Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I most regret buying ..........

Some things get used more than others but are useful when they are used under the right circumstances. So my contender for the item that "I most regret buying" would have to be useless in all scenarios.

I therefore nominate:

View attachment 63744
OMG I brought this “useful / useless” item - Hubby now has a scar on his knee where he somehow knocked it off getting toast off - short time it was on skin but blistered really bad. :((

Slide pod because once is it in the boot you have virtually no storage and you have to cook with the boot open regardless of weather. Replaced with a £15 camping stove from Halfords and a jerry can of water. Only bought it because I heard that some places don't accept you as a camper van without a fitted kitchen. Even the bloke who bought it off me for a massive discount and was delighted said "oh where am I going to put my fridge?"

VW 'Comfort' mattress = Horribly uncomfortable! I took out the original bed support and made my own. Shortened the bed to give more room for the night loo. Custom made mattress (Super comfy) and I can also access the rear cargo area from inside the vehicle

Comfortz pop up cover (for use with roof bars) Does the job but awkward for 1 person to fit (particularly when using a roof box)..

Some things get used more than others but are useful when they are used under the right circumstances. So my contender for the item that "I most regret buying" would have to be useless in all scenarios.

I therefore nominate:

View attachment 63744

Someone bought us one of these for toasting- I love the toast it makes. It gets a lovely crisp on the outside and is soft in the middle. Only thing is that if you take your eyes off it for a moment it burns quickly.

F0232135-C8C7-4DFE-8EF8-D9760FFCEFB6.jpeg

Inka waterproof covers back and front seats. Baggy on the front seats, very thin retaining tube keeps pulling out from between the seat base and the seat back. The rear seat cover is so tight it keeps pulling off the base when putting into ‘bed mode’. Also the Velcro attachments at the rear of the back seat are out of alignment and don’t meet. Very disappointing for £120. Would not recommend. Very pissed off!
I have the Inka covers and think they are good value for the money. Yes the Velcro tabs could be a bit better but they do the job .
I’m afraid if you want something better you will need to spend hundreds of pounds on them, which I wasn’t prepared to do.

Someone bought us one of these for toasting- I love the toast it makes. It gets a lovely crisp on the outside and is soft in the middle. Only thing is that if you take your eyes off it for a moment it burns quickly.

View attachment 63760
Sorry, this one gets a second place to @Borris toaster, had both and now use a Ridgemonkey, does 2 slices at a time and doesn’t dry the bread out and it is difficult to burn the toast!

when we got our beach we took the advice off the forum and bought very little until we had used it a bit, we had a lot of camping stuff anyway. We don't really regret buying anything, the ink covers aren't a great fit but as we spend a lot of time up muddy mountains in the wet or covered in sea water they have been a brilliant, in fact we have never taken them off. we dont use the awning tie downs a lot but its good to have incase wee need shelter and its a bit blowy, the external topper is great, takes very little effort to put on and we use if for snow and rain nights - keeps us dry, warm and dark. We dont have anywhere to dry the roof otherwise. I suppose the one thing we haven't had to use is the polarity tester when in Europe- but who knows in the future.....

I have the Inka covers and think they are good value for the money. Yes the Velcro tabs could be a bit better but they do the job .
I’m afraid if you want something better you will need to spend hundreds of pounds on them, which I wasn’t prepared to do.
I would agree if you want something a bit plusher you have to pay for it. If you buy a product which is specifically for a certain model, then whatever price group it falls into the product should fit that particular model. I bought waterproof covers for the front seats of a VW transporter from VW about 10yrs ago (which somebody on here said was Inka). The quality and fit was far superior.

Top regrettable buy is a ‘big’ porta potti. It was going cheap (unused!) but it’s too big. I should have paid more and bought the smaller potti!

Second most - I bought the topper for the outside of the roof tent. I just can’t be bothered to use it. We have the inner expensive topper which is brilliant. I didn’t need a second, pain-in-the-bum-to-use topper.

