Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I done messed up.

Exploding glass is a relatively common phenomenon. I once had a glass coffee table explode in the middle of the night.

Don’t blame yourself.
Exactly... we had a large dining table explode fortunately we were out, the glass was everywhere bookcase, shoes, kitchen, sofa what a mess.
I won’t have anything with a glass top, if had a T5/6 I would replace the kitchen top with a nice piece of alloy, vinyl won’t help unless it’s adhesive.

Although having been a victim of exploding glass worktops, l think it's a good idea. Let's the light through when folded up, easy to wipe down, and looks stylish.
Perhaps maybe not as strong as it needs to be. When you think of demands put on glass in construction, or in induction hob tops. Perhaps laminated glass might be better? but then there is always the weight issue. Failure still seems to be a rare occurrence though.
Another thing you have to be careful of though, is it getting scratched by placing mugs on the top with sharp bits on their bottom. We caused minor scratches like that previously, but now being aware of it, always place a beer mat under a mug.

Yes There have been a number of instances. Ours was the one mentioned. I was asleep in bed next to it. Fortunately the sleeping bag took most of the shards. VW wouldn’t cough up at all despite still being in warranty. Of course it was night 1 of a 3 week trip. Kindly campers with copious gaffer tape meant we could still use the fridge.

Interestingly VW are not the only ones who take the wotsit for repairs. Indicator light bulb floating around in my Smart Car. Mercedes Benz and Halfords both wanted the car for a whole day and wanted to remove the whole front of the car costing several hundred pounds. Fortunately I’m not that stupid! Took me 5 minutes with my neighbour who wouldn’t even take money for a beer!

Our T5 conversion had a side window blow out when parked overnight. Rapid temperature change from frosty to full sun. Glass all over the drive.

The joy of conversions meant it was only about £150 to buy a replacement, around an hour to prep and fix and an upgrade to a window with an opening rather than just full glass.

The part has been ordered and will arrive on Tuesday, I’ve said I’ll fit it myself as I’m now very familiar with how it all works. Luckily it was under 500chf... The guy at the garage said he’d never seen it happen before and wouldn’t have expected it based on what I did. He said he would have warrantied it had the car still been covered. As my job is in the warranty department anyway, I’m fairly familiar with terms and how companies will wriggle out of anything possible!

You probably allready know this but I found out the hard way that it's really easy to strip the thread where the hinges fix to the thin metal at the back of the cooker.

I did the same with a Fendt rear window. Pushed a sprayer right through- it was spectacular. Glass everywhere. Got it all out with a hand held Dyson and sticky tape to get the little bits really stuck.

You probably allready know this but I found out the hard way that it's really easy to strip the thread where the hinges fix to the thin metal at the back of the cooker.
I noticed when removing the hinges that the aluminium tapped threads would be fragile. Especially on the fridge side where getting an allen key under the gasket to try and get the bolt in straight was not the easiest job.

Back