Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

how weatherproof is the pop up roof?

J

jeannie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Hi,

I have been reading through the threads and see some of you have purchased 'extra' protection for the pop up roof.

Hopefully picking up my first California very soon and wondered what experience you have had with regards the elevating roof of heavy rain, for example, as we have been having for some time now.

In particular
does it keep dry inside, if you dont open the zippers, of course.
how to you deal with putting the roof down when it has been raining for a long time, does it keep the upper mattress dry?

I realise that it would be better to wait til it dries out, but that is not going to be possible a the moment in UK is it.

all advice gratefully received,

thanks, jeannie

We slept through some horrendous storms in France recently and also some quite heavy weather in the New Forest, all without the need for anything wrapped around the roof or getting wet inside.

If you have to close it wet then the same applies as putting a tent away wet, open it and allow it to dry at the earliest opportunity. They do dry quite quickly.

I can see that some of these items may have insulating properties but we've not had the need for that yet.

Many thanks Stu, that is reassuring to hear.

I am hoping to get away with not spending too much extra on it at the moment until I get over the initial outlay!!!

Jeannie

The trick as in tents is not to push something up against the canvas when it's wet, as the water will transfer across. Camped out in storm recently with torrential rain for a constant 12 hours and unusually the only bit that got drenched was the lower bit of canvas at the rear. Must have been the angle of the rain. It wouldn't have been too much of a problem except my 6 yr old squashed his pillow up into that bit and it got a bit damp.
Andy

Just back from our first trip with our new Cali. I had the same concerns. Pop up got well sodden twice in the Black Forest and was put away wet on both occasions.

Just got home today and put the top up to find it was nearly dry despite two days packed away. No sign of water ingress. dry within the hour. :thumb

I bought a Vanorak for an end -of-October trip to York last year, It wasn't cold but it was quite windy, so I was grateful for it affording some protection to the roof canvas. In the manual it says the roof should be lowered in the event of high winds and storms, not much good if your children, like mine, are up there asleep at the time!
It really helped keep the heat in during sub-zero nights in Denmark at Easter (although we did have the heating on low all night) and we don't have to worry about putting the roof away wet.
It's not cheap but I noticed that Khyam make their own version now too...

We had an appalling storm in the Auvergne a couple of days ago and the rear end of the awning became wet inside, first time I've noticed any moisture inside. It dried out quite quickly the following morning. I think this is unusual as the roof had stood up to other heavy rain here and in France.

Hi Jeannie,
Before our new one We had our Westie Cali for 9 years in all sorts of weather, especially in France and Spain and we never had a leak. It's just like a tent as someone said. If you don't touch in it should be fine.
Folding down I don't know about the bed getting damp as we had removed our upper bed but in my experience the canvas rarely gets wet, perhaps a bit damp. And, like a tent open it up as soon as you get home to dry out. Even if it is wet at home open it anyway.
We have never needed (and don't have now) any of these Vanaraks or covers, they just look like hard work to me, plus expensive

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It may be obvious (but it wasn't to me) - but if it's blowing up windy and you intend to use the upstairs then it's best to make sure you're parked squarely back-end to the wind.

Otherwise you can end up moving downstairs at 3am when you finally give up trying to sleep through the flapping canvas sound effects.

On the subject of folding down the roof when wet I use a bright orange "Emergency Bag" that you can buy from any walking/mountain shop. They are pretty much the width and most of the length of the upper bed when laid flat on top of the matress. It's only a stop gap though when we have to move on with a damp roof to stop the matress absorbing anything. It's taken out as soon as the roof goes back up.

I suppose you could cut a cheap piece of polythene sheet but as we are often up in the mountains anyway there always seems to be one of these in our rucksacks.

Lee

Thank you to all who have taken the time to let me in on their experiences with weather conditions. Hopefully I will remember all the tips when the time comes. Jeannie

I was a bit worried too - looked at the options and most seemed to be a right faff and don't facilitate roof bars.

So we went for the ÂŁ160 Pucer - goes around the canvas (not over the top) and recently shone in force 9+ winds and horrendous rain. The kids slept upstairs without a murmur! Keeps the canvas dry and adds some insulation too. Stores in a smallish bag and takes about 2 mins to put on.

P1010814.jpg

The creases have all bit fallen out now!

I will differ slightly from the above posts jeannie.
During a rough nights weather at sennen last year we found the rain was finding its way in. Our duvet was damp and water was pooling inside not to mention the fine rain "mist" coming in through the two vents in the side of the roof.
We bought a vanorak and its been excellent - not least because it takes away the worry that may cause sleepless nights.
Not an essential purchase to start with perhaps, more one of those "see how you go" things.

Freeley said:
I will differ slightly from the above posts jeannie.
During a rough nights weather at sennen last year we found the rain was finding its way in. Our duvet was damp and water was pooling inside not to mention the fine rain "mist" coming in through the two vents in the side of the roof.
We bought a Vanarak and its been excellent - not least because it takes away the worry that may cause sleepless nights.
Not an essential purchase to start with perhaps, more one of those "see how you go" things.

As a matter of interest did you own your van from new or is it possible that someone has applied after market canvas sealant?

Just curious. :thumb

Stu

We had a similar issue when we hired a Cali, which was only six months old, prior to our purchase. In some ways it was the best thing for us because we saw how the Cali performs in the driving rain and not in the good weather I am sure we will see again at some point.

Anywhooooo

We did have so much rain that it started to drip down the inside. It was a LOT of rain though and I was glad I was not in a tent. What did amaze me was how quickly it dried once the rain stopped and the sun came out. We did buy a Vanorack as I prefered the idea of windows to the Purcer but I may invest in that too at some point. Maybe after a meet when I can get a good look at how they are fitted.

Ours was ex demo from our local vw dealer with about 1400 on the clock.
Why do you ask stu does applying sealer make it worse?

I'd need to check but I've read somewhere, possibly in the manual, that you shouldn't apply any sealers.

I think the material is designed to breathable which is probably why when you touch it water does come through.

You are right Stu... It does say in the mannual not to apply weatherproofing. I do wonder why the roof is not made of a Goretex type material which is both waterproof and breathable but I'm sure there are good reasons. Thinking about it I not sure if Gore likes being folded the same way over and over.

I hired one a couple of weeks ago through all the hideous weather we've been having. 3 days of continual rain day and night - I'm afraid that even after careful parking the canvas was damp right the way around on the inside and so was all our bedding. It didn't take long to dry out on the first sunny day but I was quite surprised at the amount of water inside.

Have had our Cali for 5 years now and only once had damp problems...hideously wet vertical rain all day at Rosemarkie(it was our first trip and we didn't realize that the rain would eventually find a way in) - in really severe heavy rain/wind take the top down during the day I agree with the tent idea, we always raise our roof to air and dry out after a trip. Have just returned from the Dordogne where we had some very heavy rain storms, we did not take the roof down and we had no problems.