know what goes in there :) Rain jackets, fleece shirts and normal shirts/clothes for "fine dining".

Was about to take pictures with this thread in mind but the Mrs was too fast to empty the car this morning while I was still sleeping. Hope this helps in some way.

We travelled to Keswick via Go Outdoors store in Penrith, where we bought gas cannister and connector for our new Cadac Chef 2 ( haven’t used it yet).

I know this is probably sacrilege on here but - didn't need the Cadac Chef or the cylinder did you? There's some space you could save - you have 2 gas rings in the van!

I know this is probably sacrilege on here but - didn't need the Cadac Chef or the cylinder did you? There's some space you could save - you have 2 gas rings in the van!
We thought it might be nice to have the option of a BBQ now and again. We wouldn't be taking it with us every time. We tried it out at the weekend at home and made lovely gammon steaks with grilled tomatoes. Some people do take it with them because it gives them an extra cannister of Campinggaz in case they run out.

Brandrup seat pockets are very handy, they give you so much extra storage. The seats still turn fine too.
I would also invest in a boot drawer or slide out boot floor.

We roll all our clothes which makes them take up far less space and have cut right down. It is so easy to take too many clothes and carry around clean ones you don't use but its relatively easy to find somewhere to wash them if required.

We use a dry bag as our dirty laundry sack, so it can be sealed to ensure there isn't a used sock aroma in the van.

Generally if we take something on a trip and we come back with it unused it is likely to be gone on the next trip.

The less we take the more comfortable the van is.

yes the cadac and a gas bottle is under there
we use it To grill meat or sausages to stop any splatter in the cali
mind after this weekend we have said we could manage without it
just reheat or cook stuff in pans and if some thing more substantial is reqd buy it out
it has to be said I back pack for the odd night with kids so can carry less
but the van carries the weight so why not

We use packing cubes for clothes, maximum 2 cubes each, they compress the clothes to save space, limit what you take, make it easy to carry from house to Van and easy to find stuff in the van. We also have larger storage bags for bedding, sized to hold 2 pillows and fit perfectly on the rear parcel shelf, also help with moving bedding to the van. Normally we get all bedding in 2 bags but we have a 3rd for an extra Duvet in winter. We have made a couple of mistakes such as buying a large awning which takes up way too much space, and my guilty pleasure is a Cobb Gas bbq which is larger than ideal, but I just love cooking on it. We tend to do ok for space on most trips, any spare space tends to get filled with additional wife’s clothing and bottles of girls stuff!

Did wonder about the self-inflating mattresses - haven't ever used one. Are they comfortable?
Yes if you buy a decent one, I’ve got one that rolls quite small and packs inside it’s attached bag. It does re-inflate slightly. I just like to keep the kit we take to the minimum, we’ve even ditched the levelling chocks!

We use packing cubes for clothes, maximum 2 cubes each, they compress the clothes to save space, limit what you take, make it easy to carry from house to Van and easy to find stuff in the van. We also have larger storage bags for bedding, sized to hold 2 pillows and fit perfectly on the rear parcel shelf, also help with moving bedding to the van. Normally we get all bedding in 2 bags but we have a 3rd for an extra Duvet in winter. We have made a couple of mistakes such as buying a large awning which takes up way too much space, and my guilty pleasure is a Cobb Gas bbq which is larger than ideal, but I just love cooking on it. We tend to do ok for space on most trips, any spare space tends to get filled with additional wife’s clothing and bottles of girls stuff!
I have a charcoal Cobb. Consider it an essential on most trips of 4+ days. I also have a little trangia alcohol burner that I put in the Cobb fuel basket when I want an instant burn and a quick cook (like bacon & egg banjos).

yes the cadac and a gas bottle is under there
we use it To grill meat or sausages to stop any splatter in the cali
mind after this weekend we have said we could manage without it
just reheat or cook stuff in pans and if some thing more substantial is reqd buy it out
it has to be said I back pack for the odd night with kids so can carry less
but the van carries the weight so why not
A great little stove for backpacking is the firebox. It’s small, packs flat and really well made. You can use any type of fuel: Wood, sticks, hex blocks, chafing gel, dry animal dung, charcoal, etc. It’s a simple design that allows for trangia type alcohol or gas burners to be “clipped in”. It’s a bit weightier than its competitors because it’s so robust and well made. It’s very flexible and versatile, especially if you get the extra plates & fire sticks. You can use it with stainless steel water bottles, billy cups & cans as well as any other camping pots/pans.7A3F7E2B-31FE-43AF-B852-9C49AF4FD7CC.jpeg

To share some images about our "packing light" (even the Calitop heckauszug is the light version ;))
The board is now in in highest position as you can see, but the Eurocrats will also work in the lowest. (currently we sleep up). B.T.W. those Himalyan flags I earned because I was higher than the 5000 mtr border, driving a Royal Enfield Bullet a couple of years ago (2014) to the highest pass in the Himalyan, and proud of it :cool:)

45414IMG_0498.jpgIMG_0499.jpgIMG_0500.jpgIMG_0501.jpgIMG_0502.jpgIMG_0503.jpg

Vango folding organiser... one each, under the boot shelf should hold 'all ' the clothes and shoes that you need !

IMG_0835.JPG

Back