Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Batten

C

ChrisWendy

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hello

We have been offered a 2008 California to buy, however there are 2 issues. One is the roof batten in the bellows has snapped and has split the outside material. How difficult/expensive is it to repair?
Second question is the diesel heater does not work, it blows cold air but does not seem to get warm.

Any hints or tips gratefully received, thank you

Wendy

Hi and welcome , there are lots of things that can cause the failiure of the aux heater , not using it for long periode for example is not good .
Read some existing threads about this (using search ) on the forum and you find lots of info ....

What do you mean by "roof batten" ? I'm not from the UK so could be lost in translation.
A new roof canvas is at least 500-600€ i've been quoted here on the mainland

Regarding the aux heater:
You say it blows cold air only, how long was it left running for ?

It can take a few minutes to start to produce heat,
Whilst the heater is running:
you should be able to hear a low rumble from outside the van ?
Inside the van you can hear a quite ticking every so often?
The exhaust has a distinctive smell whilst in use?

The fuel level in the diesel tank should be above quarter of a tank when using the heater?

Was the heat setting set to high ?

No answers I know but questions to try and determine the issue!

As far as I know the battens are simple plastic strips, so fabricating a new one wouldn't be too hard. Then it's just a case of stitching it into its pocket. Depending on the nature of the tear in the that could possibly be stitched or patched?

The diesel heater ought to be serviceable, so I would try getting advice from an Eberspacher dealer.