Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I'd like an extra 2 seats to make a 6 seater- but how?

M

macdo

Hello,

We bought a 1993 California T4 Westfalia this summer in Germany, its our first camper and so we're new kids on the block.

Its a 4 seater with 2 rails.

We'd really like to get an extra 2 seats to make it a 6 seater so that we can travel with friends (we already have 2 kids in car seats taking up the bench).

Can anyone tell me how I go about getting the extra seats and what I should be looking for, and where? Can all the Westfalia's take an extra 2 seats?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi, I've recently done this too. I bought a LHD 1993 van in July & the first thing, after getting it checked over in the garage, was to get another seat as there are 5 of us. There may well be an easier way, but I went to a local vw scrappy & brought a twin cab seat, took it to a metalworkers/engineers who measured the floor area, then welded on a plate with 4 holes to alighn with the floor tracks. They welded 4 bolts on to some steel plate that we placed in the track and then dropped the seat in to place and secured with wing nuts. Not sure its legal but does the trick very well & all can be removed in minutes & the seat thrown in the awning. The seat cost me £70 & a family member did the rest for me. Looks fantastic and I can now safely transport 6. Good luck. Will try & upload a photo when mine is back from the garage in a few weeks if helpful

Dear Casstro,

What you have done sounds impressive, (and also quite daunting!). How are you getting on with it?

I was wondering how it then works with your insurance- my vehicle is registered as a 4 seater, and I'm just wondering if the extra seats are improvised how you go about having the additional seats recognised for insurance purposes?

It would be great to hear how you are getting on.

More worrying than what your insurance might say is the safety of those passengers in an accident. Let's hope the 'wing nuts' are upto the job ! Other wise I think there is a strong chance that seat and occupants will become detached in a significant accident, probably taking out the driver and front seat passenger as well! Think carefully

maybe look at selling the full fat cali and get a cali beach with bench seat in the back and the extra 6th seat ...all legal ,safe ,tested and covered under insurance :thumb :thumb ;)

I've had a LHD '92 Cali for around 3 months now and would like the option of taking at least one more person around (5 seater). Been looking at the Westy ones as per the link above, 1200 EU! Any cheaper options, don't the rail seats from a caravelle or van fit? Either that or has anyone had an extra lap belt fitted to the standard rear seat, tight but no worse than a Fiat 126. :cool:

You could fit the 2 seat front bench seat which is fitted by VW in some Transporters in place of the front passenger seat. You can even get a swivel mount for it.
This would be safe as it is a legal VW part. How your Insurance company would deal with it and how DVLA would treat this is another matter.

Thanks, I've seen those fitted in Bilbo vans, its just the missus likes the easy access the the back to sort the 4yo out. Maybe the way to go though.

http://www.campervanlife.com/forum/...and-guidelines-for-camper-vans-and-motorhomes

Just found this link, hadn't considered that because the vehicle is old I don't actually need seat belts as its before 2001. Without going down the safety road, has anyone changed the seating capacity via the DVLA to 5 seats without any problems?

I phoned my insurance and they don't have a problem with one seat not being belted as long as the DLVA are happy its classed correctly.

Back