Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ID Cali on its way

Recently purchased a Skoda Enyaq 60.
Most of my journey's are under 60 mile, so no problem with range.
Its a great car, spacious and super smooth to drive.
Manufacturer range is 233 miles however despite ordering with the heat pump option which is ment to improve optimal range in cold weather the true range never exceeds 170/180 miles.
Home charging is fine, finding a convenient charge point on longer journeys can be problematic.
Recent 300 mile round trip involved two motorway charges at Corley service, due to lack of charger availability closer to destination.
Each charge being 30 minutes, the return journey found all 6 charges busy and involved a additional wait.
There are many single point chargers but these often involve a wait if being used.
Love the car, but charging on longer journeys is to much of a faff and just adds stress to the journey.
Can't imagine wanting to go on holiday with my van under such circumstances.
Another problem would be pay load, with the size of battery needed to give a minimum of 400 miles most campers/ motorhomes would struggle.

Another problem would be pay load, with the size of battery needed to give a minimum of 400 miles most campers/ motorhomes would struggle.
Why is a 400mile range needed. You are just carrying unnecessary weight .
250-300 mile range with quick (20min) charging points should work for most people.

Why is a 400mile range needed. You are just carrying unnecessary weight .
250-300 mile range with quick (20min) charging points should work for most people.
In order to get a Real World driving range of 250 miles on one charge, with radio, satnav, heater, wipers and lights on then you would need a Manufacturers Vehicle driving range of 400 miles as a minimum, especially as in order to look after the battery long-term you shouldn't run it below 20% capacity.

Recently purchased a Skoda Enyaq 60.
Most of my journey's are under 60 mile, so no problem with range.
Its a great car, spacious and super smooth to drive.
Manufacturer range is 233 miles however despite ordering with the heat pump option which is ment to improve optimal range in cold weather the true range never exceeds 170/180 miles.
Home charging is fine, finding a convenient charge point on longer journeys can be problematic.
Recent 300 mile round trip involved two motorway charges at Corley service, due to lack of charger availability closer to destination.
Each charge being 30 minutes, the return journey found all 6 charges busy and involved a additional wait.
There are many single point chargers but these often involve a wait if being used.
Love the car, but charging on longer journeys is to much of a faff and just adds stress to the journey.
Can't imagine wanting to go on holiday with my van under such circumstances.
A friend of mine in Hamble-Le-Rice is seeing his UPS triggering on brown outs to the mains at peak times now that so many neighbours are plugging in their EVs drawing 7kw.
Expect rich neighbourhoods with many new builds and old electricity infrastructure to start struggling with home charging too.
(PS I'm not in Holland, just that my avatar is stuck with the Dutch flag and I can't change it )

Another tip for anyone considering and an EV.
It's better to have the charging flap either on the front of the car or front wing .
Charge flaps on the rear require reversing in to many charge stations as the power leads are to short to park nose in.
It sounds like a small point but many multi charging stations, such as at motorway services are tight on space.

It's better to have the charging flap either on the front of the car or front wing .
Charge flaps on the rear require reversing in to many charge stations as the power leads are to short to park nose in.
It sounds like a small point but many multi charging stations, such as at motorway services are tight on space.
Would say rear is better - as reversing into a tight parking space gives more accuracy & your visibility of traffic is better when you leave the space.

Only downside is that you might not have space to open the boot depending on what's behind you!

Not at Corley, when cars are parked adjacent to EV charges, there's only the width of a single vehicle.
You then have to reverse against traffic flow and squeeze in to a narrow gap. Space between chargers is very tight.
When I parked with large vehicles either side I struggle to open the door.
Absolutely no way you could park up in a Camper/PVC.
Lets hope as charge site planning improves.

Not at Corley, when cars are parked adjacent to EV charges, there's only the width of a single vehicle.
You then have to reverse against traffic flow and squeeze in to a narrow gap. Space between chargers is very tight.
When I parked with large vehicles either side I struggle to open the door.
Absolutely no way you could park up in a Camper/PVC.
Lets hope as charge site planning improves.
Easy with a vehicle like the California, exit via sliding door.:thumb:thumb

I'm thinking that future EV's will likely have two charging ports, or at least the option to have an additional one added. Would make sense despite the additional cost I feel. Also provides redundancy - a faulty charging port would not be funny.

Just to add to the debate with a guenuine question ?
I was looking at the Porsche Tycan the other day (a retirement dream).
The sales person told me the battery was guaranteed for 8 years. What happens after that I asked? We don’t know they said you may need another battery + circa 12k.

So my question is with EV’s a premium over diesel/petrol vehicles why would you buy one now when you will need to replace the battery in8 years or less.

I know there will be an environment benefit - but is there such a clear argument with the elements in lithium batteries and their low recycling rate?

Just a thought - I know eventually we won’t have a choice but until that day comes I will my cali :thumb

nope, not the Cali but a replacement for the transporter to start with. Most probably in a passenger carrier and panel van guise.
According to this article there will be a LWB ID Buzz that will morph into a Cali....eventually.
In the interim it sounds like there will be a Ford/VW collaborative model.

I suspect batteries will last longer than warranty period.
I purchased a 2003 Toyota Prius then sold it in 2019, hybrid battery as good as the day I bought it.
Most cars after 10 years are basically worth very little, for vehicles such Porsche its very different however if you were to need a top end engine overhaul on a 911 costs that would cost 10 k plus.
Sorry, don't really see the problem, plus you will have saved a considerable amount in running/ fuel costs over that period to buy a larger proportion of the battery.

