Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the roof Rain Proof in T6.1?

We went to the new forest for the weekend or so we thought. First time the roof has seen rain, I’ve tried to attach a video with no joy but here’s a screen shot of me wringing the towel out after 30 minutes
It wasn’t even raining or blowing that hard, we got soaked and returned home the same day
View attachment 111339View attachment 111339
Bellows update
After speaking with SMG Tonbridge who were very understanding and helpful
They are installing new bellows next Wednesday

Looking forward to some followup reports after the new bellows are installed.

Bellows update
Bellows update
Happy you’re getting it sorted.

Bellows update
We went to the new forest for the weekend or so we thought. First time the roof has seen rain, I’ve tried to attach a video with no joy but here’s a screen shot of me wringing the towel out after 30 minutes
It wasn’t even raining or blowing that hard, we got soaked and returned home the same day
View attachment 111339View attachment 111339
Sorry to see you’ve had this issue, but pleased to read in a later post it’s being resolved.

For anyone else with the same issue with their Cali with the new bellows (late 2022 ish onwards) have a look at the post here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/2023-ocean-leaking-roof-fabric.49408/

Was also in the new forest last week, the rain on Friday was torrential and did think about coming home early it stayed on, where strong winds followed the rain. I have a My23 Cali, but the old style canvas and no noticeable leaks through the canvas material, thought I was missing out not getting the new canvas but having seen some of the leaks people are experiencing, perhaps glad I now have the old style, would complain to the dealer about it as others have commented that there seems to be issues with early MY23 new style canvas. However I do appear to have a small leak around the rear of the van, not sure if canvas or boot seal is the cause, need to further investigat.

Apart from the weather the New Forest is a great place, which site were you at.
Where do you see the water droplets? Something like this?View attachment 111374

My research points to rear tailgate/body seal. Some users have fixed the problem to by installing a secondary rubber seal to close the gap at the roof. Also keeps leaves etc out of the channel. No problems after the mod.

Argh not only do we have leaky bellows at the front, we also have this leak at the back! At first I thought it may be linked to the bike rack as the leaks were near where it joins, but it doesn’t look like you have a bike rack…

It’s definitely not condensation.

IMG_2412.jpegIMG_2413.jpeg

Argh not only do we have leaky bellows at the front, we also have this leak at the back! At first I thought it may be linked to the bike rack as the leaks were near where it joins, but it doesn’t look like you have a bike rack…

It’s definitely not condensation.

View attachment 111502View attachment 111504
Correct on both counts. No bike rack and its not condensation. Seems related to water collecting in the tailgate seal and passing through. Not related to debris or leaf litter in the channel either.

Correct on both counts. No bike rack and its not condensation. Seems related to water collecting in the tailgate seal and passing through. Not related to debris or leaf litter in the channel either.
What a load of rubbish! So disappointing. I wasn’t expecting perfection, but I was expecting a vehicle that didn’t leak :(

Bellows update
The continuing story
And advice welcome
So much for the new bellows being fitted tomorrow, 26/7/23
The dealer tells me there are no bellows in the UK or Germany
We are due to do a six week trip to Norway in three weeks time and tbh Norway is not one of the driest countries
I’ve called customer service who had no answer
I’ve thought about a bellows wrap but what a pain if you’re touring day to day
The only thing I’m thinking is to cancel my dream holiday and loose two ferry and euro tunnel fares
Any suggestions please

The continuing story
And advice welcome
We are due to do a six week trip to Norway in three weeks time and tbh Norway is not one of the driest countries
The only thing I’m thinking is to cancel my dream holiday and loose two ferry and euro tunnel fares
Any suggestions please
Don't cancel, just get a wrap. Easy to put on in less than 5 mins and off in 2

The continuing story
And advice welcome
Any suggestions please
Cancel a dream Cali trip or spend an extra 10 minutes a day putting a wrap on and off?

I am tempted as a stop gap to just get some waterproof tarp, cut it same height as the front and wider by 20cm, pop a few eyelets in it and some elastic bungees and bungee it in place over the front if bad weather is forecast. Like a sort of partial wrap. It’s thin so won’t take up much space and will be easy to dry if needed.

I am tempted as a stop gap to just get some waterproof tarp, cut it same height as the front and wider by 20cm, pop a few eyelets in it and some elastic bungees and bungee it in place over the front if bad weather is forecast. Like a sort of partial wrap. It’s thin so won’t take up much space and will be easy to dry if needed.
Like you’re thinking

Like you’re thinking
Your first issue was time - this would take the same.

Your second issue was space - the above light, and there are plenty of thin wraps too.

Either way even the Rainbow one laid flat is not too bad, but I will admit massive when rolled up.

You’re the only one that can decide but to “cancel a dream holiday“, if that is what you would really do, is just cheating yourself of life and experiences.

Cali is about adventures. Go and have one, even if it’s wet.

The continuing story
And advice welcome
Any suggestions please
In your shoes I wouldn’t cancel the trip, but organise the van so the lower bed can be used if it rains heavily, and use the top bed in good weather. And if looking for some all weather extra space, use a side tarp attached to the side awning - such as an Outwell Fallcrest.

Takes up too much valuable room
Don't know which wrap your thinking of, mine slides into one of the seats in the tailgate. But rarely used and never in Norway.

Try aPucer screen, worth having anyway. Easy to put on and relatively small to put away. He's on here somewhere.

Cpmfort
Don't know which wrap your thinking of, mine slides into one of the seats in the tailgate. But rarely used and never in Norway.
Comfortz Cali-Wrap takes up as much space as an awning , so some are big !

Cpmfort
Comfortz Cali-Wrap takes up as much space as an awning , so some are big !
I have a Comfortz roof topper and it slides into one of the chairs in the tailgate.

In your shoes I wouldn’t cancel the trip, but organise the van so the lower bed can be used if it rains heavily, and use the top bed in good weather. And if looking for some all weather extra space, use a side tarp attached to the side awning - such as an Outwell Fallcrest.
Hi hawthorn, sleeping is not the problem, if it were to rain while asleep downstairs you would struggle to drive the following day due to the seats being soaked, I recon in moderate rain without wind it leaks almost a gallon per hour

I have a Comfortz roof topper and it slides into one of the chairs in the tailgate.
I think the older version (which I had) was made with a heavier gauge material and was too bulky to get into the tailgate, with the chairs.

Hi hawthorn, sleeping is not the problem, if it were to rain while asleep downstairs you would struggle to drive the following day due to the seats being soaked, I recon in moderate rain without wind it leaks almost a gallon per hour
Sorry Ken, what I meant was to sleep with the top down. We do that if it’s blowing hard. Did you get your rusty arm sorted btw?

Sorry Ken, what I meant was to sleep with the top down. We do that if it’s blowing hard. Did you get your rusty arm sorted btw?
Will do that Hawthorn, Smg tonbridge we’re great with the rusty arm, replaced with no problem, interesting new poll on the forum regarding bellows, sent video to Smg who told me how bad ours was, gonna be interesting if replaced with the same or the old type, I must say I prefer the lighter inside of the new type

Yep! We left the panoramic window unzipped about a third of the way and we came in to find a small pool of water resting under the window and sitting in the folded down fabric of the window. Admittedly the rain was driving in that direction.
Also the front window is not vertical, so it's not protected by the overhang of the roof even in straight-down rain - we never leave it open at night just in case.

Back