Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hydraulic leak causing roof to fail

V

Vinnievan

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all,

Firstly I hope everyone is enjoying a lovely summer.
I know this issue has been covered in various posts over the years, but I will share my experience of the issue so far and through the journey of the inevitable diagnosis and repair.

Shirt background, I bought our 2015 SE T5.1 cali a year ago direct from VW. Soon after buying it it had to go back to the dealership for the rusty roof repair, this interrupted our holiday plans last year. Fast forward exactly a year and we have come away on holiday in the van. After setting up, I tried to lower the roof. Immediately I heard a hissing noise from drivers side just by the high handle in the roof lining. It was clear there was a hydraulic leak as I could hear the noise when trying to lower and soon after this there was a visible fluid leak coming though the lining by the driver sun visor and then down the driver wheel arch. Knowing that this isn’t an issue that will resolve itself I had to go through the process of taking the control unit out and lowering via the screw. I had to source a ratchet strap a VW didn’t supply the emergency tie down straps when I purchased. I have seen helpful photos of where to cut the foam in another thread and am very grateful for these.
After adapting our sleeping arrangements (using awning) so that we can continue our 10 day holiday we are grateful that the van is still drivable and will be booking it in to the dealership where I bought it from and where the roof repairs were undertaken.
I have seen the potential correlation between the roof repair works and roof issues happening after this, and am inclined towards that as a possible cause. But will wait to find out what it is. To me, it sounds one of the hydraulic hoses/seal is snagged/loose or perforated.
For now we will continue our holiday but will see what happens with VW.
Any useful advice will be much appreciated.

Wishing you all a happy summer.

Sorry to hear of your roof issue but glad you are still able to enjoy your holiday. Have fun and please update us once the workshop has looked at it.

Just tried to open our roof this morning and it made a loud bang in the heat, I guess where the weather seal had got hot.

When the roof was half way up it stopped elevating and would not come back down again!

I have subsequently smelt something different only to find oil dripping down the outside of the a pillar. Come to think of it, there has been something sticky around here for a while so maybe it’s been leaking for a while. I thought it was tree sap!

I’m in the same boat as you, I need to lower the roof manually to continue our summer trip.

I’ve got a horrible feeling this is going to be one really big bill later in the summer!

All the best with yours.

Andrew.

0DEC03F8-D2F0-4BD7-B631-4271410D6AC3.jpeg

Hi all,

I know this issue has been covered in various posts over the years, but I will share my experience of the issue so far and through the journey of the inevitable diagnosis and repair.

Shirt background, I bought our 2015 SE T5.1 cali a year ago direct from VW. Soon after buying it it had to go back to the dealership for the rusty roof repair, this interrupted our holiday plans last year. Fast forward exactly a year and we have come away on holiday in the van. After setting up, I tried to lower the roof. Immediately I heard a hissing noise from drivers side just by the high handle in the roof lining. It was clear there was a hydraulic leak as I could hear the noise when trying to lower and soon after this there was a visible fluid leak coming though the lining by the driver sun visor and then down the driver wheel arch. Knowing that this isn’t an issue that will resolve itself I had to go through the process of taking the control unit out and lowering via the screw. I had to source a ratchet strap a VW didn’t supply the emergency tie down straps when I purchased. I have seen helpful photos of where to cut the foam in another thread and am very grateful for these.
After adapting our sleeping arrangements (using awning) so that we can continue our 10 day holiday we are grateful that the van is still drivable and will be booking it in to the dealership where I bought it from and where the roof repairs were undertaken.
I have seen the potential correlation between the roof repair works and roof issues happening after this, and am inclined towards that as a possible cause. But will wait to find out what it is. To me, it sounds one of the hydraulic hoses/seal is snagged/loose or perforated.

That's a bummer when it happens when on a holiday.

I will wait for the experts on here to advise ... see if the below will work

A question first - is it that the mechanism does not work anymore at all? my solution is a bodge job, but should enable you to continue on your journey without much issues around usage until you get it fixed.

Now that you have lowered it after loosening the screw, rather than tighten the screw back, leave it loose. That will allow the liquid to flow around in the system without pressurising it. Get to any hardware store, get a 2x2 piece of wood and cut it to length to hold the roof up when open. the roof then becomes a semi-manual roof that you can open and use when parked up ,... and anyways you will have the ratchet strap to hold it down.

If you are holidaying anywhere nearby, you can borrow the roof tie down strap - if it helps.

Hi all,

Wishing you all a happy summe
Hi all,

sorry to hear about recent roof issues, I have been there and know how frustrating it is. If it is any help to anyone with a basic pipe leak I successfully used a pipe repair kit and some more oil from TPS. You may need to double check the pipe diameters which I think are marked on the pipe. In some cases this might be far easier than trying to replace a complete length of hose. Good luck

Just tried to open our roof this morning and it made a loud bang in the heat, I guess where the weather seal had got hot.

When the roof was half way up it stopped elevating and would not come back down again!

I have subsequently smelt something different only to find oil dripping down the outside of the a pillar. Come to think of it, there has been something sticky around here for a while so maybe it’s been leaking for a while. I thought it was tree sap!

I’m in the same boat as you, I need to lower the roof manually to continue our summer trip.

I’ve got a horrible feeling this is going to be one really big bill later in the summer!

All the best with yours.

Andrew.

View attachment 97675
Hi Andrew, sorry to hear you’re in the same boat. Have you managed to lower your roof manually now? Hope you can still enjoy your holiday?

That's a bummer when it happens when on a holiday.

I will wait for the experts on here to advise ... see if the below will work

A question first - is it that the mechanism does not work anymore at all? my solution is a bodge job, but should enable you to continue on your journey without much issues around usage until you get it fixed.

Now that you have lowered it after loosening the screw, rather than tighten the screw back, leave it loose. That will allow the liquid to flow around in the system without pressurising it. Get to any hardware store, get a 2x2 piece of wood and cut it to length to hold the roof up when open. the roof then becomes a semi-manual roof that you can open and use when parked up ,... and anyways you will have the ratchet strap to hold it down.

If you are holidaying anywhere nearby, you can borrow the roof tie down strap - if it helps.
Morning, thanks so much for the kind offer of borrowing the straps. I’ve managed to ratchet strap it so that should hold until I get it to the dealership; earliest they can get us in is 31st aug so I should find out more then.
The mechanism doesn’t work at all although when I was trying to lower it using the control panel the pump did sound like it was trying to work but I am guessing it couldn’t as the leak had caused the pressure to drop.
I didn’t think about using a piece of wood to prop the roof up, that’s a great idea. I’ve got an air bed and am in the awning at present which seems to be a work around.

sorry to hear about recent roof issues, I have been there and know how frustrating it is. If it is any help to anyone with a basic pipe leak I successfully used a pipe repair kit and some more oil from TPS. You may need to double check the pipe diameters which I think are marked on the pipe. In some cases this might be far easier than trying to replace a complete length of hose. Good luck

Wow, this is good to hear. I am really hoping it is just a basic pipe leak as this sounds like it would be the ideal solution. Was this easy to access and do yourself?

We have just got our Cali back from Kernow Transpirters for a full hydraulic pipe replacement and new oil. Can’t recommend him highly enough, do give me a shout if you want more details about the A* service he provided.

Thanks.

Andrew.

Back