Such is life.
Treading water until retirement!! Mmmmh! That's a shame.

Yes the RidgeMonkey makes brilliant toast with no mess, depending how you like your toast cooked it can be ready in under 2 minutes. RidgeMonkey is by far our best gadget , we even rooked pizza slices on it last night.

Never could understand why people buy shelves for the wardrobe. It's a wardrobe! Use wire coat hangers and you can get masses of clothes in there.
100% agree, my favourite thing in the van, hubby’s clothes are in a bag in the boot

VW 'Comfort' mattress = Horribly uncomfortable! I took out the original bed support and made my own. Shortened the bed to give more room for the night loo. Custom made mattress (Super comfy) and I can also access the rear cargo area from inside the vehicle

Comfortz pop up cover (for use with roof bars) Does the job but awkward for 1 person to fit (particularly when using a roof box)..
Could you post some pics, Chris? I like the idea of this.

For us it would have to be the set of remote controlled variable colour LED lights we had made and put up inside the Cali. (There’s a video on YouTube where someone else did this to their Cali). Have to say the novelty wore off pretty quick as some of the colour choices caused short term issues with our eyesight when we went outside the van and one colour made us all feel nauseous. Really like the standard VW lighting setup in the T6 especially lights around the kitchen unit and won’t be adding to the internal light set-up this time around.

Inka seat covers work well for us with no fitting issues and they stay in place at a bargaintastic price of £59.99 for a new complete set in sand colour. They wash well, fit relatively easily and are air bag compliant, what more could you want!

For us it would have to be the set of remote controlled variable colour LED lights we had made and put up inside the Cali. (There’s a video on YouTube where someone else did this to their Cali). Have to say the novelty wore off pretty quick as some of the colour choices caused short term issues with our eyesight when we went outside the van and one colour made us all feel nauseous. Really like the standard VW lighting setup in the T6 especially lights around the kitchen unit and won’t be adding to the internal light set-up this time around.

Inka seat covers work well for us with no fitting issues and they stay in place at a bargaintastic price of £59.99 for a new complete set in sand colour. They wash well, fit relatively easily and are air bag compliant, what more could you want!
We got a plain white led strip that fits under the roro awning. It's dimmable and remote controlled. It's really good.

We got a plain white led strip that fits under the roro awning. It's dimmable and remote controlled. It's really good.

A plain soft white would be lovely we should have gone with that option.

These:
1596358241902.png
Fell off after 200miles scratching the paintwork ...

Just use the sticky on beam flippers!

I keep thinking I should get some wind deflectors, but never got around to it. Mainly because I couldn't make up my mind which ones to get. Having read your very negative appraisal all of them, I'm glad I haven't made a purchase.
...and yet I love mine! They are most useful when parked and both Windows are just lowered a little, letting some fresh air in but not the rain. I always have the windows open at night. I rarely have the windows open when driving as I rely on the aircon to do its work; very little extra noise whilst driving.

These:
View attachment 63811
Fell off after 200miles scratching the paintwork ...

Just use the sticky on beam flippers!
That’s odd - we fit ours when travelling overseas and remove them on our return. We have never had a problem with them falling off and have driven through Holland, Belgium and down into Germany on a few occasions. Sorry you had bad luck with them. Anyone else had any issues?

That’s odd - we fit ours when travelling overseas and remove them on our return. We have never had a problem with them falling off and have driven through Holland, Belgium and down into Germany on a few occasions. Sorry you had bad luck with them. Anyone else had any issues?
No. Not even on a 7000 mile trip to Nordkapp and there are some rough roads in Norway.

Same here, our protectors go on with the permanently attached bit of gaffer tape every time we go abroad, reckon they have been on & off at least 3 times a year X 6 years & have done 25k + abroad with them on.

Had them on my van from new. First thing I bought, never had a single issue.
Had deflectors on all my vans over the last twenty years and never experienced an issue.
The poster above must’ve had cheap ones or fitted them incorrectly...

Back