Albert I love you! - (version 58)

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So with all the recent negativity,,,,

I have hardly used Albert as a camper this year due to quite difficult family circumstances.

Tomorrow off for 4 days in France, anniversary of the Battle of Arras. So I went out to my roof-rotting, emissions-spewing, engine-failing heap today and started to load up.

The love affair rekindled itself. Just the unpacking and repacking, the changing over of the water, filling the fridge, checking the bedding, loading the sat nav memory, .... the most competent vehicle I have ever owned. My long distance cruiser, my personal hotel room, my comfy bed, my shelter, my security in knowing that wherever I end up and in whatever circumstances then Albert will look after me. He will keep me warm and safe. I will have food, water, clothes, a bed an emergency loo and an impromptu changing room.

Let's get rolling Albert! I love you ..... (and we still have only 14 hours to save the world.......)

So with all the recent negativity,,,,

I have hardly used Albert as a camper this year due to quite difficult family circumstances.

Tomorrow off for 4 days in France, anniversary of the Battle of Arras. So I went out to my roof-rotting, emissions-spewing, engine-failing heap today and started to load up.

The love affair rekindled itself. Just the unpacking and repacking, the changing over of the water, filling the fridge, checking the bedding, loading the sat nav memory, .... the most competent vehicle I have ever owned. My long distance cruiser, my personal hotel room, my comfy bed, my shelter, my security in knowing that wherever I end up and in whatever circumstances then Albert will look after me. He will keep me warm and safe. I will have food, water, clothes, a bed an emergency loo and an impromptu changing room.

Let's get rolling Albert! I love you ..... (and we still have only 14 hours to save the world.......)

Lovely post!

I ignore all the negativity. The Cali is an awesomely amazing vehicle, and like you, I consider mine to be almost my best friend! Makes me smile EVERY time I get in it, whether I’m driving to work, off for a night or two camping, picking the kids up from school or simply sitting in him having a cuppa on my drive.

Very comforting and reassuring, he’s like a second home :)

I have the Dead Man's Penny of a relative killed at Arras in 1917. He's buried at Duisans. I went to the centenary of Loos in 2015, another relative killed and buried there and my grand father was shot in the head but managed to survive. Battle fields and cemeteries of the Great War make fascinating visits.

I hope your trip goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed wholeheartedly. My sanctuary. I am another sitter-outer on the drive person. My house faces the wrong way and on a sunny afternoon/evening I love to sit out in him with the door open and the radio on (my little radio, not the in-car one as I don't want to blast the whole neighbourhood out!) , preferably with a glass of something interesting or a cup of tea, maybe doing a Sudoku ..... my favourite place :)

I have the Dead Man's Penny of a relative killed at Arras in 1917. He's buried at Duisans. I went to the centenary of Loos in 2015, another relative killed and buried there and my grand father was shot in the head but managed to survive. Battle fields and cemeteries of the Great War make fascinating visits.

I hope your trip goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a relative at Loos ... Dud corner.

This is partly a working visit, dusted off by an historical group who need a speaker for an evening. Last time I was in Arras I nipped up to Reckem, Belgium, to do a bit of shopping for my sister and on the way back found flashing blue lights both in front and behind me hauling me off the autoroute. Customs. Spent 40 minutes searching Albert for, presumably, smuggled cigarettes. Pretty futile in my case!

So glad I'm not the only one retreating into the 'van on the drive! I escape from the kids for a few minutes peace! (Along with a glass.....)

I do it all the time! The peace and quiet is lovely.

Agreed wholeheartedly. My sanctuary. I am another sitter-outer on the drive person. My house faces the wrong way and on a sunny afternoon/evening I love to sit out in him with the door open and the radio on (my little radio, not the in-car one as I don't want to blast the whole neighbourhood out!) , preferably with a glass of something interesting or a cup of tea, maybe doing a Sudoku ..... my favourite place :)

Me too! When it's sunny I sit sideways in the open door... My neighbour came up the other week and found me sitting, glass of beer beside me, face turned to the sun with eyes shut, iPad in hand. Gave me the fright of my life. Not sure she understood why I was there rather than in my perfectly nice back garden. Peace....

I am now parked in my own private "aire".​

The car park of a large hotel in Arras :happy

I have use of the hotel WiFi, hotel facilities and a room to change into my posh frock for tomorrow night's dinner and after dinner talk.

As usual I am getting asked why I don't just take a room at the hotel? My answer, as always, why would I want an overheated bedroom sleeping in someone else's bed with no coffee making facilities and the noise of doors banging, television playing and people walking past when my corner of the car park is blissfully quiet, I'm not worried about having to leave my room, can make a drink when I want to and sleep in my own bed with my own bedding?

Vive la liberte:D

Last edited:
Me too! When it's sunny I sit sideways in the open door... My neighbour came up the other week and found me sitting, glass of beer beside me, face turned to the sun with eyes shut, iPad in hand. Gave me the fright of my life. Not sure she understood why I was there rather than in my perfectly nice back garden. Peace....
Yup. I get it. Our next door neighbours have got two yappy dogs who turn themselves inside out every time anyone walks along the path at the back or when I open our back door, got to bins etc etc. Much nicer out the front in The Hamster. I don't really care if people think I'm weird. I think they're weirder.

We smile whenever we look at Cali. We've had her less than a month but have had two weekends away, plenty of day trips and last night she was Steve's overnight accommodation when he was on a two day course in Cornwall. Fabulous!

Back