Faced with a $23K battery replacement bill the owner decided this was a better course of action for the used Tesla he bought

Just to add to the debate with a guenuine question ?
I was looking at the Porsche Tycan the other day (a retirement dream).
The sales person told me the battery was guaranteed for 8 years. What happens after that I asked? We don’t know they said you may need another battery + circa 12k.

So my question is with EV’s a premium over diesel/petrol vehicles why would you buy one now when you will need to replace the battery in8 years or less.

I know there will be an environment benefit - but is there such a clear argument with the elements in lithium batteries and their low recycling rate?

Just a thought - I know eventually we won’t have a choice but until that day comes I will my cali :thumb
I'm on my second Tesla model S having bought the first 6+ years ago (we upgraded to a higher performance version). We're just waiting for our 2022 California Ocean (going back to a diesel is another story, but suffice it to say we LOVE our Tesla)!
Our Model S also has an eight year battery warranty, but that doesn't mean that one day later it will expire with a 12k bill to replace it. The oldest Teslas are from 2012. I haunt the various Tesla forums and there are no indications of mass failures. All Teslas are permanently connected to the mother ship and there is a wealth of information about the perecentage of battery capacity remaining - even 8 year old cars are consistently above 95%! Electric cars in general have hugely sophisticated battery management systems that coddle the batteries resulting in such long service lives. In no way can these batteries be compared to the brutal charging and heating seen with a typical cellphone!
And let's say it does fail after 8-9 years? A model S (or the Audi) is an up-market car that can be compared to say a BMW 7 series. If you blew an engine on one of those, I suspect you'd be looking at 12K or more and would probably scrap the car, after having spent a small fortune on maintenance and fuel. Given that the Tesla has virtually NO maintenance costs and that running one is hugely cheaper than petrol or diesel, I continue to think the California will be the very last combustion engined car I own. Electric cars are far cheaper over 5 years, and are seriosly FAST and FUN to drive!
That's before I get started on environmental factors!
But we are really looking forward to our California :) !

The back of the seat is tickling the midpoint of the chassis though.

It looks more like a Berlingo size vehicle, so more of a replacement for the Caddy

There is a longer wheelbase version of the ID buzz, ID Buzz Cargo in the works that will be offered as a van and this is slated for the ID California but not until the later half of this decade.

it‘s definitely cool but it looks like a smaller vehicle than the current T5/T6 etc.
It looks more like a Berlingo size vehicle, so more of a replacement for the Caddy
The ID california comes based on the longer ID cargo (will come later); In the second half of this decade there will be an ID cali and I'm curious about it. Technical developments are moving fast when it comes to the electrification of vehicles. Everything will change and what we know now will be something completely different then. Until then - and longer - we can continue to enjoy the current California… if I ever get it delivered.

An aspect of electric vehicles that will raise its head in future.
Info gleaned on an American site discussing the implications of tyre (tire) replacement on EV's.

Bearing in mind the usual need for Campers to be all year use and be able to access various degrees of off the highway travel, tracks, camp sites, fields and muddy patches.

EV's are more efficient in power delivery in comparison to ICE powered vehicles. ICE powered ones have a high power loss in the drivetrain and engine. As a % the power lost by tyres is low.
However on EV's the drivetrain forms little power loss resulting in the tyres making a larger % of power loss. Tyres are now quite critical in their design for battery range. Ultra Low rolling resistance tyres are required which also need a high load rating due to the battery weight being carried at all times.

tyre wear is greater with EV's apparently due to the high torques experienced during both acceleration and regenerative braking.

All Season tyres or snow/winter tyres have a high drag factor and would have a far greater negative effect on EV's than the current ICE vehicles.

A great deal of research is going on by both the Vehicle and Tyre Manufactures to improve in this area due to the higher % factor of tyres on EV's.

One of the main results of the article was that as EV tyres are matched at production it is essential to replace the tyres with like for like to maintain the EV's design performance.

Wheel and or tyres swaps would be a no-no.

Not gone into the tyre noise issue being the same between EV & ICEV.
Think of the old issue of ticking clocks in RR,s that are impossible to hear over the 'normal' noise in Production cars.

An aspect of electric vehicles that will raise its head in future.
Info gleaned on an American site discussing the implications of tyre (tire) replacement on EV's.

Bearing in mind the usual need for Campers to be all year use and be able to access various degrees of off the highway travel, tracks, camp sites, fields and muddy patches.

EV's are more efficient in power delivery in comparison to ICE powered vehicles. ICE powered ones have a high power loss in the drivetrain and engine. As a % the power lost by tyres is low.
However on EV's the drivetrain forms little power loss resulting in the tyres making a larger % of power loss. Tyres are now quite critical in their design for battery range. Ultra Low rolling resistance tyres are required which also need a high load rating due to the battery weight being carried at all times.

tyre wear is greater with EV's apparently due to the high torques experienced during both acceleration and regenerative braking.

All Season tyres or snow/winter tyres have a high drag factor and would have a far greater negative effect on EV's than the current ICE vehicles.

A great deal of research is going on by both the Vehicle and Tyre Manufactures to improve in this area due to the higher % factor of tyres on EV's.

One of the main results of the article was that as EV tyres are matched at production it is essential to replace the tyres with like for like to maintain the EV's design performance.

Wheel and or tyres swaps would be a no-no.

Not gone into the tyre noise issue being the same between EV & ICEV.
Think of the old issue of ticking clocks in RR,s that are impossible to hear over the 'normal' noise in Production cars.
I wonder if there is a difference in the tyres sold by Tesla in Norway compared with California? Unless of course the Norwegians don't use their Teslas in winter?

Back